Have you named your guitar(s) yet?

I bought my guitar with the money I got for my 55th birthday back in September. Itā€™s a Yamaha beginner guitar that I got at the last minute before heading back to Scotland when I was visiting my mom. I was gonna buy a normal beige guitar, but the salesman mentioned he had the same model in black in the store room. He brought it out, and I fell in love. Heā€™s so damn beautiful, all black and shiny. I call him ā€œJohnnyā€ for the Man In Black. Iā€™ve loved every moment Iā€™ve spent with him; well except for the moments where I canā€™t get him to play automatically what I want him to play! This is me and my new ā€œbest friendā€
Me and Johnny

6 Likes

Thatā€™s a great name, nice to meet Johnny

1 Like

Iā€™ve called my guitar many things, wouldnā€™t say Iā€™ve named it though.

I am lame with the guitar names. But I do also have a motorcycle history, although my ā€˜fro was never so magnificent.

Unfortunately, motorcycling ended on the front end of an Oldsmobile in the mid 90s.

Never participated in this Topic first time round, but why not.

First guitar to be named was my electric, not by me but by the Community.

On my NGD post, somebody made a comment about liking the body colour but not the knobs. @batwoman picked up on that and shared that the contrast made her think of Van Goghā€™s Starry Night. Later after posting some audio samples @CT referred to the guitar as a ā€˜blue beastā€™.

And so my electric was christened Vincent Blue Beast.

Later I named my acoustic Rose, the lady in the couple, simply after the rosewood back and sides of my Fender Paramount Deluxe. I fell in love with the sound of that guitar when considering an acoustic upgrade. Iā€™d sat trying guitar after guitar and it took just one strum, a D7 as I recall, to be seduced by the rich warm tone of that chord, a cord which I usually find far too bright for my liking.

6 Likes

I havenā€™t named my guitar yet.

For me thatā€™s half the fun of GAS, figuring out a name.

@DavidP I really like it when names happen organically.

1 Like

I havenā€™t named my guitar either. However, reading this thread now I want to :sweat_smile:. As my guitar is an imitation of the iconic Angus Youngā€™s SG. Maybe I should call it something like Youngie. I accept suggestions, though :sweat_smile:

Iā€™ve never named my cars, either. My guitarsā€™ names are just the ones on the headstock.

1 Like

My guitars are named, my motorbike is named, my RV camping trailer is named, heck even my wife and kids have names.

1 Like

And they donā€™t come when you call them either :blush:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a given, heck, the dog only comes when there is food involved.

1 Like

So far, Iā€™ve been calling my guitar just ā€šthe guitarā€˜ - very creative, I know :smile: .
Inspired by this thread, I thought of a bit more personal name.
ā€šBlue Pearlā€˜ was the first name, which came to my mind, as my guitar has a wonderful blue colour. But this name wouldnā€˜t be very creative either, as my husbandā€˜s car is already called ā€šBlue Pearlā€˜ :rofl: .
Thinking a bit further, ā€šJoyā€˜ came to my mind, as this is exactly, what my guitar brings to me. (Ok, sometimes itā€˜s also (finger)pain and frustration - but I prefer focussing on the good times :innocent: .)
So, Iā€™ve just decided, to give me a while to mull this idea over before I make my final decision :wink:.

3 Likes

Why not combine them all and call it ecstasy? :rofl:

1 Like

The Gambler

6 Likes

:rofl: :joy: Great idea :rofl:

1 Like

My first guitar was a steel string acoustic with a high action that, rather like @DavidP, I have always vaguely referred to as Rosie because she has a rosewood body. My fretting fingers never managed to get used to her, I have no doubt that I have particularly wimpy sensitive fingers but they blistered repeatedly, and then would peel, and be as soft as ever and so the cycle would go round again and again. I gave up playing so many times that in the end years would disappear between attempts.

It had never occurred to me that I would get on far better with an electric guitar but it has been so much kinder to my fingers itā€™s ridiculous. I named my electric guitar Jet. And while my fingers still get really sore, they are rarely so bad that I canā€™t fret at all, and are toughening up.

I hope to go back to Rosie one day (once my fingertips develop the durability of leather maybe!) as she sounds lovely but for the time being I donā€™t want to risk incapacitating my fretting hand for weeks at a stretch again so Iā€™m resisting temptation!

And no pics of either because theyā€™re just entry level instruments and I can only imagine of very limited interest to anyone else :joy:, unlike their more illustrious cousins displayed in this topic thread. You certainly have a collection of beautiful instruments amongst you. :heart_eyes:

Still, Jet is perfect to me, which I guess is what counts, and gives me all the motivation I need to keep learning and playing.

5 Likes

Great names. Perhaps Rosie could do with a setup to get a better action?

1 Like

So nice to read the names of your guitars :blush: My acoustic is Jude, because when I decided to buy it I was singing ā€œdonā€™t make it badā€¦remember to let her into your heart, than you can start to make it betterā€, as a reminder to my own self. My classical is Elise, because Fur Elise main theme has been my very first try at a classical piece. And I also have a DoReMi which is a little boy, a children cute guitar which tuning pegs now really need a liuther to fix them :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Thanks Tony, yes, that definitely seems sound advice and Iā€™m sure youā€™re right, that must be what she needs. I suppose I always thought of set up as something that is carried out on a higher end instrument (well, I never said I was sensible :smiling_face:) but given that she will probably have been manufactured with minimal loving care Rosie undoubtedly deserves a health check so a few adjustments can be made.

1 Like