Brian Larsen's Learning Log

Rock on Tor. Rock on Daddy-oh. :+1:
A proud moment!

1 Like

You have every reason to feel this way Brian. Your boy has groove and the band hang together so very well. If I were a teenage girl I’d be swooning :star_struck:

2 Likes

Come on … maybe just a teeny weeny little swoon anyway :grin: the dude is cool :laughing:

And as I begin to think underwear I shall hit the big orange button

2 Likes

I thought it, but chose to keep myself nice David :laughing:

2 Likes

What a great show, proud daddy moment for sure. How come he’s not shown up at any of the Open Mics so far?? :smiley:

1 Like

Oops, I’ve been neglecting responses here- apologies and many thanks for all the above.
(Tor has no intention of ever joining me in an open mic but I might persuade him to play some bass on my next small collab) :smiley:

1 Like

Spending time in the community

You know you’ve been spending too much time online when people start enquiring about your absence after two days radio-silence :rofl:
Thank you for your concern, @roger_holland :wink:

After nearly two years of caring for my mum with dementia, the whole family felt it was time for her to move back to Dublin into a nursing home. It has been a positive experience for everyone concerned, with many highs and lows along the way.
I recall writing a post back then that my increased duties would leave me less time to spend on the Forum. In fact, the opposite happened. There were many hours where I would sit in the same room to keep her company, but with limited meaningful conversation possible, I would often check out what was going on here, usually adding my two cents. I was very grateful for the parallel activity.

After Easter, we’ll be back to a household of three with much more time available for me to pursue other activities. I’m not even going to guess how much/little time I will spend online here, (although cannot imagine not checking out what is going on). I would be surprised if it doesn’t become a tad more ‘erratic’, like most ‘normal’ people, which is probably a good thing.
Meanwhile a big thanks again for providing entertainment, distraction and support on this wonderful platform. I’m doing very well and looking forward to new-found freedom. Mum is in an up/down adjustment period but with plenty of support from close family and friends.

Here are before and after pics from a whirlwind trip to the Emerald Isle.
(Goodness gracious, I need a trim! :laughing:)

8 Likes

There it is again… :smile: :joy:

Well, that’s quite a story, and what a huge change that will indeed be, so much “freedom” and time to spend from now … have fun with that,… now your mother is a long way away, that seems to me a bit too far after such a close period, … well, at least you have spent enough time together in recent years, I thought so… …
And indeed, my dear god, I thought they shot your hairdresser…
Greetings

1 Like

Brian, I believe you mentioned the 12th so your Mum is now, hopefully, safely settled in and adjusted to a new home.
Thoughts are with you all, it must be strange without her.
What a grand and fitting final fling to life under your roof bringing her in to the open mic event.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Keep on keeping on, Brian, wish you all well, the best it can be.

I can empathise, having been through these ups and downs that are so often part of this stage of life with one’s parents. I recall your post back then and again can relate to how much comfort being a part of the Community and one’s own musical efforts can be. As for your additions … always worth more than 2cs. The Community without your presence, comments and music, would be a duller place for me.

2 Likes

Hey Brian just read your post and thoughts are with you and yours truly, must be very strange with mum now being away but as Richard said what a grand gesture from you to invite her over to an OM and for us to enjoy the presence.

Take as much time as you need, pop your head back in whenever you can and there will always be someone who will be glad to have a chat :slight_smile: all the best

Never an easy decision to make but sometimes the hard ones are for the right reasons. Thoughts are with you and your family. Your Ma shone at Richard’s OM. Your contributions here are always entertaining and a welcome beacon as life throws up challenges. So keep on doing what you are doing.

:sunglasses:

Fan-bloomin’-tastic!
Nuff said.
:grin:

New beginnings? :thinking:

It’ll be nearly 5 years since picking up a guitar in a couple of months but I’m embarking on a new approach.
I started off so enthusiastically with Justin’s lessons and made reasonable progress, getting to grips with open chords, simple strumming and basic theory. Then along came the old forum and I became increasingly ‘distracted’- fascinated and enthused about how much I could squeeze out of so little, shooting the breeze and sharing my (dis?)abilities with a bunch of weird guitar enthusiasts who had no qualms about egging me on :rofl:

I drifted further and further away from the lessons and spent more time hanging out on the forum. Learning to play basic A & E-shaped barre chords opened up a whole new horizon, basically allowing me to look up the chords to any obscure song I wanted to learn, simplify the chords and strum away, wailing along into my cheap camcorder or phone.
I had a ball.
And I improved :smiley:
However, my main improvement has been to become better at identifying chords/song structures and learning the phrasing of the vocals, so what used to take weeks I can now do in a day or two. That’s great but is no longer enough. Over the last couple of months I’ve been thinking I should work on improving my technique. I sort of started that in this month’s AVOYP thread, by posting a basic fingerstyle piece, as well as taking a couple of pointers from one of Justin’s lessons on The Weight. It feels good to be pushed out of my comfort zone again, fingers and hands not doing what my head wants them to, knowing that if I stick with it long enough, at some stage I’ll look back and marvel again at improvements.
Validation of my thought processes arrived yesterday via straight-talking Dutch commentary and an impressive bit of strumming by a Scottish septuagenarian.
Thanks guys :smiley:

Well, what are the implications?
For starters, I plan to spend less time on hacking away at my keyboard talking about music and guitars, practicing and learning instead. (I was a bit taken aback when I had a look at the Community stats section and saw how much time I was spending here! :roll_eyes:)

I am typing with a pick in the corner of my mouth, which I plan on learning to use as my default (on electric).
I need to learn the theory and practice of some of those alternate chords and voicings (sus, add etc)
I am going to search the site for lessons on strumming and perhaps invest in one of the courses.
I want to learn the notes of the fretboard better and how the different scale patterns link together
I want…

Well I’m going to stop right there, because I’m also aware of my epicurean butterfly tendencies and how this ‘plan’ is likely to go up in smoke when I stumble across a really cool song that simply needs to be shared.
But as Joey famously shouted: “Hey ho, let’s go!” :smiley:

9 Likes

So it does look like that fingerstyle playing was the start of a new path.

What’s your plan with the techniques - to pick a grade/module in the course and start from there? Pick and choose? Leap into more complicated songs?

Kudos to you for choosing to improve your playing skill. It is probably a more frustrating path along the way, though. So while you are planning on reducing your time on the forum, hopefully you’re still around a lot. Maybe just with shorter and less posts?

Really dig your approach there Brian and fair play for trying to further improve your game! I think it’s not a case of not being able to learn new things, but a case of strong will and persistence to keep at it. With the right approach and patience I am sure your goals are more than achievable :slight_smile: all the best and I wish you good luck!

Tjemig de Pemig… :flushed: :flushed: :flushed:
Where do I start…no I’m not going to name everything but somewhere in the back of my mind was what Adrian says in the other topic and when I read that I remembered it and again it was a big shock again :exploding_head:…but better half turned than completely lost :laughing:

And I really just want to say … good story :sunglasses: :rightwards_hand:,
And definitely try out a pick for a long time … I use it every day,do not like it very much if I don’t have any difficult single notes (licks and sometimes still without a pick) to hit then I think it’s super nice to play without a pick rhythm guitar,it sounds so much softer and tighter to me the way I play it, but the more I practice something with a plectrum the more beautiful it becomes without (are you still following me???) it teaches me to hit much more subtly i know and feel now .

And otherwise if it do not work… just playing Jeff beck and Mark Knopfler :grin:

And speaking of your time on the forum…I’m glad they didn’t keep track of the time I spend looking into Justin’s head during song lessons :flushed: :woozy_face:

I greatly look forward to your progress and will do my best to distract you as much as possible :innocent:

Greetings… :sunny:

And you have lost your right to be tagged if I want to talk of you with others :smirk:
but that clashes with my desire to distract you…mmm your"luck"

Sounds like a cunning plan Mr Larsen and that of which you speak will take you to new heights. Just try your hardest to avoid the :rabbit2: :hole: :rabbit2: :hole: and all will be fine. But it takes a lot of discipline to stay on a steady course, especially when there is fun to have and music to make. I have taken a similar approach this year and reduced my forum profile, being selective on what I respond to and making more guitar time. Its beginning to pay off, so I would advocate that your intended approach is a good one.

The only question is and as JK intimated are you jumping back on the rails and following the homepride moto of graded g(r)ains or cherry picking modules to meet your needs?
Whichever it is write them down in some way, so you keep them in mind and stay focused.

Bonne chance !

:sunglasses:

Best of luck on this new path Brian and don’t let yourself get distracted by the many shiny things that you will inevitably encounter along the way :sunglasses:.

Good on you Brian, a change of direction indeed but one that, imo (not that that counts for anything!), will bring you a lot of value and fun.
Some nice clear goals, I look forward to seeing the fruits of your focus :slight_smile: