Brrrr It’s Cold Out!

Haha thanks @roger_holland it makes sense now, I was going through a backlog of topics to check after my vacation and I didn’t notice.

Stupid me even recalled a guitar being made “a while back so this must be yet another one?”

THAT DIY I followed yes :smiley:

oh boy.

Aah… I would love to be able to build guitars. I fear the only guitar I will ever be able to build is this beautiful Lego-guitar https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/lego-ideas-fender-stratocaster-21329

And yes… I had been reviving Mari’s old thread. @roger_holland you are perfectly correct. Didn’t want to fill the forum with two freezingly cold threads…

Seems the cold spell will end next week… Weather in Porvoo - Finnish Meteorological Institute

2 Likes

Same for Thunder Bay, Ontario (Canada), which is just north of Minnesota, we’ve had the warmest December in recorded history. January is supposed to be closer to average, but except for the impact on things like the forest fires in summer 2024, and the water table, I would easily take the unseasonably warm temperatures over averages!

1 Like

Finland is pretty close to Thunder Bay, Ontario’s weather averages, with TBay being a bit colder. I thought you might find it interesting though that - according to Wikipedia, but also things we just know as locals - “ Thunder Bay, Ontario is home to 14,510 people of Finnish descent, the highest concentration of Finnish Canadians per capita in the country, and the second largest Finnish population in Canada after Toronto which has 14,750 persons of Finnish origin.” You can’t compare TBay population of 110,000 to Toronto’s population of $3M though!!

1 Like

That’s massive :slight_smile: And it also explains why it’s so cold there, usually… Simply too many people with a small percentage of icecold Finnish blood :cold_face: Even the first part of your username (Mari) is written the Finnish way… But I guess, you know that already? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t know that! It’s short for my full name, Marigold, which was my mom’s maiden name, and is Irish. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

What a lovely name. Not joking. I seriously mean it. Yes, many Maris here… Hmm, if I try to fennosize your name it would be “Marikulta”… Doesn’t sound as nice. But you can actually hear it in such sentences as “Mari, kulta, kuulehan nyt.” (Mari, dear, now listen, please)

1 Like

You think the Finns would move somewhere warmer if they were going to all the trouble to relocate. They must be crazy…

1 Like

Highway to Hell ! :rofl:

1 Like

According to my husband they moved there “because it felt like home” :house_with_garden:

1 Like

Ha… And how on earth will I get this worm ever out of my ears? It’s gonna haunt me deep into my dreams … :nerd_face:

1 Like

Well the coldest I’ve been was -20C at midnight in the middle of the Icelandic National Park, watching the northern lights. Have to say that was too cold for me so not sure how you survive -30C and below!!

Ah the ACDC Tonttu will keep you warm :rofl:

1 Like

That’s a wild one, I can see the fire shining through his eyes. Will serve me well tomorrow at work since old-fashioned double-glazed windows and icy temperatures don’t go too well together. Now,I have a gnome antidote

1 Like

Not sure, if I ever experienced -30 C or more. That’s rare in Southern Finland. In the North it’s about that cold at the moment… Bit more than -20 C is okay - if there is no wind, with windy weather though… Yes, that’s a totally different story.

The lowest temperature I ever recall was Feb 1986 when we moved back home to Thinder Bay from the west coast. It was minus 50 with the wind chill! That’s just crazy. Minus 20 with no wind chill is a fine temperature, good for walking our dog too :slightly_smiling_face:

From last winter, not much snow yet this year.

2 Likes

Yes. Minus 20 without wind is mainly a question of clothing… But then I had to call someone yesterday when I was outside and took off my gloves for some time. Bad, bad idea.
Wow, tough :dog2: He / she looks so happy and alert. Is that a German Shepherd mix? :grinning:

We had his dna tested and it said he has no GSD dna, but our vet doesn’t believe it. We say he’s a Shepherd Husky cross. He’s a very sweet boy, just turned 7 and still a puppy :heart:

1 Like

Yes, they are so great at that age. I wish, I could have a dog. In fact that was my first reaction when my husband’s nurse in ICU said that he will have to exercise more. “We will get a dog!” … Well, it’s not possible … but I can always dream :slight_smile:

1 Like

Minnesota has the highest Finnish population of any American state, mostly in the northeast part (closest to Thunder Bay).

2 Likes