Metallica - Creeping Death (cover)

Hell yes.

From the greatest album ever made.

Love the raw edge you’ve got in the tone. Sounds like a live version with a bucket load of extra energy.

So let it be written - great cover.

Digger

1 Like

Thanks Digger! Good to hear from you mate and thanks for checking this out! :metal:

:metal::confounded:

Thanks! Yeah it’s one I’ve had dialed in and tweaked over time that I really like, thought it fitted well with this to add some grit.

Cheers! :metal:

How have I missed this post?

THAT WAS AWESOME!!!

1 Like

You are excellent, sound like you belong on stage with James. Flawless performance

1 Like

Wow! That was really impressive!

I’m a big Metallica fan and I’ve seen them playing this song live a few times. This is one of my favorites.

I only know how to play enter sandman and that’s already challenging for me but I would like to play this one in the future as well. Although those downstrums are so fast and for 5 or 6 minutes… it’s exhausting :sweat_smile:

You really nailed it. Maybe you can update the video with the solo since it’s been a few months since you posted the video :joy::metal::metal:

1 Like

Thanks so much, @K0874 @SDKissFan @CarlosAP !! Really appreciate you all checking this out! :smiley:
Such a fun song to play! I still regularly revisit it. Highly recommend if you’re looking for another Metallica tune to get your teeth into. At full speed, the pace is fairly quick, but slowing it down a little it’s not too bad and mostly the rhythm guitar is relatively straightforward power chords. Great tune for building down picking strength! :muscle: :sweat_smile:

@CarlosAP I’ve never really considered myself a lead player and totally suck at it!! (especially fast runs and bends are my nemesis!! :confounded:). But I’m slowly beginning to work on that stuff so maybe one day I’ll have a crack at the solo on this…could be a while yet though! :joy:

1 Like

@nzmetal And anyway this is one of the hardest Metallica solos in my opinion.

1 Like

@nzmetal What tones and effects did you have running for this cover? (mainly because I would like to try this sound for myself)

1 Like

Hi.
I’m from Portugal , so, sorry for my english.
This is my first.
I do not like to talk of others, but…. In this case…. … …. …
Man… I started to “play” at 48 (2years ago), hard task…. I will be 253 yeras old and still not having half of your capacities.
I listen metallica since i was 12, so I think I can talk with some property here…. Are you selling skillz? paypal?
I want to play like that :cry::sob:

1 Like

Whoah Jeff, that’s just wow! My right wrist is hurting from just watching you. Seriously good job man, that does NOT look easy!

1 Like

Hey Kayd, thanks for asking. It was a while back but I’m fairly certain it would have been recorded using my Katana Artist with a patch I put together using the clean channel with either a Metal Zone or Metal DS distortion pedal pretty much at full noise :joy:, a small amount of reverb, some noise reduction, a bit of EQ to cut out the low and high end. For Metallica tunes, I typically had the bass knob at about 60%, mids around 40 and treble maybe between 50-60.

Yeah, totally agree… although they’re all hard in my opinion! :confounded: :sweat_smile:

Thanks for checking this out! :smiley:

Don’t be! Your English is a million times better than any second language I’ve ever attempted! Portugal looks like a fabulous country (with excellent surf! :surfing_man: :call_me_hand:), I hope to visit there one day :slight_smile:

:rofl:
Thank you! :blush:

As far as Metallica are concerned, I originally started by learning Seek and Destroy. It is (mostly) at a slower tempo and really helped me to work on down picking as a technique before tackling some of their faster tunes. Justin has a (very old!) lesson on it. Give that a go and take it from there. I wish you all the best! Metallica tunes are so fun to play :metal:

Thanks Phil!! :smiley:

:joy: yeah it’s a good work out alright! :sweat: :wink:

I’ve been meaning to say thanks to you also for inspiring a purchase. Hearing the exquisite tones you were getting from your Fractal FM3 (at least I think it is that model from memory?), I went down the (deep!) modeler rabbit hole and checked out all the options, eventually going with a Fender Tone Master Pro a couple of months back. Couldn’t be happier with it! Not cheap but such a fantastic piece of kit. So thank you for being the inspiration for that! (my bank account doesn’t thank you but my ears definitely do! :joy:)

Wow, you did this a year ago and I missed Jeff?

Very impressive playing, tremendous rhythm and riffing, awesome tones.

I was wondering about the backing, and from the original I am guessing you simply (in the how it was done, not your playing) played over the original video?

If so that counters my only comment, being that the vocal was low in the mix. Now we know you can belt out metal vocals, so how’s about getting some BTs from that karaoke site and adding your own vocal over a drums, bass and lead BT?

I’m not a metal man, but in the intro I was hearing some Sabbath and Maiden vibes, just sped up some and not quite as dark as my memories of Sabbath nor melodic/clean as my memories of Maiden. But needless to say, skating on very thin ice in sharing that :rofl:

1 Like

Oh no! I cost you money :joy:

I think all the modern modelers are great for home playing. I’ve had to stop myself though, when I’'m spending more time tone-tweaking than actual playing. It has probably saved me a lot of cash in pedal purchases - only regret is that I should have waited for the FM9 - more footswitches! The TM pro is much better in that respect.

1 Like

Hi
bring your guitar, my wife is a tourist guide…i trade a visit to lisbon with some guitar lessons
:love_you_gesture:

1 Like

Thank you, David! :hugs:

I know, right! Crazy how time flies…

Correct, it is a BT sourced from YouTube using the original song with the rhythm guitar removed, except in a couple of brief spots for some reason (one right at the start and one toward the end :person_shrugging: :sweat_smile: ). The vocals are James and the solo is the Kirk shredding! :metal: Maybe one day I’ll try tackling it… :joy:

Yeah, I’d agree. I feel I have learned a lot about production since this and would likely mix it a bit differently now.

:rofl: Well, perhaps… have a couple of things brewing quietly… we’ll see… there’ve been some changes for me lately that make singing loudly a little tricky, but I won’t go into that here, more a story for a LL update in the near future :wink:

I think you’re very much on to it. They were all definitely big fans of Sabbath and NWOBHM (New Wave of British Heavy Metal), especially Lars. So undoubtedly they’re taking a lot of influence from there with more aggression and speed (being a big focus of Metallica in the early, some say best :wink:, days).

Actually, David, I think you under sell yourself. You have some excellent insight into the early days of metal. You’ve certainly absorbed some solid knowledge back in the day that seems to rise to the surface from time to time. I have wondered a couple of time if you would be interested in connecting all those dots in a more definitive timeline of how it all came together back then? If so, then I highly recommend A History of Heavy Metal written by Andrew O’Neill (a British comedian and big heavy metal fan). The book is an easy, entertaining read (definitely read the footnotes throughout the book, hilarious! :sweat_smile:) but still does a top notch job of covering off the history of how metal came into being, out of the fertile grounds of blues and rock (plus a multitude of other influences). Well worth a read :sunglasses:

quote=“twistor59, post:55, topic:198509”]
Oh no! I cost you money :joy:
[/quote]

Don’t sweat it! :joy: Some of the best money I’ve spent! My thanks is genuine :smiley:

And live performance for sure. The TMP would be the perfect companion for a gigging guitarist :metal: And I’m sure plenty are using the FM3 and FM9 for that too. Fractal definitely has some of the best tones out there :sunglasses:

I know, right?! So easy to just keep twiddling knobs, adding/removing pedals/effects, repositioning/switching mics, without actually playing anything! :joy:

:joy: There’s always that next thing eh?! Got to put your oar in the water at some stage :wink: With your fabulous talent and ear for tone, I think you should shout yourself an upgrade, you’ve earned it! :wink:

It’s a deal! :joy: If I can get myself to Portugal, you’ll be hearing from me! :metal::smiley:

:ok_hand: :clap: MAD guitar skills Jeff, and as always a full production :rofl: great work that’s all I can say, in fact exceptional work :+1:

EDIT: I just realised that its been 5 minutes since I watched this with my headphones on and my ears are still ringing :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like