Fire & Rain by James Taylor

Hi All! This is my second attempt at a fingerstyle song. I always admired fingerstyle players but didn’t think I could do it but Justin’s fingerstyle lessons got me started and I’m able to figure it out by practicing one note or one phrase at a time. And here’s a link to Justin’s Fire & Rain lesson. You’ll see I play it at a considerably slower speed - about 62 bpm vs his 77. All thoughts, advice, comments welcome:)

Thanks for listening!

36 Likes

Very nice.

1 Like

Beautiful delivery and interpretation Mike, what a gem. I wouldn’t change a thing.

1 Like

That was great Mike. I am not much of a finger style player so I can’t offer any advice on technique etc, but it sounded beautiful and your voice really suited the song.

1 Like

Thanks so much Eddie! I don’t much like listening to my own voice but I have to say that EQ and compressor adjustments in my DAW made big improvements.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Thanks

Excellent performance! Your rendition at that bpm works well.

1 Like

James Taylor’s songs lend themselves so well to this type playing. I think slowing it down simply made it your own. Nice job.

1 Like

Great guitar playing!!!

1 Like

Wow, great work, both playing and vocal sounded absolutely solid. And great track that is too​:+1::+1:

1 Like

Lovely all round performance Mike, some really expressive elements in your playing there and vocals tallied up soothingly well. Bravo :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Lots to love, Michael, well played, sung, and the recording sounds so good.

1 Like

I love that song and that was a beautiful beautiful recording. Lovely playing, and great vocals. The tempo suits the song as well, it certainly didn’t feel slow. I noticed in the verses a couple of times you skip half a beat. It actually works fine and if it’s intentional then leave it. If it’s not intentional though play along with the original to identify where it is and then you can sort it (use a slow downer app to play along at your speed).

1 Like

Wow Mike that was really great. I’m a big fan of James Taylor, being able to play this song so clean while singing…props to you. Came out really natural too.
Keep them coming!

1 Like

Thanks Mari. I will be looking for that missing half beat😀. For some reason, I do that every once in while - take out or even add a beat to some section in a song. I don’t even hear it but my guitar teacher points it out. So I’m impressed - you must have a good ear for timing!

1 Like

Great job on a tough song!

1 Like

Hi Mike,
After more than a year I’m not that far yet…well done
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

That was great Mike. I have worked on this song on and off (off lately), but you did a great job. Nice steady rhythm on a complicated song.

1 Like

Thanks so much! I think it’s the most difficult song I’ve tried to learn - it’s a hard slog getting my fingers to do what they’re supposed to do but it’s fun all the same:)