Iainism's Learning Log

First step (2021-12-28)
Santa was good to me this year - he brought me a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

At home I run Linux (Ubuntu, to be precise), and in this part of my log I’m going to document how I got things up and running (I hope).

Step 1a+b. Install Ubuntu Studio along with a low-latency kernel (this is based on reading I’ve already done, e.g. drivers - How to setup my Scarlett 2i2? - Ask Ubuntu )

Step 2. Plug-in the Scarlett, it runs in USB mass Storage Mode, and the “Read Me for more Info.html” can be opened, which gives a link that will take you to the Focusrite webpage that allows you to register your device. Lovely.

Step 3. Install the software, perhaps using Wine? (Focusrite say “Sorry, we currently don’t support your Operating System. If you need drivers for another OS click link below”

Thank you @J.W.C and @Majik - I’ve now worked out the next step was just to take the 2i2 out of mass storage mode*, and then hook up. Everything seems to be working now…

*Simply press the 48V button for 5 seconds while turning on the power to it.

Second step (2022-01-02)
Since my last post I’ve managed to post two ‘test’ AVoYP, one with no video, using the 2i2:

And one straight from my phone (I even forgot to un-mirror the video):

I’ve also read a few learning logs, and have decided to adopt the format of @adi_mrok as it sets everything out really cleanly…

Short-term goals (0-6 months)

• Build my repertoire (I’ve always tended to play from a cribsheet up to about a year ago), I’ve got around a dozen songs now, and I’d like to add a few more still
  • Play a few new songs at a local open mic night
  • Improve technique, especially scales, and root 5th chord changes

Medium term goals - Technique + Production (for next 12 months):

Long-term goals (>12 months):

• Start learning additional scale shapes

Practice routine:

• I’m going to try a ‘singing variant’ of one minute changes (singing while doing the changes), as I sometimes let my index finger ‘ride-up’ over the 6th string when playing root 5 barres while I’m singing
  • Fingerstyle drills
  • Finger gym
  • G major scale is OK at one note per beat at 90 bpm right now, I fail at 95 bpm though so getting to 100 bpm is my immediate target

Songs I’ve learnt:

1. Hotel California - The Eagles (played in Bm with no capo)
  2. Summer of 69 - Bryan Adams
  3. Runaway Train - Soul Asylum
  4. Sunny Afternoon - The Kinks
  5. Perfect Day - Lou Reed
  6. When Love Takes Over - David Guetta
  7. Babylon - David Grey
  8. Wild Thing - The Troggs
  9. Learn to Fly - Foo Fighters
  10. The Joker - Steve Miller Band
  11. Baby Can I Hold You - Tracy Chapman
  12. Good Riddance/Time of Your Life - Green Day

Songs in work:

• The Power of Love - Frankie Goes to Hollywood, tough lyrics, and a whole load of stuff going on
  • Canon in D - Pachelbel (fingerstyle)
  • Let it go - Frozen
  • Let her go - Passenger (fingerstyle)

Songs for the future:

• I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas
  • Sweet Child of Mine - Guns n Roses
  • Free Falling - Tom Petty
  • Basket Case - Green Day (acoustic)
  • Rocket Man - Elton John
  • Maybe Tomorrow - Terry Bush
6 Likes

Congrats on the new interface.

Nice to see another Linux user around here. I’m running Arch, and @Majik runs Linux as well. I haven’t installed the Windows Focusrite software with Wine, so can’t offer any advice on that. However, if you’re running a fairly recent kernel version it has Scarlett support built in. There’s more info in this thread on the LinuxMusicians site. You can then use alsamixer to change the config on the Scarlett (e.g., turning “inst” or “pad” on and off, et cetera). A Linux-based GUI for such configuration is under development.

You might also find the real time config quick scan useful.

1 Like

Very nice, @iainism. And, as @J.W.C mentioned, I’m also a Linux user and there’s a few others around (I think @stitch still runs Linux on some old hardware).

In fact I was involved with some kernel testing work around this time last year for a bunch of Roland/Boss and Yamaha support patches, working closely with the lead developer of ALSA.

As @J.W.C mentions, the “drivers” are largely built into Linux. Which devices are support tends to depend on the Kernel version. For instance, if you had a Boss Katana, the support for that I worked on is in Kernel v5.11 onwards. The “drivers” are contained within the “ALSA” layer, which is common for all mainstream distributions of Linux, so it won’t matter if you are using Debian, Arch, Ubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, etc.

What distros like UbuntuStudio do give you are:

1. Configuration to tune your system to optimize it for lower-latency real-time operation
  2. Pre-installed “sound servers”, such as Jack or Pipewire, to support “pro-audio” work
  3. Pre-installed apps like Ardour, Hydrogen, ZynAddSubfx, etc.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

I’m using 5.4.0-91-lowlatency at the moment, so the new Scarlett drivers aren’t available, it seems fine as it is though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@iainism @J.W.C @Majik , It is nice to know that there are other Linux users here, because I will probably need a lot of help later on down the line!! My distro is Peppermint, based on Ubuntu & lately Mint. I did try Ubuntu Studio shortly after it first came out years ago. I was fairly new to Linux & Ubuntu then & couldn`t get used to it.

When I feel capable of trying to record anything (which at the moment won`t be for quite a while), I will feel more confident knowing there are others here to hopefully help.

Thank you guys.

1 Like

My first AVOYP is up, based on the discussion above, thank you for your hints/tips!

1 Like

Even if you don’t share it, have you considered recording for yourself? It will give you a good benchmark to measure your progress and you may also spot some things that you can work on immediately as well?

Well done Iain on rearranging LL, I dig the style :grinning: will be great to follow your progress further down the line, you already have some impressive achievements in your sleeve, it will only get better :wink: all the best!

1 Like

Iain

Great to see another Learning Log/Roadcase from new members. Nice to see you laying out your objectives as well. Looking forward to see this develop.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank you!

By the way, if anyone likes @adi_mrok’s template that I borrowed, then to save you some editing, I copied it in below as preformatted text, for an easy copy/paste.

***Short-term goals** (0-6 months)*

* Goal 1
* Goal 2

***Medium term goals** (for next 12 months):*

* Goal 1
* Goal 2

***Long-term goals** (>12 months):*

* Goal 1
* Goal 2

Practice routine:

* Item 1
* Item 2

Songs I’ve learnt:

1. Title 1 - Artist (style/variation)
2. Title 2 - Artist (style/variation)
3. ...

Songs in work:

3. ...

Songs for the future:

3. ...
1 Like

Nailed 95 BPM 4-times through today :smiley:

2 Likes

Iain

Well done, it just takes time and practice, I thought 160 1/4 notes where going to be impossible and like you struggled around the 90-100 mark but bit by bit it got faster. Just take small steps and you will see progress. I really need to go back to this as I topped out around 110-120 1/8s before getting distracted. Maybe time for a revisit as its been a while. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks Toby. I think I had some kind of mental block, as I was stuck on 90 BPM for ages. Something has ‘clicked’ though, and I’m now up to 110 BPM. The problem I had was synchronicity between fretting and picking, and now I’ve broken through 90 BPM I feel as though I’ve taken a massive leap forward with that, I still get a dead note now and then from a timing error with my fretting hand, they are quite infrequent though now.

2 Likes

Great LL Iain. A good idea to have all the various goals set out clearly in the one place.

I didn’t understand all the techie stuff however. What is Linux? Don’t tell me, I don’t need to know :woozy_face:. I’ll be sticking with the press record on my iPhone technique for the foreseeable future!

I look forward to following your musical adventures.

Thank you I really can’t take credit for that idea though, it’s completely borrowed/stolen from @adi_mrok !

(Linux is just an alternative to MS Windows/Mac OS, nothing too scary as a concept)

1 Like

@sairfingers Linux is Charlie Brown’s best friend. Trust me I know so much about tech stuff :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

That’s okay no copyrights held so feel free to borrow it as much as you want :grinning:

Ah of course! He’s the drummer. And here was me thinking it was an open source operating system!

2 Likes

That’s Pigpen the drummer not the software.

3 Likes

Ah ok. He must be some sort of kernel then?

Sorry Iain. Don’t mean to hijack your thread. :smiley:

4 Likes