First AVOYP - Shallow

Hi Everyone,

Here’s my first upload to this community, or any community for that matter! Been playing to myself in my basement for awhile, and finally ready to get some feedback from other humans. I value feedback and would be grateful for any constructive criticism.

A bit about my journey. I’ve dabbled with guitar on and off for the past decade. Sadly that includes multiple multi-year stretches of not touching the guitar in between. Recently I’ve rediscovered my love for guitar and am keen on taking it more seriously this go round and progressing beyond the ‘4 chord song’ plateau. As far as vocals I’m a true beginner, just a couple months into that journey. Never considered that I could sing and play but was very much inspired by Justin’s learning-to-sing-bg-1903 lesson.

Best,
Vijay

24 Likes

That sounds great good playing and singing too !

2 Likes

Congrats Vijay on your first AVOYP. Thought you did a great job playing, enjoyed hammer on chord embellishments you included and vocals sounded fine to me, a good starting point to improve on. Well done, glad you brought your playing out of the basement to share. Best wishes, Alan

1 Like

Seriously good Vijay, onto the open mic nights for you :+1: :grinning:.

1 Like

Hey ViJay - that was really good - I can sympathise with the multi-year breaks. My only criticism is why haven’t you posted before!? Let’s have more!

1 Like

Very well done Vijay, in both playing adn singing. :slight_smile:

R

1 Like

Welcome to the Community, Vijay, and congrats on the first post to the Community and extra points for it being an AVOYP.

An enjoyable performance, all sounding pretty good, no specific feedback from me.

It’s customary though not obligatory to post a short intro with some personal background, guitar history, and your goals/aspirations as a JG student and Community member in Introduce yourself ...

Look forward to you joining in and contributing to the Community.

1 Like

Nice playing and singing, will done for breaking the ice!

1 Like

Hi Vijay! Welcome aboard!

I am another person who can sympathise with multi year breaks from guitar.

The most important thing is that the journey continue and that it be fun!!

You’ve done a nice job on this song. .As far as vocals go I personally love to combine the singing with guitar.

Shallow is quite a whopper of a vocal to try to sing. . .I won’t even touch it cuz I can’t get the Lady Gaga chorus to come out as anything but a loud shout . . . . :rofl: :rofl:

As others have said before me, nothing for it now but to continue posting videos. . .it’s one of the best ways to get feedback and improve. . .hope to see more from you !!

Have a great holiday season!!

J

1 Like

Welcome Vijay. Nicely played and sung, well done.

1 Like

Hi Vijay,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun AND congratulations on your first video, that is an important and underestimated step in the learning process :sunglasses: :partying_face:
I liked it :sunglasses:
Greetings ,Rogier

2 Likes

Welcome Vijay and congratulations on your first post. Very nice smooth playing and I really like your voice. Great job!

1 Like

Welcome Vijay. Thank you for your very enjoyable post. No criticism from me until I screw up the courage to have a go myself! Don’t put the guitar down again!

2 Likes

Welcome Vijay and well done of your first post. Playing and singing sounded good just don’t give up this time.

1 Like

Welcome ViJay Great job on your playing and singing hats of to you for your first AVOP :clap:

1 Like

Wow what a wonderful community. Truly encouraged by all the feedback and appreciate the nudges to keep going/posting! @DavidP I’ll make a point to do an intro post.

2 Likes

Congratulations on the first AVOYP. Very well performed. Playing fingerstyle and singing at the same time is impressive. I like your voice too. I can’t wait to see how your playing and singing will evolve over time. :slight_smile:

Regarding what to improve. The guitar sometimes sounds slightly off. As if it’s not fully in tune. I’d recommend double-checking the tuning before recording.

1 Like

Congratulations on your first AVOYP Vijay.
Pretty impressive mate. Good to get that first one out if the way hey?
Some minor flubs with a few chords, but as long as you’re aware of it, its all good.
Your singing is fine too mate.
All the best.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Hi Vijay
Welcome to the community (it is wonderful :smiling_face:) and congratulations on your first AVOYP!
It was very enjoyable to listen to and well done. You have a lovely voice, so good for a ‘true beginner’! Please don’t put the guitar down again! :grinning: :sunflower:

1 Like

Shallow is a tough song vocally and you’re doing great! Keep it up. I hope to be able to sing and play at the same time but I’m in my first month and a half of learning to play anything. :slight_smile:

1 Like