Covers re-imagined / revisited

Here’s one I discovered a little while ago…

First, the original…Jimmie Rodgers

Now the cover…

I think this band’s cover was more widely known than I realized when I saw it earlier this evening, but was new to me. Song has been covered by hundreds of musicians over the years though.

My favorite cover of this one was my grandaddy’s version. He was a Southern Baptist preacher by the time I knew him, but in younger years he was a bit of a troubadour, singing cowboy. I think I heard him sing two times, ever, but to this day I have never heard anyone else sing Jimmie Rodgers better. Plenty of pretenders that think they’ve got it down, but folks, I’m telling ya, Mr. J.T. Hill of Lockesburg, Arkansas did it better than anyone else I’ve ever heard.

1 Like

In my teens I was a huge fan of Lynyrd Skynyrd and remember this song very well. I never realized it was a cover. Thanks.

1 Like

Here’s the original

And here’s the re-imagined cover (metal)

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: Well that was different.

1 Like

Haha, great stuff - one of my favourite covers from Frogleap: Sultans of Swing (metal cover by Leo Moracchioli feat. Mary Spender) - YouTube
A great collaboration!

Not quite a cover, but I nicked that crackin’ tune exactly two years ago in one of my early attempts using Trio+ with video production. I was at the cutting edge, content-wise :laughing:

2 Likes

Indeed. Not the sort I was expecting from Mary Spender. She did it with style.

1 Like

Very good, better being at the cutting edge than on the cutting floor

1 Like

Yeah, definitely outside her comfort zone but it provided a very interesting mash up :sunglasses:

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner @DavidP @sairfingers
Here’s a great song to steal some major pent licks and a great lesson on phasing.
also a great cover

2 Likes

This guys ace.

Finding inspiration
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

He’s exceptional. He inspired me to think about burning my guitar. Ha.

1 Like

Ace indeed! He’s got the perfect voice (and look) for Southern Rock. He can play the 6 string pretty good too.

@stitch @TheMadman_tobyjenner

Thanks for the share. Great music, exceptional performer, inspiration (indeed, Toby, you dropping hints left, right, and centre)

I noticed his index finger on the A mini-barre, appears to be using significant pressure based on the redness of the finger tip.

Fantastic licks and timing as you say, Rick. At this stage lots of inspiration for the future as I focus primarily on bending and vibrato technique, that are not yet well-enough down to use fluently in song.

@stitch @TheMadman_tobyjenner @DavidP
Thanks for the links and ongoing encouragement. That guy is terrific. Listening to and watching music like this helps to get the idea of licks and phrasing into one’s head.

Like you David, I’m working on bends and vibrato at the moment but certainly can’t bend on my acoustic like that guy!

Gordon

Sounds like you need a good old dose of Southern Rock !! Hey and take all he does and drop it on the SG !

This is a great collaboration for The Weight by The Band, superb!

3 Likes

Always reminds me of Easy Rider :smiley: Stunning song and this is a great collab on the original. Nice one Darrell.

1 Like

Man, this just shows what a GREAT song that is. Brilliant! Thanks for this one. Good one for me to end my day on here.

2 Likes