Hi, I'm Rainer from Cologne, Germany

Hi guitar friends … where ever you are!

I’m Rainer from Cologne, Germany. I thought it’s time to introduce myself to this kind community.

I started learning guitar at the end of 2018 with Justin’s classic course and later switched to the new structure.

First of all I need to say Thaaaank youuu Justin!!! Without your and your teams great work on course and song lessons I wouldn’t be where I am now.

It was a long lasting (youth) dream. Now I’m 58,… it took a while to make it real :slight_smile:
I am not in hurry and used to take my time studying things I’m really interested in. Beyond that I had some breaks due to an accident, to much work, or whatever else - but I never felt to loose the connection to my guitar. Actually I’m still in grade 2 and will move on to module 12 now. Still trying to more regularly find time for complete practice time. Often it’s late in the evening when I pick up the guitar for at least one song. But it’s going on and helps me to calm down.

My first and only guitar is a Dowina Sauvignon GACE DS handcrafted in Slovakia. It was a lot more expensive than I thought at the beginning of searching “the One” for me. But I tried several other ones which didn’t make me smile as this one did and still does. (Meanwhile their price is nearly twice as high as 2018, unbelievable…)

Several years ago I did a lot of Brazilian percussion in a band. Now this helps me a lot in strumming. At least it’s not that hard for me to see what’s going on in strumming. E.g. I had a look at the Wonderwall strumming pattern and it was quite okay.

When I first tried to sing along while playing guitar I was surprised how difficult that was as lyrics are often across the beats. That was Killing me softly… Later I recognized that it’s easier for me to sing and play along instead of play and sing along. What I mean is that playing guitar is the foundation which supports the singing. When my primary attention is on singing it feels better to me. At least for some songs this ‘happens’ to me.

Thanks to everyone who brings music into our world …

12 Likes

Welcome to the forum Rainer

Hello Rainer and a very warm welcome to the Community.
This is a great place for al lJustinGuitar students of all ages from all nations to come together and share their stories, ask for help, get a little encouragement and feedback and make new friends.
:slight_smile:

Hi Rainer and welcome.

:wave:

Hallo Rainer und ein herzliches Willkommen aus Österreich :hugs:.
This community is such a wonderful place of support and encouragement. Nice to have you here :slightly_smiling_face:.
You’ve got a beautiful guitar (I’ve just asked G**gle to show me some pics :wink:). I wish you lots of fun along your guitar journey and look forward to hearing more from you :smiley:.

Hi Rainer,

welcome to this, our wonderful Community. Wishing you a wonderful Journey on pursuing your personal goals in guitar playing and singing, you are bound to find a lot of good advice and support here. And, there are a few of us that live in Germany…

Tjeerd

Hi Rainer, great to meet you and thanks for the detailed introduction. My parents were both from Germany and I have quite a few relatives still in Germany. I started playing guitar at the age of 53 and Justin was a significant part of that. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome nice intro.

@stitch @Richard_close2u @TheMadman_tobyjenner @NicoleKKB @tony @TRJ @JasonBuk
Thank you all for your warm welcome :pray: :blush:
… especially those of you from Germany, Austria - if you are in Cologne someday let me know, maybe we play some songs together :heart: :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi Rainer

Be careful, Rainer, I might take you at your word :smiley:. (I’ve never been to Cologne, so maybe I’ll really come for a visit somedays :hugs:.)

Hi Rainer,
Welcome, and i wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

Welcome Rainer :+1:

Hello Rainer and welcome. :slight_smile:

Glad to read that you’d sussed out the singing and playing.

A very warm welcome to the community from another German. Nice to have you here! Viel Spaß beim Lernen und Üben! I’m in my 50ties too, only picked up guitar at 53 in 10/2021 currently on Grade 2, Module 13/14. One of the best decisions I’ve ever made!

1 Like

Hello Rainer and welcome! Studying the things I’m really interested in is also my approach.

Same here! As long as I can keep time it feels so much natural for me.

:heart:-lich wilkommen, Rainer :smiley:
(another percussion-turned-axeman, @jkahn :wink:)
That’s a lovely looking guitar you have there. Hope to hear you sharing the sound one day.
Tschuess…

Hi Nicole, who knows much about the future :face_with_peeking_eye::sweat_smile:
At the latest news years eve I played together some friends. That was the first time for me. It was quite a strange ensemble with accordion, E-bass, mandoline and (me on) acoustic guitar. We had a lot of fun and were really surprised of ourselves :smiley::joy:

1 Like

Danke Dir ! :raising_hand_man:

Yeah, I’m looking forward to that myself :wink::+1: