Mari's Blues Studies - Slow Six Blues added Mar 12/23

Thanks for the laugh Toby! That one bit finally clicked and oh it was nice when it did!! I was just practicing on my lunch break and I looked at that Gospel Blues for the last 5 minutes of my practice time. It did not go well at all! It may be awhile before I can post the next instalment … :slight_smile:

1 Like

That was excellent Mari, well done. Just a quick question, what model of the guitar are you playing as I’ve never seen fret markers like that on a Martin before?

1 Like

Thanks Ian :slightly_smiling_face:

The Martin I’m playing is an OMCPA5. It’s a nice guitar, it feels pretty good to play and I like it! It’s not my dream guitar, but I’m quite happy playing it for now :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Toby, I had a look at David’s stuff. Which course are you following? After using a -lot- of DVD’s from Stephan Grossman’s site, I find David difficult to adjust to.

For one, I found that country blues does not lend itself well to PIMA, I happen to have better results just using index and middle finger, and have pinky resting on the fretboard and sending my ring finger into early retirement. David indeed insists on PIMA. The other thing is, his lessons are way more complicated than the solo Blues lessons by Justin. And, he is so bloody cerebral about the whole subject! In his parlance, I know some tunes, but no songs, because - I don’t have an intro, or an outro or a solo built in, and just follow the chord progression with the appropriate picking pattern.

But then who am I talking - I started out with PIMA for Folk style picking patterns. My most schizophrenic feat is playing the Dear Prudence intro with PIMA, and verse, chorus and bridge with thumb, index and middle finger, being the Travis pattern that Donovan taught Lennon all that time ago.

2 Likes

I can dig it @Mari63 . That was amazing!

1 Like

Thanks Tosh, my new path in life is fingerstyle blues. And hopefully some rock / pop too! :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh, how i love the blues. It seems to be a bug in me to really want to hit that spot…i am sooooo close to starting up practicing some blues…i believe it is the next mod for me!
Great work and sounding excellent!
Rock on sister! Cheers! SOCIABLE! And peace out! :fist_left: :sunglasses: :v:

1 Like

Sounding great, Mari! Can’t wait to see more! :clap: :sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

Thanks @Dman74 Darren, and the Blues is an excellent bug to get!! I was soooo close to starting to practice the blues - until I did!! I see you’re a fellow Canuck. I’m still quite a few miles away from you though, on the north shore of Lake Superior :cold_face:

Thanks @nzmetal Jeff. I was just spending what could have been practice time watching the other videos in Justin’s course. He makes it look so easy!

2 Likes

Very good ! Thank you !

1 Like

Yes @Mari63 i am a fellow canuck!! Was artic temperatures here for a day, but now it’s back to plus 3 celcius or so now. Haven’t had much of a winter this year in N.S. I’m in Nova scotia. I do, however, visit my brother in Ottawa and my dad in Montreal…which is a lot closer than here! It’s always nice to meet a fellow canadian on here!!
SOCIABLE! :clinking_glasses:

1 Like

Hey fellow blues pickers (@TheMadman_tobyjenner , @TRJ ): I too have been doing some David Hamburger stuff. I discovered him on YouTube a few months ago and have been considering joining his membership. In the meantime, I’ve learned a couple of songs from his free videos.

Regarding @TRJ 's comment above: that’s what I like about David Hamburger! I don’t sing, so I’m looking to play these pieces as instrumentals. That’s where the intro, solo, vamp, etc, come in. You can intersperse these with the main 12- (or 8) bar progression to create an arrangement that lasts for 2 or 3 minutes. Of course, if you sing you needn’t do all that, you can just alternate singing the verse with instrumental versions of the verse. Maybe use the turnaround as an intro, and you’re all set.

2 Likes

Thanks Mari, boy my estimation of your video editing skills, and playing skills is skyrocketing after you admit that you have two takes, fully in sync!

1 Like

Tjeerd - Its his Fingerstyle Blues Handbooks 1 & 2. Refining the first 8 lessons of book 1 and slowly moving forward, along side Justin Solo Blues course. Having only done Justin’s basic fingerstyle patterns, years back on the old BC which were PIMA, it made sense to readapt for these Blues pieces and stay consistent. Horses for courses as they say. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Haha, 35 responses to your blues study, Mari- I thought I had been neglecting the Community more than I thought… But no, it’s only up since yesterday :smiley:
And quite right, the flurry of interest. Everything about it very proficient. Apart from learning the thumb/finger coordination, it must have taken quite a few trial & errors getting the fretting finger camera view from a distance.
I shall follow with interest, secure in the knowledge that there’s little risk of me being tempted by either you or @Socio at the crossroads :wink:

3 Likes

@BigLuc thanks for listening and for the thumbs up :slightly_smiling_face:

@TRJ keep in mind though that only the first take needs to be a keeper all the way through, since I’m not using the entire second video!! That being said, the first ‘take’ took me oh so very many attempts, just knowing that I really really wanted to get all the way through with no fumbles (or at least very few). The second run through took just a couple of attempts and was pretty much the same as the first - because it didn’t matter so much there was far less stress!

@brianlarsen but I was waiting for you to send the directions! While I’m waiting - thanks for the listen and the comments :slightly_smiling_face: The fretboard camera view is simple with my new headstock iPhone holder

1 Like

OK, now I’m really confused :thinking:
I presumed that was one take with two cameras: one from the front and one zoomed in from the headstock direction, and that you had also inserted a zoomed in part from the front camera as well. Looking closer, that looks like a slightly different angle too. Did you make three separate video recordings of this and edit them together? A true thespian! :wink:

1 Like

Spot on Mari excellent way of documenting your progress! Really enjoyed the piece you shared with us this time around, I think you were pretty spot on really and not much constructive feedback here I can offer. One thing I picked up is what you already mentioned some more crisp on the bends but other than that was fab! And glad you answered a question regarding multi angle view, I was wondering where you did hide those 2 remaining cameras as I couldn’t spot those :laughing: all the best!

1 Like

Great Mari! Excellent video and well played.
Looking forward to see more:)

1 Like