First post, first AVOYP - Driver 8/REM

Hi

So this is my first post on the JG forums, so a very brief introduction:

I got my first guitar in the late 80s. I was totally self-taught, and picked up basic cowboy chords from a teach yourself guitar book. I never got very far with it; that guitar mostly sat unused in a closet for the last 20+ years.

Back in the fall of 2023, I decided that I’d really like to spend some time and energy learning to play, and found my way to JustinGuitar. I started with Grade 1 at the beginning of November, and finished Grade 2 a couple of weeks ago.

I also treated myself to a NGD about a month ago, finally upgrading my old beater guitar for something I really love (Martin SC-10e in sapele, for any folks who care about such things).

Anyway, I thought I’d bite the bullet and try posting a video. I’m thrilled with the progress I’ve made in five months, and look forward to progressing to Grade 3 once I’ve spent some more time consolidating.

Finally - I picked Driver 8 not only because I love the song, but because it seemed to incorporate so many of the skills I’ve been working on - strumming variation, slash chords, muting the low E string, sus chords, and playing by feel/without looking.

17 Likes

That was really great Andrew. You’ve clearly put in a load of work over the past months. As you said, you’ve incorporated all the different skills you’ve learned into that song. Great choice of song.
Great strum pattern and loads of dynamics in your guitar play and a super vocal too.

I’m not so sure about the low E string mutes though. Either the string is out of tune or your mutes are not quite right and you’re playing the string.

Great debut and I look forward to more from you.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! I suspect I wasn’t getting the mutes quite right and hitting the low E when I didn’t want to (mostly while playing the D in the chorus).

Andrew

Top marks: really confident strumming with lots of variation yet still delivering a rock solid core for the song which you sang well.

Brian

1 Like

Gosh, thanks so much, Brian! Appreciate the kind words!

Welcome to the community Andrew.
Great little tune. Nice solid strumming, changes, and fine voice right out in front.
All the best.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Thanks so much, Shane!

That was super Andrew. Very confident and smooth strumming and your vocals were perfect for the song. The sky is the limit for you if you keep this pace! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks so much, Eddie!

1 Like

What a great introduction! Very solid performance there Andrew.

1 Like

Hi Andrew. Welcome to JustinGuitar and the Community.
You arrive in fine style with some early REM - right up my street.
You have lots of good going on in your rhythm, concentrating on those skills is really paying off and being showcased in this recording.
I get that you’re trying to play without looking but, one thought … if you ever do an open mic (and judging by this you could comfortably), you will need to hold your head still or your vocal will be off beam. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well done Andrew, a good performance, and welcome to the community.

1 Like

@Richard_close2u - Great point; thank you so much!

@jkahn - Thanks, JK! Appreciate it!

@mathsjunky - Thanks, Paul!!

1 Like

Excellent performance Andrew. It was noted by others, but your strumming seemed spot on. Welcome to the community!

1 Like

@TheCluelessLuthier Thanks so much, Mark!

Great job

1 Like

@Jwaters Thank you!

Hello Andrew, and a warm welcome to the community :hugs:.
Wow, what a great first post and recording :star_struck:.
Fantastic strumming at such a high pace :+1: :clap:.
Great vox, too. Very enjoyable :blush:.
Thanks a lot for sharing!

1 Like

@NicoleKKB Thank you so much!

1 Like

That was great. :+1:t2:

1 Like