My first upload "Hey Joe"

Ok here goes my first upload. just finishing up Grade 1, Module 7.

I welcome any comments, and thank you!

16 Likes

Welcome, Wayne, and congratulations on posting your first recording. Sounded good; you’re keeping a steady rhythm through the changes. Nice Seagull, by the way. Kinda goes along with that Canucks theme in the background. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey J.W.C. Thanks very much for your comment! :canada: :slightly_smiling_face:

Nicely done. Clear notes, good chord changes and a consistent tempo. In the words of the great Bon Scott - “It’s a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll” but you are definitely on that Highway to Hell :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Good to have you here Wayne. Congratulations on finishing Grade 1 and good job on posting a recording. You’ve got the ingredients for steady progress - rhythmic strumming, clean fret work and chord changes.

One suggestion I’d make, check your posture and the movement of your strumming arm. You’ve got fluid wrist movement, but the rest of your arm looks a little locked and tight. Your right shoulder is higher and possibly a lot more tense than it needs to be.

These are small things, but long term they can become habits that can cause soreness, even injury. You’ll also find that tension in your strumming arm affects the quality of the sound you get. Maybe too fine a detail right now, but worth noting.

Good job :star2:

2 Likes

Hey there Wayne! Good to see you here and wonderful first video post! I’m a beginner too, and just finished Grade 1, staying put to hone the skills for now myself. I don’t have any critique to offer, but I enjoyed your video!

Keep on rockin! :blush:

1 Like

Hi Wayne, good first recording attempt and well done! I agree with Maggie about arm movement, it will be easier to keep the rhythm steady by using the arm movement. You are doing good keep up the good work.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community, Wayne, that’s a fabulous way to introduce yourself :clap: :champagne:

Lots to like as others have said, really liked the way you were feeling the groove with your whole body.

I suggest taking a look at your video to check your D chord fingering. Looks as if the fingers could all be shifted a little closer to the frets, but that maybe just a consequence of the camera angle.

I also noticed a slight stop in the movement of your right hand as part of staying in the groove. Generally speaking a good habit to develop is to keep the hand moving, even if you are not playing the strings. That pause worked fine in this song, played this way, so I don’t want to make a big thing of it here. I suggest just check yourself when playing some other songs that are strummed with one of the other simple down-up strumming patterns to make sure you are not developing a pause that may become a bad habit.

Congrats on the Grade 1 progress, look forward to your next share!

1 Like

Welcome Wayne and well done posting your first AVoYP. I look forward to more from you in the months to come.

1 Like

Wayne,
Welcome aboard. Nice job on this one. Good play and timing. You are well on your way to learning how to play!

Keep up the rock’n vibe!
LB

2 Likes

Welcome Wayne that was a great introduction… nothing like playing a song and knowing your progressing. My only comment ( and a bit difficult to tell from the video ) is the guitar looks way out front rather than across your body so it looks like your gripping it with your right elbow. I may be wrong though.

1 Like

Thanks batwoman! I was tense when I recorded this yesterday. It was my third attempt each with a different guitar. The first two were both electric. They sounded ok when I was playing, but when I listened to my recordings…ugh they were bad. So I think that frustration came through as tension…and some stage fright as well lol. Anyway thanks so much much for the advise :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Thanks Rossco01, I’ll check my guitar position next time I’m practising. I really appreciate the encouragement, I really like playing that song.

Thanks DavidP, I always struggle with the D chord. I don’t know why, as it’s a fairly easy chord to play, but finger placement can be all over the place. :pensive:

1 Like

@cooperdog welcome to the community and what a way to introduce yourself, that sounded good. I look forward to following your progress.

1 Like

Well done on your first post. Nice, steady rhythm and good changes.

I too used to struggle with the D chord but dogged persistence has paid off.

2 Likes

Sounded good Wayne. I’m only a beginner myself, just consolidating grade 1, but it looks like you’re on the right path to me. I still find the d chord tricky as well but with practice it’ll get there :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Great first post and very good playing at your level, what ever you’ve been doing keep it up! That’s a gorgeous guitar you have, I have often looked at them but not yet got one but who knows……

1 Like

Another big welcome aboard Wayne.
It’s all been said upstairs ^^^
Seconds out- Round two! :smiley:

1 Like

Welcome Wayne. Good first post, chord changes and strumming good. Looking forward to more.

1 Like