First AVOYP- Chocolate Jesus

Thank you, for watching and encouraging my progress!

Aw, thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words! I kind of combined elements from the Tom Waits version and the Beth Hart one and then threw some salt over my shoulder. Alhough I’m still developing it, I’m glad you liked my version!

Your supporive words mean a lot to me. Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you for taking time to watch and comment! I will take all the suggestions I’ve seen here and continue to practice. I especially like your idea of using a drum beat to set the tempo. I have been encouraging my daughter to learn drums, but that’s really no excuse to wait. I keep forgetting I can use my DAW for both metronome and drums. One of my next goals is to learn more about using technology to get better sounds and recordings.

I appreciate your support and guidance! I hope to post more regularly in the different areas of this community. Although I’m not much in a position to give advice, I do want to encourage others by sharing more about my struggles and success. Heaven knows I’ve learned plenty from you guys! I especially like the idea of starting a Progress Log. Anyway, thanks for watching!

1 Like

Thank you for the warm welcome and support!

Hi Donna, I’m so glad you have stepped out from the shadows.
What a wonderful entrance to AVOYP.
Such a great song for interpretations of the bluesy-growl and playfulness. I always enjoyed the version posted by our friend @batwoman who then did a great collaboration with @RomanS
You brought a staccato shake-jerk-and-talk style which really worked. If you’re looking to smooth out the edges and make the playing smoother and softer then I would recommend some specific strumming and rhythmic exercises to get a fluent and relaxed forearm and wrist.
I look forward to more.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Me Too Donna, I really enjoyed the song, and the way you performed it. It was a wonderful first posting! As others have said, you really presented the whole package, playing, singing, video. Yes, some may feel that your singing was a bit jerky, and the timing was not exact - for me though you took the song, and you played and sang it as you feel it. As you said it, it is your version! Which is quite fine, and allowed, if you have seen the bull-horn rendition by Tom Waits of Chocolate Jesus. Looking forward to much more! Do you already have the next one decided on?

1 Like

Hey I’m a fan :smiley:

I think your voice is nice with good dynamics overall. As others have said, the strumming hand is everything to have the song feel relaxed and in the groove. Great work!

1 Like

Well that was an awesome debut AVOYP. Really enjoyed listening to it. I have no words of wisdom to impart, except to say I look forward to the next one!

1 Like

I appreciate your reflections and tips! I’d love to be able to play the song in multiple ways, so I will take your practice suggestions to heart. Yes, I loved the audio posted by @batwoman. I must have missed the collaboration though --need to go check it out.

Thanks for watching and giving me feedback! I do hope to learn to play more steadily and smoothly while conveying the song’s playful attitude. I think that after the Xmas party, I will start a practice log with some of the other things I’m working on.

Thanks for your kind words!

Thank you!

Hey Donna
That was great! I loved your version, really enjoyed it - very entertaining. :smiley:
You have a really nice voice too!

1 Like

Sweet mother of J,… :astonished::sunglasses: :partying_face: :clap: :clap: :clap: :bouquet: :man_bowing:

Hi Donna,
What a first video, … but if it’s your 10th video then it was also great,… and you Are a singer,… Go and train that too,…and then you will make many more people happy, … AMAZING. :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Hi Donna, not much to add to all the above. Really enjoyed the song and your performance, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Aw, thank you!

1 Like

Maybe one day I will get proper voice training so I don’t have to cringe through my own singing so much. Baby steps, right? Anyway, thanks for all the encouragement!

1 Like