Kvinde Min; Kim Larsen/Gasolin (cover)

My axe-wielding cousin Lars from Copenhagen is visiting next week and he suggested I learn a Danish song by national treasure, Kim Larsen, who died a couple of years ago. I wasn’t keen on the song but remembered one I liked from half a century ago by his band Gasolin. :smiley:

I can understand a reasonable amount of written Danish, and smatterings of the spoken word, but have never really tried speaking it, so pronunciation is likely to be dodgy. Still, no harm in having a go…

Oh yeah, that reminds me @tRONd , I seem to remember you telling me you would do a Kim Larsen song for me a long time ago. Seems like you have to do it yourself these days… :roll_eyes:

15 Likes

Very cool and sounds great :exclamation: You sound great and your enthousiasm is contagius :exclamation: Bravo Brian and thank you :pray:

2 Likes

That was really interesting, very enjoyable. Music is truly the international language. The inflection change or what ever it was, around the 1 min mark. Some changes during Ab to D maybe, that was cool.

:sunglasses:

I had to do a little reading about Kim Larson. You don’t get refered to as the The Legend of Denmark unless there is a reason. Well he seemed like he had a number of solid reasons depending on who you ask. Cool folky type of music, not bad at all

:call_me_hand:

Great Job on the song.
Thanks for sharing and have a cool visit.

1 Like

Thank you, @BigLuc. Much appreciated :smiley:
Pushing yourself out of your ‘comfort zone’ is often where the fun is :laughing:

@ontime1969 Cheers, Jason :smiley:
It’s funny, when I was growing up, I didn’t really feel like any particular nationality.
When I was around 20 I consciously identified as Irish, but about 10 years ago, I started connecting with my Danish roots, which has been fun and enriching.
Now I just choose from wherever I feel like when it suits me.
And yes, music is a superb way to get into different cultures :sunglasses:
(Mind you, I’ll have to report back what cousin Lars thinks :rofl:)

2 Likes

Woohoo! That was cool! I didn’t understand a word but thoroughly enjoyed it.
Your enthusiasm really is contagious! :sunglasses:

I recently started learning a French song (just thought it would be fun :smiley: ) I’ve found it more difficult singing in a different language - remembering the words, the pronunciation, staying in tune AND playing :laughing: still fun though, still working on it.

You did a great job! I never would have guessed you don’t speak Danish.
Thank you for sharing :sunflower:
Have fun with Lars :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great attempt Brian!! Well done, sounds cool…
Danish/Norwegian is the as scottish vs. English
Same language but very different dialect. Same goes for swedish…
i can speak swedish pretty fluently. I have no chance on danish… Luckily Kim Larsen has a few songs in english :grin:

1 Like

As a Dane I absolutely adore this! Well done, Brian.

2 Likes

Oh, and your pronunciation is of course not entirely native, but it’s perfectly intelligible.

1 Like

Most enjoyable, Brian. Good use of Trio+. Needless to say the pronunciation sounded just right to me :rofl:

2 Likes

Just noticed, one more and it’s your AVOYP 50 up. :clap: :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

@Avalon426 Aw, thanks Jasmine :smiley:
I’ll omit the translation, but essentially it’s the old trope of
“I love you- always have and always will- even though I have behaved abominably. Believe me…”
I’d love to hear the French song if/whenever you feel like sharing.
I’ve done a couple in Spanish, which was not quite as daunting, as I kind of know how that’s supposed to sound :wink:
I’m having fun learning a French song too, but don’t know if it will ever see the light of day
A bientot!

@tRONd Mange tak, min ven.
But what do you mean… ‘attempt’? :open_mouth:
Go on… Give us a dark Scandinavian murder ballad then (or Dancing Queen in Swedish if you prefer :rofl:)

@jacobbonde Ogsa mange tak Jacob, and a belated welcome to the community :smiley:
The Irish and Danes don’t have a big presence here, so I used to take great pleasure and care in welcoming any new members from those parts. I smiled when I saw your intro, but never got around to saying hi.

is a great compliment, but after seeing live footage of Kim’s audience singing every single word from start tio finish, it wouldn’t surprise me if you knew it all anyway, and your brain was simply on ‘autocorrect’ like my phone :rofl:
I hope you went for that Washburn. Buying second hand instruments is a great idea. You’ll get (most) of your money back if you decide to sell later for whatever reason. Buy a new one and it will instantaneously lose 1/3 - 1/4 of its resale value.

Cheers @DavidP, I still love the Trio+ but it has had a little less use since purchasing the Moises app.

Hehe, with the amount of dross I’ve shared over the years, I must be pretty high up on that table, but well below the likes of Johann who did more in a single year.
Might have to make a bit more of an effort, then, for fiddy :laughing:
Do we get a gold star for adhering to the learn songs mantra? :thinking:

1 Like

Gold stars are like proverbial hen’s teeth and as I recall you already got one … dear me that is make me think of the French knights taunting King Arthur in Monty Python’s Quest for the Holy Grail … oh dear … back to the music

1 Like

Brian, you are right, I do know these lyrics by heart. So I listened to your recording again, trying to mentally adjust for this bias, and I can honestly say that I have acquaintances - foreigners who have been living in Denmark for years - who have worse pronunciation than you. You are really doing very well.
The Washburn is still in the shop. I have a few more shops I plan to visit, before making a decision.

2 Likes

Nice one Brian. I worked in Copenhagen for 7 years so I even managed to understand some of the lyrics. That was a fun listen :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hehe, and I thought I knew my way around the site. No idea where ‘gold stars’ or for that matter AVOYP stats hide :roll_eyes: Not that it matters. Taunt me too much and you’ll end up in a song :wink:

@jacobbonde Ooooh, high praise indeed! And two listens :rofl:
Be careful you don’t let the fish get away. Imagine what you will feel like, if you return to the shop and discover it’s been sold :open_mouth:
Some call me Satan :imp:

@Eddie_09 Bejakers, man, I keep forgetting about your Scandinavian connections :laughing:
Cheers for the listen and hope you’re keeping well :smiley:

1 Like

Dodgy ,dodgy ??? I say it is terrible, … so poorly pronounced that I don’t even understand it at all… :roll_eyes:

I liked the style and it sounded cheerful… about the singing qualities, I accept it and tolerate it like a not so expensive Rioja :joy:

Greetings,

1 Like

Altijd het venijn in de staart! :roll_eyes: :rofl:

1 Like

Sounds great Brian!

What would Danish Pete say, when what you were actually singing was “my hovercraft is full of eels”?

1 Like

And representing Denmark in this years Eurovision Song Contest is …… Well done Brian, good stuff. Certainly not nul points from me.
You really have developed the perfect recipe. You pick songs that no one knows and now you pick a language that 2 people in the Community can speak. :rofl:

1 Like

Great, Brian! My lack of understanding of Danish allows me to dream up a lot of interesting things!
There’s something about it, I really liked it.
I even find something Russian in the style of this song :wink:
Leo

1 Like