Guitar Challenge (Lead Guitar) - Need Your Love So Bad

Great effort guys, Darrell put the bar high but I think you are all on a good path here! Rob and Toby once you nail down tabs in your brain and you can focus on the feel and more fine details I think musting strings as much as you can will be an important step. Rob you are a brave man trying to nail it on an acoustic, good luck with a 1.5 tone bend I would definitely fail even though I don’t have problems on electric with 10s strings :sweat_smile:

You guys definitely have my attention, perhaps one day I will join however I am off tomorrow for a weekend so will need to catch up probably when the flame goes out (as usual) :rofl: in the meantime I would like to see David and how is he cooking up the good stuff :wink:

I would perhaps suggest an additional topic in challenges section with links only to performances? And keeping this one alive for discussions?

1 Like

We’ll just have to keep stoking the fire then !! Thanks and have a great break.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner sounds good, Toby.

I’ve had a first nibble at the first couple of licks. Going to take me some time to just learn the notes, let alone play them :smile: But I’ll get there in my own sweet time.

2 Likes

That sounded really good!

I tried this a while back (unfinished project) and I found that lick where you bend & then drop the bend and play again, I really like the sound of it when I only drop the bend a fraction before playing it a second time. Try it and see what you think.

Not bad at all Toby, I’ll give you a little cheat trick you can do to quieten down open strings! Being as you’re not going to use them just slip over one of those headband things that mute the strings, that’s what I do!

That’ll mess with me ponytail, as I ain’t got no spares !! I see lots of “pro’s” on YouTube doing that kind of thing. Sophie Lloyd has her first Truefire course (not a good teacher, way too fast but other factors prevail :wink: she’s got some velcro gizzmo.

Seriously, yes good tip for home recording for sure but I need to sort it good n proper and if I ever get my Justin sessions sorted (personal circs have a brake on that) it will be top of the agenda. “Don’t worry about it will just happen” I beg to differ !!

Despite the BMW Greenie pre-set just dialed in a John Lee Hooker pre-set and had a run through. MMmm maybe PG went shopping one day ? Very similar but a bit more “madman” raunch !

2 Likes

So those strings have been on that guitar for about 20 years no kidding, no idea what they are, time to replace, have to look into what.

I know the timing was off with that but I’d only been trying to learn the licks for 10 min before I killed the e string, really surprised it wasn’t B string with that big bend

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: The Madman’s Learning Log

OK not one to make a great deal of use of LLs to track progress but a recent suggestion made me think a line in the sand was required for this new project.

So after a recent post in What Are You Listening To, by @DavidP of Gary Moore playing the Pete Green classic, Need Your Love So Bad and comments by me, @stitch suggested Dave and I were perhaps ready to have a crack at the solo. Especially as Justin has a great lesson
https://www.justinguitar.com/songs/peter-green-need-your-love-so-bad-solo-chords-tabs-guitar-lesson-cs-003

I always have a huge confidence crisis when thinking about taking on some of these iconic songs of my youth but given my recent Blues journeying, it seemed maybe time to have a crack of it.

So having watched the lesson yesterday evening, I decide to take some tentative steps this morning. And then for some strange reason thought it would an idea to record it.

Its raw, there’s a few clams and the nuances are a long way from where they need to be. But you have to start somewhere.

Did this on the Gretsch but will most likely pursue with Smokey or Cherry, the LPs. :sunglasses:

Link to an earlier posting with the two recordings: Guitar Challenge (Lead Guitar) - Need Your Love So Bad - #37 by TheMadman_tobyjenner

1 Like

Coming along nicely Toby. Well done.

1 Like

That’s very well done for only one day. :beers: Polish that turd into a nice shinny diamond and use what you leant in your blues lick study course. You’ll find your technique in both phasing and bending will have improved.

@sairfingers Thanks Gordon early days.

@stitch it was a quick 45 minutes this morning to get the feel, including the recording. And yes the Blues lick study is really helping in all areas here. Just revisiting with one the LPs amped up and its showing more areas to work on - you can get a way with a lot with an unplugged semi !!
Now fumbling on a couple of licks but jumping around a few other bits and piece I am working on but I will spend some time fully focused solely on this later. The guitar part of the backing track will help as a guided to get that PG touch and feel.

Might not end up a diamond but I’ll take a shinny :poop:

The Madman’s Music Studio is on :fire: Coming along great. Well done.

1 Like

Coming along nicely, well done

Fast out the gates on this one, Toby. All the work learning licks is clearly paying off to get the notes and bends down. The tone sounded pretty good as well.

James n Trevor thanks for the comments, its encouraging feedback. :sunglasses:

1 Like

:rofl: yeah I wanted to get an early reference point as it came together quite quickly, from an end to end perspective and as Rick kinda said, polishable, if there is such a word ! And for sure the lick work and especially the “diary melanges” I’ve done helps me to see where I am going more easily. As for tone that’s my stock clean practice tone. Its a HiWatt 100 DR103 model on the Mustang and my go to Diablo setting (everything on 6). I just have Overdrive, Reverb and Modulation available when needed. But it sounds much better with the LP and tone right down. But I plan to search my Fuse archive for Greenie Preset. Bound to be one.

Poked around with this enough today, so now off in another direction this evening.
Reckon you will enjoy it when work and power allows.

Cheers

Toby

I made a start last night, just the first couple of licks. Lots to learn and develop just on the first lick, the bend, dip, vibrato. Tone is interesting, I liked the sound on the G string, but the B string lacks the same warmth.

Look forward to you playing this over the BT.

1 Like

May be a while before I hit the BT but plan to use the gtr track to get closer on the lick timing and feel. Drop it into Reaper so I can see the waveform and where I am falling short, as well audible comparisons.

Just break it down bit by bit and I am sure you’ll get there ! Have fun.

1 Like

Time to lower the bar …

I’m having fun trying to learn this. I’m currently focused on the first 4 licks, just really trying to play the notes and bends, not yet worrying about timing. Gotta start somewhere.

5 Likes