DavidP's Learning Log

I started a few months before you but am nowhere near as advanced, maybe I don’t play enough. Given the similar time we have been playing I have been impressed with your progress. I hope you can put your medical issues behind you enough that you can spend more time with the guitar(s).

1 Like

Well @DavidP , like happens alot around these here parts! You, and the many other regular community members have inspired me to get my first, well, for lack of better words “mashed” learning log in place. From beginnings to years end review. I have been a member now for a bit over a year. I will have to check when I actually joined. May be quite the write up.

P.S. - You seem to be driven to play no matter what! I believe that is a big part of keeping on playing and progressing. Obviously the meds and taking care of yourself is massive part as well! :wink: However I find motivation a very powerful tool! Here’s to many more years of playing bliss!! :partying_face::beer: .

1 Like

@brianlarsen @jkahn @skinnyt @Dman74

Thanks guys, I do appreciate all the comments, the encouragement.

It is true that I find massive value in being an active member of the Community. I have always spent so much time in the Community that many would say that more time playing would be a better choice. And that was before being asked to join the JG team as a Mod (probably why I was asked, chicken and egg).

But after many failed attempts to learn to play from the moment I first decided I wanted to be able to play, the difference that made the difference and enabled the progress made was Justin’s Beginner Course (as it was when I started) AND the Community.

As such my desire to support and encourage others in their adventures, is a high priority, to give to others more than others have given to me. It goes well with my own sense of purpose and actualisation (as per Maslow). My happiest most fulfilling place is where I am able to contribute to another’s learning, growth, and fulfillment. I see that in my role at work, in my years in Toastmasters, and here in the JG Community.

And over time if that has slowed my own progress as a musician that’s fine. No regrets. In fact, the fact that I can call myself a musician, irrespective of my play-grade, is more than I bargained for on Dec 16th, 2016 when I picked up the guitar for one final attempt. A few original songs, collaborations, live performances (both Community OM and the local music club), lessons with Justin, contributing as a Mod … I would not have believed it had you told me I’d accomplish that when I started.

Now, as people particularly in sports like to say, I am in a difficult moment. I can’t lie and say I have been resilient and persevered, pushed through. But in my mind I have not thrown in the towel and will find the way back into action.

And all the support and encouragement from the Community is a motivator.

6 Likes

David, I have only seen small hints of your challenges throughout this year, but reading your update brought a lot into clarity and I commend you for your openness to share. It must have been, and I imagine still is, a difficult time. I have no wisdom to share but do send you plenty of these :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

On the playing front, I have thoroughly enjoyed the performances you have delivered this year and especially your original “I Love the blues…” which I have found inspiring as I baby-step into learning the genre.

Thank you for all your hard work in the community, I am sure a substantial part of why this is the great place that it is comes from your kindness and support.

Wishing you all the best for 2024 :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi David, congrats on your 7th anniversary of guitar playing with Justin. Enjoyed reading your LL and also your insightful and encouraging posts on the forum. Merry Christmas and best wishes for the new year. Here’s hoping you have a healthy 2024 with lots of guitar playing.

1 Like

Knock-knock :fist::fist::fist::door:…oohhh, the door is open…Hi David! I took the liberty to enter and surf through your latest update…now some of the orange links titles caught my attention more than others…but first things first!
I was glad to read you had a proper holiday and could enjoy your son’s company as well! On the other side reading about your life and health challenges made me think that I should complain less with my own and just be happy to try and do my best each day. David, the antimflamators, they are not good, my husband is abusing and paying all the consequences of that! Roots of problems must be investigated and …I know roots sometimes might be so deeply hidden or maybe too much on surface and …ok I’m going to stop this, as I have no right to intrude in such matters of yours and please take the liberty not to reply…I’m just very angry with my own husband and pills and…
Let’s get back to Music! That first playing out in public in the back of your car was really great to watch and listen, face contorsions included…can we aknowledge it out loud?!

LEARNING TO PLAY THE GUITAR TAKES EFFORT AND BEGINNERS FACES MIGHT BE SOMETIMES FUNNY!

I used to wonder about my strange and contorted expressions and ashamed of them, it took a while to understand that they’re just really natural and to embark into the journey to turn them into smiles…(now I’m cooking up something for you!)

I loved to read about your 4 keys to learning and I could relate a lot about that feeling talent lack; we’re so lucky to have Justin as a Teacher, and this faboulus Community as well, it’s so important to get and give feedback from and to others!

Your playroom looks wonderful …so many guitars! :heart_eyes: …and you have a Classical one too and an Uke too!

I just started having a look at your YouTube Channel and enjoyed very much your rendition of Knocking on Heavens Door and the joy of playing that shone through… now here Time is Boss and I have to go but, not before telling you that again, reading the YT Channel description I once more could relate so much to your story.

Your guitar journey is very inspirational David! Keep on rocking and rolling my friend!

1 Like

Missed this additional update Mr P. All I can say is regular bod or mod, you’ve always been 100% committed to supporting and encouraging others, since you rocked up all those years ado and its been my pleasure to share the ride with you. I am sure you will find a way back, even if it takes some more baby steps. Don’t forget it ain’t a sprint man, it ain’t a sprint.

Wishing you good health and musical prosperity as we head for another New Year.

:metal: :sunglasses: :metal:

1 Like

Apologies @nzmetal @Alan_1970 @SILVIA @TheMadman_tobyjenner I’ve been catching up on the unread posts and a tad tardy in responding to your replies.

Thanks all for the good wishes. I’ve been playing around with the electric, trying to tap the muse for some inspiration for the song in progress.

I can’t say my fingers and hand are 100% but ok enough to play without pain.

Silvia, no apologies needed. I like to hear people’s thoughts on all topics (other than those that violate our Community Etiquette). I totally agree on the side-effects of those anti-imflammatories. I’m trying a natural remedy that I hope may help.

The classical guitar, uke, and bass are actually my wife’s instruments. These days her love is woodwork, metalwork, and making things. But on those rare moments when she picks up an instrument, she naturally plays songs better than I do, sings better than I do but ability and interest aren’t always related. So I only have four guitars, which I will claim to be totally justifiable based on the differences between each instrument :laughing:

5 Likes

Hi David bit late to the celebration of your anniversary, but just wanted to say well done and definitely bar was lifted this year! Shame your health stands on the way of further progress, but hopefully when new meds will kick in you’ll become your old self again health wise! All the best

2 Likes

@adi_mrok Thanks for stopping by, Adrian. I guess we all face our challenges, ups and downs. Things are moving ever so slowly in the right direction.

2 Likes

Hi David, I was starting to listen to your learning log and see a little of your guitar journey. I listened to your first public performance which was actually good for an unrehearsed first performance. I was wonder whether this guitar was an addition to your guitar collection or borrowed. I guess you wouldn’t take your Celebrity out to leave in public and exposed to the elements. Oh - I saw the answer in your post #9, it was a Fender Paramount PM-1 Deluxe acquired during “a severe attack of GAS”.

1 Like

Hi David, I listened to these 2 recordings from your Dec 2021 reposted Road Case story of your first DAW recordings for the Forum competition. I was learning from the BC course about that time but was not on the forum and missed out on the fun. I never heard about the competitions. As a singer, the only thing that I noticed, especially on I Walk the Line was that your singing sometime got off rhythm from your guitar playing and you had to sing the lyrics a little faster to catch up. I guess that is the problem with overdubbing. :slight_smile:

But even back then, you were still ahead of where I am now with recording. I purchased my Focusrite DAW a year ago and it is now in a cabinet and I still am recording from my phone. Your example will shame me into action and get me to set up my DAW and R0DE microphone.

Thanks @SteveL_G99 I appreciate your comments. And if my efforts serve in anyway as encouragement then I shall be delighted.

1 Like