Lisa's first AVOYPs - June 2023 (Anchorage, Good Riddance, WYWH)

Awesome performances on all 3 Lisa.
I hadn’t heard Anchorage before but I really liked your version… I get the suspicion that your playing and singing can probably make any song enjoyable :star:
Also I don’t know much about 12 string guitars, but your melody line for WYWH sounded soooooo good on it.

1 Like

Fantastic performance - a enjoyed all of them. No need to be nervous at all - this is great stuff!!!
The strumming / picking is very consistent, beautiful guitar sound and great signing as well!

1 Like

@Dro_1

Thank you so much for your kind, encouraging words, Sandro. Very much appreciated. :slight_smile:

12 strings can be magical thanks to the octaves on the low strings it always sounds rich and blows you away, so to be honest the guitar does most of the job for me here. :rofl:

@andyPlays

Thank you so much, Andreas. I appreciate your kindness and support. :slight_smile: Glad you enjoyed the listen. Regards the part with being nervous: I’m working on it. :sweat_smile:

Thanks again to all for being supportive and kind, this community is a treasure of positive vibes, something that’s hardly even found in the world wide web. Incredible space and I’m so thankful being part of it! :heart:

1 Like

Wow! Triple hit Lisa! Those were beautiful! Your playing and singing were effortless and soothing (no ear bleeding here). You have a beautiful voice and amazing guitar-playing skills. Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us and especially those of us just starting out. It’s comforting to know that even talented people such as yourself have nerves when playing, but that it doesn’t prevent you from sharing such beautiful music with us.

1 Like

What a great Wish You Were here. Always love the 12 string sound :+1:, and with a solid vocal too :+1: love it.

1 Like

@firasR

Thank you so much for taking your time to listen and providing such a kind, encouraging feedback, Firas! :slight_smile: It is very much appreciated!

Yes, this nerves-thing kind of never gets old. :rofl: But it gets better every time and actually, this open minded, positive and caring community here helps a lot! I’m happy and thankfull being a part of it. :slight_smile:

@CD02

Thank you so much for checking this one out and leaving some kind words for me, Craig! Very much appreciated. :slight_smile: I also love the sound of these 12 strings a lot, it has a beauty and richness on its own. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bravo, Lisa!
Beautiful, just Beautiful playing & singing! I’d never heard Anchorage before & have to find it. Who’s song is it? Searching online I seem to find a lot of covers but not sure who the original artist is. Good Riddance & Wish You Were Here were both outstanding! I’m also putting my 2 cents in for your lovely 12 string Martin! Really adds to the mood of WYWH & give that full, rich soulful sound!

Can’t wait to hear your next AVOYP!!!

Thank you!

Tod

1 Like

Thank you so much for taking your time to listen and leaving these kind words of support and encouragement, Tod! I appreciate it a lot! :slight_smile:

It’s originally recorded by Michelle Shocked. I tried to find it on youTube for you, but without success. :frowning: If you can’t find it anywhere else, feel free to reach out. :slight_smile:

Thanks for complimenting on my 12 string as well - all these praises in this thread are going to make her blush and turn red. :crazy_face: :rofl:

Thanks again, Tod! :slight_smile:

Congrats on the first AVOYPs. I know how scary it can feel. :slight_smile:

You sound great. It’s impressive how you combine complex playing with singing. Your voice is very nice too. :slight_smile: You have so much potential, and I will enjoy checking your progress with future AVOYPs.

p.s.: That 12-string Martin sounds amazing. :open_mouth:

1 Like

@kamkor

Thank you so much for checking in here and your kind words, Kamil! Very much appreciated. :slight_smile:

At least for Anchorage I can tell it was a long way to get singing and picking together. I must have practiced this several 100 times. :sweat_smile:

Thanks also for your nice words on the Martin - she’s a very happy guitar these days. :smiley:

1 Like

@Lisa_S The practice effort is paying off. :slight_smile: I hope you post some more recordings with Martin then. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Lisa,
Really enjoyed checking out your AVOYPs and learning log. Belated congrats on your song renditions, I thought you did a great job. You can tell there is a solid foundation underpinning your guitar playing as your rythymn and tempo is great. I like your voice and to me you looked quite natural performing so I don’t detect any apprehensiveness you might have in front of camera.
Guitar sound on WYWH was lovely and you switched between single notes and strumming really well.
Good Riddance is one of 3 songs I can play/sing from memory, not as well as you. I liked the ho/po? you do on d chord for extra interest in rythymn.
Anchorage isn’t a song I really know but you piqued some neural networks and so I feel I have heard it before. I thought you looked very confident in fingerstyle playing and sang well - don’t think it should be underestimated how challenging it is fingerstyle and singing together. :clap: :clap: :clap:
On a tangent did I read you worked in a lab? I am a lab person in the medical field of blood stem cells for treatment of blood cancer.
Good luck with your playing/progress.
Looking forward to seeing/hearing more from you in the future.
Best wishes,
Alan

1 Like

Hi Alan,

thank you so much for checking in, taking your time to watch and leaving such encouraging and kind words of support. Highly appreciated! :smiley: :blush:

Yes, I do some hammer ons and pull offs here. I think I tried to mimick the thing Justin does in his lesson for Good Riddance. It took me quite a while to get this bit done, I remember.

Yes, that’s correct. Maybe I mentioned this in my intro or LL. I earned my degree in Biology few years back, but left academia for IT, as I was tired of short term contracts for post-doc-positions. I miss the lab sometimes, but also have some joy in the things I do now and appreciate the safety of a permanent postition, I admit. :sweat_smile:

Sounds thrilling and also, you’re doing it for the good! Great stuff, Alan! :+1:

Thanks again, Alan. Have a great day! :smiley:

1 Like

I love Anchorage and that was a lovely performance - vocals and guitar. Really great!

1 Like

Lisa, caught up with WYWH a favourite of mine but for the many times I have played it, have yet to sing along ! Big kudos for that, sounded great to me but there seems might be a couple of missing strums at the end of the riff where you leave it to hang. Sounds good but my ears pricked up and that. I’ll need to go back and play along and maybe explain that better. But overall great job !
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks a lot, Claudia! Glad you enjoyed the performance. It’s always a little tricky to “satisfy” the listener when it’s about their favourites. :smiley:

Thank you so much for checking in on WYWH again, Toby! Also glad you liked it. :smiley:

Regards missing strums, I’ll have to give it a closer listen again myself. It’s more than possible I missed some, I tend to be a little sloppy with that - shame on me. So it’s good you pointed this one out and reminded me to listen to this amazing tune again. My fav version by the way:

Thanks again, Toby - some thing to get my hands on again. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Fantastic performance(s) Lisa - enjoyed them immensely. You have a lovely playing style and your singing is terrific, I could listen all day. Wonderful to hear Michelle Shocked on here as well - love that song - I know it’s not on it, but The Campfire Tapes it’s one of my all time favourite albums and you captured some of that vibe for sure. Look forward to hearing more :+1: Oh, and that 12 string - wow!

1 Like

Thanks a lot, Godfrey. Your kind words mean a lot to me and are highly appreciated. :smiley:

Anchorage is one of my all time favourites, I love the vibe in it.

Need to check this one out as well, I’m not sure I have it yet. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Hi, it’s actually called “The Texas Campfire Tapes” to give it its full title - recorded using a Walkman around a crackling campfire. Hope you can find it!

1 Like