Dan from Virginia

Hello everyone; glad to be part of this community.

I played guitar as a teenager in the 60s and put it away for almost 45 years. I’m playing again - albeit with stiffer fingers - and want to improve upon what I know and sound more musical and not so mechanical when I play.

9 Likes

Welcome to the forum Dan

1 Like

Hi Dan, welcome to the community.

1 Like

Hi Dan welcome to the growing crowd of us all in the same boat!

1 Like

Welcome Dan!!!
The key is doing it, and singing while playing.
Singing forces the guitar playing to keep up.
Also, imho, the strumming hand is the soul and the spirit of your song.
Again, keep playing, and be free and flowing… just do it!
Yeahhhhh!!!
Rene

3 Likes

Welcome Dan

1 Like

Welcome to the community Dan :smiley:

1 Like

Dan, welcome to the community forum. Don’t let your fingers slow you down. I started again on the first module at the age of 66. I find that the more I play, the less stiff my fingers become. Just follow Justin’s advice and slowly warm up your fingers at the beginning of each practice. Have fun playing songs.

1 Like

Hey Dan, welcome to the forum. The guitar journey is a marvelous trip to be on. Look forward to hearing more from you.

1 Like

Hi Dan,
Welcome and i wish you a Lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Hi Dan, welcome to the community!

1 Like

Hi Dan, welcome! All that matters is that you are playing again and hopefully enjoying yourself. It’s a solid foundation to want to improve on what you know so I wish you all the best and much fun :+1:

1 Like

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the community glad you came back never a better time to learn :+1:
A

1 Like

Hello Dan, and a warm welcome to the community. So nice to have you here :hugs:.
I’m sure, playing the guitar will improve the flexibility of your fingers over time.
I wish you lots of fun along your guitar journey and hope to hear more from you :smiley:.

1 Like

Hello and welcome to our community Dan. :slight_smile:

Once you improve you’ll find your groove and then the mechanicalness disappears.

1 Like

Welcome :hugs:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Dan. Don’t worry about the hands, with practice your dexterity will improve.

A hero of mine (Mississippi John Hurt) played wonderful guitar in his twenties, and then reverted to being a sharecropper for 30-40 years, until he was rediscovered when he was in his sixtees, and played the guitar wonderfully and dexterously.

And if it is all to no avail, I recall reading that Banjo players developed something called clawhammer style, which basically was an adaptation for people that did hard agricultural work with scythes, and shovels and rakes, adopted, as their hands had been molded over the years to these implements. And they did make wonderful music with it! Just have a listen to Rhiannon Giddens recordings, just to mention someone.

1 Like

Welcome Dan, and greetings from South Australia.

From playing in the 60s to playing in your 60s :grin: . Nice to have you here with us.

1 Like

Hello Dan, welcome to the community. I hope you enjoy your time here.

1 Like

Hi Dan, welcome. At the beginning is just being able to do it; expression comes later when the player is able to deliberately adjust his or her playing to suit the mood of the song or piece. It can take time to develop the hand dexterity (stiff fingers or not), but also the ability to hear his or her own playing. Good you’re playing guitar again.

1 Like