LizW - November 2022 - Suzanne Vega (Marlene on the Wall x2)

Hi guys,
I’ve not been around for a while (sorry been busy practicing). This is my first video where I’m not singing I think. Many of you won’t know this but it’s a nice little “bendy” solo from Suzanne Vega’s Marlene on the Wall. If you don’t know it have a listen it’s a great song. Have also been learning to sing and play it with accounts if chords. Just need to clone myself now so I can do both :smiley:

Suzanne Vega - Marlene on the Wall (solo)

Suzanne Vega - Marlene on the Wall (song)

10 Likes

That will be me then Liz :rofl: sounds like you are onto something and a nice little project brewing. Good to see you back. :wave: Off to Google :wink:

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Ha ! 20 secs in and it all came flooding back. Great song. Look forward to more of this. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’ve just had a go at recording the main song as a reminder, but left the solo out obviously :joy:

2 Likes

Very cool Liz. I remember the song from when I was at school. Really nice little teaser from you!

3 Likes

Short and sweet. Left me wanting more. Sounding good.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good project to work on. Well done Liz.

2 Likes

Sounds good so far, Liz, though above my playgrade to offer feedback on the bends.

I enjoyed your playing and singing before watching this one.

Once you have it down you can add the solo afterwards to avoid the need for cloning (because all are ever so glad to know there are not three clones of me running around, made for my most recent AVOYP share :rofl:). It is just another thing to learn and not necessarily as hard as you may think. Really just need a PC or laptop, even a tablet plus your phone and you should be fine.

2 Likes

I really just need someone to pay with so we can take a part each.
I don’t enjoy the technology bit, I just want to play :joy:

2 Likes

Well that is the more fun option, Liz.

1 Like

That was a nice little solo Liz. The bends sounded good but I’ve not got to them yet so it’s only my ears opinion. :smiley:

A great start to a project. I’m looking forward to seeing the completed thing.

2 Likes

Hi Liz. It sounded good to me, but I’m not too much into bending yet.

1 Like

Nice bit of lead. There are easy ways to play over something else, you could just record the rhythm track and then play it, find a backing track or use a looper. I reckon lead guitar needs a backing to sound it’s best.

2 Likes

Just did a quick recording of the song that goes with the solo for those that don’t know it. Missed solo out obviously. Also not always nailing that pesky Bm7 bar chord yet but you’ll get the idea and I’m sure you’d recognise the song if you know it.

8 Likes

Nice job Liz. Smooth playing and your vocals really suited the song. Thumbs up :+1: from me!

1 Like

Great stuff Liz really well played. Vox absolutely on point as usual and I agree with Eddie the song fitted your vocals nicely but I suspect you could pretty much adapt to any style of singing, based on previous posts.

It will be a nice developer for you with regards to the solo. Well done.

1 Like

Thanks that’s very kind!

I’m surprised and pleased you remember me. Yeah, you’re right I’ll pretty much sing anything. Just been doing my Kurt Cobain when doing Lithium :joy::joy:

1 Like

Now if you did Amy Lee’s Lithium …

1 Like

That was great, Liz, doing great on both playing and singing.

My only suggestion would be to figure out a way to get the phone lifted up to be more level with maybe your mouth, or perhaps a point somewhere between mouth and top of the guitar. I think that will deliver a more even balanced level across guitar and vocal.

1 Like