Guitar Challenge (Lead Guitar) - Need Your Love So Bad

@DarrellW Thanks Darrell, I’ll give that a go. I have been finding that I love the tone on the first two notes of the first lick on the G string, but don’t like the tone on the notes on the B string as much. The B string seems thinner somehow. Maybe that is to do with the higher pitch of the notes, don’t know?

@RobDickinson Thanks Rob. I think my biggest hurdle is not enough hours of practice :grimacing: I do follow the reference note approach plus try and apply bends on licks that are well ingrained in my memory, like the Smoke on the Water riff, and I use a pitch meter as well. I think fair to say that I have got better at hitting the pitch on my bends, at least getting closer, close enough. And it will keep getting better if/when/as I put more hours in more frequently. And learning this solo is a fun way to put in those hard yards.

@sairfingers Thanks Gordon, appreciate it.

Oh yeah, don’t want bending and licks to become my albatross, I want to be a man of the world who can play some blues. That thrill is still coming, not gone.

1 Like

Listening to After Hours in the car this morning. Anyone need a distraction after they are done here, this could be a good starting point.

2 Likes

‘That’s it, good night, go home’

Lovely share, Toby.

Now time time practice me licks and bends :grin:

1 Like

Nice share Toby, some nice easy licks to nick off that!

1 Like

Back again :grin: The hares have moved on, the near hairless tortoise keeps on :laughing:

I more or less have the licks memorised to be able to play through the right notes, and remembering when to hammer or flick. Couple of spots where I am breaking the flow of a lick. So making progress.

Tone wise, I tried out the British Crunch preset, gain and vol to taste, bridge pickup rolled off a smidge, tone rolled off a little more than a smidge.

Next goal will be to play along with Justin’s final slow play through at the end of the lesson.

The observant among you may notice that I am not playing it on the frets used in the original. I de-tuned a semi-tone and played it all a fret up. Why you may ask. Well that does take string tension off to make bends easier but that was not the reason. For something beyond me, in standard tuning when I try to bend the E up to F# on the e string the sound just dies when I reach a semi-tone up. Only happens on that fret … so I worked around it.

1 Like

@DavidP That’s coming along nicely David. I know what you mean about weird frets. When I play SCOM intro in standard tuning I get buzz but when I play it dropped I don’t. Must be something I’m doing wrong but can’t fathom what it is.

1 Like

Coming along nicely David. All present and correct but as you say flow and timing is in progress. To work on the phrasing (on going :rofl: ) I dropped the Gtr BT into Reaper and looped each section at a time and focused on the timing of each phrase. It was the last lick that was tripping me up but not looked at it for 10 days. Maybe later this week but you are sounding good sir.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Definitely a progress here David you are doing well, tone wise a lot better in my opinion so that is a huge improvement. Now it’s hust working on getting those bends right and you will so just fine! All the best :slight_smile:

1 Like

@EndlessRepetition @TheMadman_tobyjenner @adi_mrok

Thanks for the positive and encouraging feedback, guys. I really do appreciate the support.

Leon, took me a while to figure out SCOM but got it eventually. I guess like my weird thing it is something about a specific fret. And I suspect something quite small on the guitar setup. I’m not going to fuss since I have that tune down work around.

Toby, I will keep working at the licks, still some hesitation at times and flubs. And I have started to try and play along with Justin’s last slow play through from the end of the lesson. I cropped that out of the lesson video and can play it on a loop. When that is done then his full speed play through via YT so I can slow it down to the same speed and try to get up to original tempo. At present it is that last like before the diads that seems blisteringly quick at slow speed.

Adrian, I had a go with a preset on the amp as the foundation and that helped with the tone. Have tuned down I found myself over bending but every now and then it sounds right to me and the pitch meter confirms.

Happy days!

Yeah, still not up to speed with that one. Have the timing now, well had 10 days ago. It could well have gone to “rats” by now. Yet to plan this weeks strategy but it will be heavily Blues biased one way or the other. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Very late to the party on this challenge. But it is my first video post to the JG Community. Gotta start somewhere! :man_shrugging:

A slightly different version than the others posted. This one is called Take 3 on the Pious Bird… album. I chose that version, because I already had the recording among my digital library and because it doesn’t include the 1 1/2 tone bend. :grinning: I also like the more mellow (almost jazz-like) tone Peter Green had on this version.

My backing track is not the best (karaoke mode in Transcribe!), so there is still a little bit of Peter’s guitar bleeding through if you listen close. But I wanted the strings in that take that aren’t included in the other backing tracks I found.

Please be kind. I hate seeing myself on video.

11 Likes

Thomas,
Congratulations on your first video, :sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet:…and shame on you that it’s only now your first :smirk:…,you are gooood, :sunglasses:…very well played ,very very well…
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Very nicely done Thomas. Not familiar with that particular version but there are quite a few variants knocking around. Good to avoid that 1 1/2 bend its a killer. Look forward to hearing more from you.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

@VeloVagabond
Sweet and tasty, Thomas. Well played, with a lovely tone. Bravo

1 Like

Thomas that was really good, well done on taking this solo! Great to see other folks joining the challenge :wink:

2 Likes

Super tone. That was terrific Thomas, just a bit too short. :smiley:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy: ‘bout time we heard off you!

1 Like

Haha once I find some time for it absolutely as I love this solo!

1 Like

Congratulations of your first AVOYP posting Thomas.

That was some tasty playing. Very smooth and laid back. Love the look of that guitar as well.

1 Like