Neuroplasticity to Learn Guitar Faster

If you’re over 25 years old, you’re an older learner. But here’s the latest science to help you learn faster!

4 Likes

Gimme the science! :scream:

2 Likes

WHERE IS THE STUFF… :syringe:

Even if I have to give up my walking … I’ll give anything for it :scream: :scream:

1 Like

@brianlarsen @roger_holland
If you guys spent less time on the forum and more time on the website :wink:

10 Likes

@stitch Thanks for the link Rich :smiley:
If you think I have time to learn songs, learn songs, learn songs, write the occasional hit single, hone my dodgy showmanship, and still go the guru-source to learn how to play, you live in a parallel universe :rofl:
(I know Justin loves me as I am :wink:)

If I can find a white cane, you can lean on me, brother :sunglasses: :man_in_manual_wheelchair:

1 Like

:innocent:

Hi Rick,
I had checked at 1500 hours if there were new lessons…Thanks

He has a new best community friend since an hour :innocent: . :rofl:

:kissing_heart:

Greetings guys, i’m going to take a rest from my chatter with the big boss…yes almost only chatter…thankfully :sweat_smile:, that’s a better quality of mine than playing guitar :sunglasses:

2 Likes

A must for every studio

Its all about balance !

:sunglasses:

The French versions sounds and looks cooler :crazy_face:

Planche d’équilibre

This was a very interesting lesson. Proves that revisiting what you practice after a few days’ break indeed helps with the learning.

Maybe this is why Ian Anderson used to play the flute standing on one leg? :thinking:

1 Like

Thanks…about to watch this video now. I love how Justin puts critical thinking/psychology type of videos up every now and then.

2 Likes

Better learn balance. Balance is key. Balance good, karate good. Everything good. Balance bad, better pack up, go home. Understand?

3 Likes

Who can argue with Mr. Miyagi. First learn strum then learn guitar solo Danielsan

Thank you Justin for these interesting pointers! I’ll try to integrate doing balance exercises before learning.
I would think another good way to increase the difficulty of balancing is simply to close your eyes. Just standing on one leg directly on the floor with your eyes closed for several minutes straight takes a lot of practice. And more so the older we get. Doing it on a wobbly board? Good luck!

In order to keep track of time and see for how long you manage to balance with eyes shut: Set a metronome to 60 BPM and count seconds.

Just be careful peeps.

Neuroplacticity

4 Likes

Any balance exercise suggestions for a bad guitar player who can already do handstands/walk on my hands?

Maybe I’ll just work on better form/balance? I’m totally going to try this!

Play with your feet ? :rofl:

Close your eyes while you do it.

1 Like

There’s some great advice here. Another online guitar teacher has advice for older learners, and his advice seemed just to be based on the premise that adults have less spare time than kids, so you need to make regular practice times. True but that’s just a basic of learning to music, whatever your age. The suggestions you make seem much more focussed on learning, thanks Justin.

The key point about your mislearning that scale, which you have mentioned in another video, so I’ve had time to think about it is that, when you learnt it you thought it was right, that is why you find it so hard to unlearn the mistake. When learning scales/new tunes I assess with each note right or wrong. If it’s wrong stop and get it right, otherwise you learn it wrong.

As part of my singing warm-ups I do do “foot circles” while standing on one leg. I’ve not tried this for guitar practice, but I will now. I just hope you didn’t record this video on april fol’s day!

This is all soo fascinating, I could relate to a lot of what has been said in the lesson, and…just think of how a baby learns to walk and the balance exercise will make real sense, we all learn to walk after all. When I decided to give myself a second chance with guitar I explicitly chosed to imitate young children’ s approach to learning, and there’s a lot more than neurobiology there, I’m privileged because intentionally observing it is part of my job as a teacher …the incessant questioning, the deep need to make sense of what they experience no matter how rough the tools they have are, the amazing problem- solvig skills…is all this stimulated by the right chemicals for learning in the brain, or, all of this also stimulate the chemicals and neurons motion at the same time? Thank you Teacher, your Food for Thought is always appreciated a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is brilliant! As a retired physician, I am familiar with neuroplasticity; however, I never imagined in a million years that it could be used for learning to play the guitar as described here. As an “older learner”, you’ll be able to find me wobbling about trying to balance on 1 leg as part of my guitar session warm-up. Thank you Justin for your insatiable desire to learn and help the guitar community.

1 Like