Hello from Ben in Olalla, WA

At 74 I am another not so young beginner. I decided in early February that I would like to start learning guitar and after some research and watching a lot of YouTube videos I ordered a Harley Benton HB 35+. It arrived on February 14th and I didn’t have a clue as to where to start. I checked out a variety of videos on YouTube and that is where I discovered JustinGuitar. After watching a few JG videos, I visited the web site and that led to signing up for the beginner course. I am in grade 1 module 4 at present and am enjoying the lessons and the progress I am making. I am concerned that I might be carrying forward too much from previous modules though. I have still been doing chord prefect and one minute changes for all the chords through module 4. I am just over three weeks into the lessons and today marks one week on module 4. My chord changes range from 102-104 per minute except for Am-Dm which is at 65 and still doesn’t feel fluid or easy. I also added changes for C and G chords and just practicing fingering the F barre chord to get a feel for it before it comes up in a future module. My current practice session takes about an hour and I find myself picking up the guitar frequently throughout the day. I wish I had done this years ago.

16 Likes

Alright! keep up the good work!

That’s the reflex that tells you’re motivated; make sure you keep it fun as well!

Don’t worry, most of us do :wink:

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum Ben

2 Likes

Welcome, Ben!!!
Music feeds the soul!

2 Likes

Welcome Ben. Have the same, wished I had picked up guitar long ago . Wish you a fun and enjoyable guitar journey. :pray:

2 Likes

Welcome Ben! :wave: Beautiful looking guitar you have and can’t go wrong with a katana amp, I have two myself. Sounds like you’re already progressing really well and great that you’re constantly picking up the guitar, that’s the key I reckon. All the best with your journey :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

2 Likes

Welcome from another old guy. I’ll be 74 in a few months myself, but started when I was 67. Still plugging away at it. The main thing is to just have fun. At our age we’re not likely to become rock stars! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

True. The process of learning and eventually having a pocket full of songs to play will be satisfying enough.

3 Likes

Ben, welcome to the community forum. Don’t worry if you are slow in finishing some of the module activities. When you finish Grade 1 modules, you’ll have a chance to go back and fill in any gaps while you consolidate what you have learned by having fun playing Grade 1 songs.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community Ben :smiley:

2 Likes

Hello Ben,
I wish you a long life of playing guitar with a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Hi Ben and welcome to the JG community.

2 Likes

Ben, beautiful guitar! I started to play at 68 and was hoping to make it to 74 :slight_smile: . You’re an inspiration for me. Thanks!

3 Likes

Welcome Ben! WOW, over 100? I didn’t think that was possible except for those crazy professional musicians! I blew myself away when I hit 70 for a couple of mine. I’ve since added with OMC using the C chord and though they’re only a minute each my practices were getting so long combined with everything else that I dropped the ones where I’m over 60 to doing them once per week to make sure I keep them up and concentrating on the C chord changes and any others lower than 60. (Plus I dread doing them, so…) :upside_down_face: I am curious though, are you having trouble strumming the correct strings at 100? I am down in the mere 30s and 40s!

2 Likes

A warm welcome to the Community Ben! :blush: Your guitar is a real beauty :heart_eyes: Enjoy your journey!

2 Likes

Thanks LunaRocket! I don’t feel like I struggle “too much” strumming the correct strings at 100. That is not saying that it is not a struggle. I keep the count as high as possible to make the changes, but on some combinations I will sometimes lose the rhythm and have to reestablish. I do hit the E and A strings sometimes when I shouldn’t and at times when I decide to do the lessons, my brain and fingers are just not on the same page and I take short a break and try again. When I start doing each new chord change exercise, I begin at a slow count and adjust the count up to the point that I am just able to keep up then increase the count each day as much as I can. I am thinking about dropping a few chord changes from my practices too, but haven’t so far because I kind of like seeing how high I can get the count.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community. Playing guitar is such a joy. You are progressing very well, keep it up, you won’t be disappointed.

2 Likes

Hello Ben and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

That is a tasty looking guitar.

It sounds like you’re making good progress. Keep at it and those changes get easier, especially when you start learning songs with them in.

2 Likes

Hi Ben,

Great story, it’s never too late. Everybody has their own rhythm, don’t push it. Take your time, relax and enjoy it.

cheers,
Richard

2 Likes

Hi Ben, welcome. The important is that you are enjoying playing the guitar now and not the what-ifs should you had started earlier. I don’t see wrong with exercising a little with the chord changes beyond the minimum Justin consider enough for your level. At some point you can drop the ones that you’re already flying with if you which so. I have a few exercises that are permanently part of my routine or I’ve carried them beyond the lesson that were introduced. A song at 120 beats per minute tempo would have only 30 chord changes per minute if the chords change at the beginning of each bar. If someone can do 60 chord changes per minute then doing 30 is manageable even adding strumming into the equation, but it won’t work if someone is doing 15.

3 Likes