Grade1 Exam Song #1 - Mad World

Here’s my first exposure. Be my judge! :slight_smile:

18 Likes

Well done, Andras, you are doing just great. The chords well formed, clean changes, smooth strumming. Lots to be pleased about.

The only suggestion I’d make is to watch your index finger when you change from the Em to G. Over time work on getting it under control, keeping it closer to the middle finger.

Bravo, keep on keeping on

3 Likes

Hi András, I’d say that a pass mark for your first Grade 1 Exam Song. That’s a good piece of advice from @DavidP. There was a lot to like in your first AVOYP. I look forward to seeing your second song.

1 Like

Hi Andras. As someone still learning as well, I can say overall very impressive work. You have great balance in rhythm, something I need to work on. One more top…The same feedback my ten year old daughter gives me- smile in your video :grin:.

1 Like

Hi András, that sounded great to me. I liked it.

1 Like

Well done Andreas, you’re rhythm is good, you have good flowing movement in your strumming arm, chords are clean.

1 Like

Well done András, that was a confident AVoYP debut. I look forward to more from you in the future.

1 Like

Well done Andras on Grade 1 and a fine rendition of a classic!
Clean chords. Impressive with the rhythm and strumming - a crucial skill that will hold you in very good stead moving forward.
Looking forward to your progress mate.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Nicely done András. I can only reflect what others have said.

Grade 1 is in the bag. :+1:

1 Like

Well done András, that was a very good AVOYP debut and a great standard for Grade 1. In addition to what others have said about clean changes I also see that you have achieved the goal of maintaining a steady, consistent swing of your strumming arm in a Down-Up cycle. Bravo. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Check out my second video if you’d like.

Nice rythm and nice clean chords and changes. Good work!!!

Keep up the good job :+1:

1 Like

That was really nice Andreas well done! Any plans to move onto an acoustic or electric any time soon? :slight_smile:

1 Like

really nice! I’m impressed. Keep up the great work

1 Like

Thank you, @adi_mrok !
Last christmas at the beginning of my journey I was seriously considering buying an electric guitar but I just didn’t want to make such an investment knowing that I tend to give up things pretty easily. So I set myself the goal of completing Grade2 hopefully by the end of this year, and if I managed to do that, I’d purchase one.
At least this is my initial plan… The F chord might make me change my mind. :smiley:

1 Like

I think learning an F chord on nylon string could potentially do you a favour however most certainly once you jump over to a new guitar brace yourself that you might need some more time to conquer the F chord :wink: all the best

1 Like

I like it, I like it a lot! It’s not a requirement to sing, but it’s highly advised. A song like this needs melody, and singing will deliver it. Go at your own pace, stay the course, do the songs in the courseware, but try and introduce some vocals. Melody is what makes a song a song (for the most part). Nice first outing sir!

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback and advice, @CT. I tried to sing several times to different tunes but I just couldn’t keep the strumming rhytym while I was doing the vocals. Have to work on that, but now I’m focusing the playing part more, until the strumming will be more automated. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s a normal thing. As you progress you will find that having some melody from your vocals will help with the rhythm playing. I’m not sure why it works that way. When it clicks in, you will be glad that you worked on singing and playing. For now maybe stick with one down strum per beat and just humming the melody in time.

3 Likes

Mad World is tricky to sing and strum , because the vocals span the chord changes. I found Bad Moon Rising much easier, though had to slow it down a lot.

Here’s my Mad World lead sheet, in case it helps:

1 Like