Greetings from Thailand

Hello, my name is Skip. I’m an American expat living in Thailand. When I was nine years old I wanted to take trumpet lessons at school, but my father didn’t want to spend the money on renting an instrument. When I was eleven my mother snuck me in for some guitar lessons. It was great, but when my father found out he went ballistic. He banned all forms of music in our house, except the music he liked… Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, The Andrews Sisters, and… the Mitch Miller singers. Still, I continued to listen on my little transistor radio, about the size of a pack of cigarettes. God bless the person who invented ear buds.
I tried guitar once again, but I was in the military and it was not easy to keep a guitar around without it being damaged or stolen. So I gave it up. Career, marriage, kids, divorce… life just kept me busy for a long time. But I have always loved listening to music, especially guitar music.
Now I’m retired and finally have time to get back to the guitar. While I still love listening to rock and blues, I am also very much into more laid-back music. Think Hank Williams Jr. song “All my rowdy friends done rowdyed on down…”
I bought a used Yamaha L310 but just couldn’t play it. So, I purchased a new Yamaha FG800… and it’s great! I am on Module 1 Lesson 2 (or is it the other way around?). After scouring the internet for lesson plans I think Justin Guitar is where I’m gonna be hanging out.
Cheers, chok-dee, and see ya!

8 Likes

Hello, Skip, and welcome!

You’ve come to the right place, Justin has built the end-all, be-all place on the internet to learn guitar. Whether you just want to strum a few cords or learn to melt faces you can find it all here.

Cheers :beers:
Richard

1 Like

Welcome tl the forum Skip

1 Like

Hi Skip,
Welcome to the forum.
I am a newbie here in the forum, but I haven playing guitar for more than 50 years, still yearning to improve. Guitar playing is truly a blessing for me, and I am sure you will gain a lot from this venture.
I am also a military retiree, and I want to thank you for your service, my friend!!!
Must be great to be in Thailand, we frequently visit Thailand onboard ships on deployment, and really enjoyed our stay in Thailand!
Warm regards!!!
Rene

1 Like

Hi Skip,
Welcome and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,rogier

Hey Skip, welcome to the community. I retired recently and sure enjoy the extra time it gives me to play guitar. Look forward to hearing more from you.

1 Like

Hi Skip, a very warm welcome to the community! With Justin you’ve found the right place to learn, he’s an amazing teacher and his courses are the best. The community, full of music and guitar enthusiasts will help you whenever you need good advice! Have fun and enjoy your musicality!

1 Like

Hi Skip,
I’m nearly 4 weeks in on my Justin Guitar journey, so welcome from another newbie. I think we are often destined to play a certain instrument but a lack of time gets in the way. No excuses now, you go for it. Good luck

1 Like

Hello Skip, welcome to JustinGuitar and this great community.
We won’t be stealing your dreams or your guitar here - simply encouraging and supporting you to realise your dreams and play your guitar.
You have come to the right place for learning and meeting with like minded folk also taking the steps you want to take. And it’s never too late so enjoy the whole journey from here on in.
Cheers
Richard
:slight_smile:

What a story Skip…a very welcome to our Community…enjoy your journey…it’s never too late and I think we all can work and build to our “fair share” of playing. See you around here! :blush:

Hello and welcome to our community Skip. :slight_smile:

You are amongst other guitar lovers here, so pull up a chair and enjoy.

Hi Skip

That’s a familiar stop start journey, with life and all sorts getting in the way. But you’re not alone in starting (again) later in life. Never Too Old To Rock n Roll !

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Skip, welcome on to the community! Retirement does have its benefits, doesn’t it! Nice to hear that you found the right travelling companion:

Lots of success in your musical endeavour, and find yourself some Blues to play…

1 Like

Welcome to the community!!! An excellent one it is! Getting my guitar stolen is what stopped me from playing for a few years before good old dad got me another! Now ya can’t stop me thanks to this community and, of course, JS and the JG team!
Rock on! Cheers. SOCIABLE! And peace out!! :fist_left: :v: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Skip, welcome to the community. You’ve found the right place to finally make the music that you weren’t able to play in your youth.

1 Like

Hi Skip welcome. Good you have given you the opportunity of learning guitar. Today is the right time. Enjoy it.

1 Like

Welcome Skip,

Glad you have taken the time to follow up on a dream never to late and as long as your enjoying it that’s all that matters.

Enjoy :+1:

A

1 Like