NGD - Enya Nova Go travel guitar

Hello!
For anyone that knows me, there is no small irony in the fact that my first post here is going to be about a(nother) new guitar. :grinning:

I donā€™t really have a need for a travel guitar other than having an acoustic that is smaller than anything I currently have, basically, I wanted a couch guitar. Owning a headless electric has shown me the benefits of a smaller instrument for noodling while watching guitar and gear videos or whatever passes for TV in my home.

But being a curious monkey the first thing I did was to look for something out of the ordinary to fit the bill in regards to my new couch guitar. Thatā€™s when I found out about Enya Music and the Nova Go range of carbon fiber acoustics. After a few demo videos and one objective review, I was sold. Here is a link to that review for anyone interested, not me btw, I have no affiliation.

So after trying to decide between the two available models, there are three in the range, I opted for the 100% analog, acoustic-only version. The other options are electro-acoustics with built effects, one of which is a ā€œsmartā€ guitar that is paired with an app. As Iā€™ve just ordered it last night I have no first impressions yet but if I like it I plan to flip it and upgrade to the smart version. The only reason I didnā€™t go with the smart model first was simply because there were none to be found in Canada.

So that, for anyone making it this far, :wink: is how I came to buy myself this nifty little Enya travel guitar.

Specs:
Carbon fiber and polycarbonate
23-1/8" scale length
35" overall length (my headless electric is only 31" overall)
Compensated bone saddle
1-5/8" nut width
Dā€™Addario EXP16 12-53 strings
Zero fret with a radiused 20-fret fingerboard and a 14th fret body join
~3.5 lbs in weight
Soft side case or gig bag included, the gig bag seems to be the newer offering of the two

Cheers :beers:
Richard

2 Likes

Really inexpensive on Amazon. Iā€™ll be interested in your report when you get this.

1 Like

:point_up_2: That too was one of the reasons I decided to give this a go, also, if itā€™s horrible, itā€™s Amazon so back it goes!

As I said, I didnā€™t buy it for the sound, I know itā€™s not going to compare to a wood guitar or even a more expensive carbon fiber guitar, it was primarily the size that drove this choice. One interesting thing about the AI version is that it has a trans-acoustic actuator that should allow the player to EQ what they hear from the guitar, so adding in some bass response will give it a ā€œbiggerā€ sound more in line with what a wooden body would produce. In theory. :crossed_fingers:

Iā€™ve been getting by on the size requirement with my clone of the Guild Paloma SC3 however that too is an electro-acoustic with a solid body and itā€™s a nylon string guitar to boot so it really wants to be amped.

@Richard_N
Itā€™ll be interesting to get your opinion once youā€™ve actually got and played the guitar.

First impressions of the Enya Nova Go.

I like it. I like it quite a bit actually, even more so when I consider that I nabbed this one for ~25% off the USD retail of $199.00. Now for $151.00, this is not a perfect out-of-the-box guitar, it will need a bit of work but I expected that going in. Overall though it really only has two things that need some attention outside of setting up the action to my liking, itā€™s a little high as is, the bass side is @ 3.25mm and the treble side is @ 3mm.

Issue one: The saddle is not compensated even though photos and ad copy describe a compensated bone saddle. The low E at the 12th fret is about 11cents sharp while the high E is 13 cents sharp. Easy enough to remedy and a job Iā€™ve yet to try my hand at but still a little disappointing. I might task Enya over this and see if they will send out a freebie replacement.

Issue two: The frets are pretty scratchy. The fret ends are meticulously rounded and smooth, but the faces are gritty and not very nice. Another easy fix and this is one of the first things I do to any new guitar anyway.

Okay, terrible cell phone pictures with poor lighting time.

Everyone should more or less be familiar with the size of a Les Paul so that is the reference point here.

The body size and proportions are very close to a Les Paul only slightly shorter in length. Both the upper and lower bouts are very close in width.

From left to right, 39.5" 35.5", and 32.5" The headless is sort of sitting on the floor and only being held upright by the stand.

The sound is surprisingly good, I didnā€™t expect it to be this full but it still lacks the bottom end of my Dreadnought or Grand Auditorium acoustics, again, I was expecting this. Iā€™m going to experiment with strings and see if I can add in a little more bass.

My takeaway is this is a fine little acoustic guitar to kick back with on the sofa or in a comfy armchair, no need to scoot out to the edge of the seat anymore, and just noodle away the time. For camping or a day at the beach, get the white one if you plan on hitting the beach, you probably wonā€™t find a better-priced option, better sounding, yes. Lots of them Iā€™m sure.

As an added bonus, I wonā€™t flinch if I happen to knock it against the coffee table or put it down on top of my headphones, which totally did not happen!

$151.00 = Crazy good deal. YMMV

Cheers, and sorry for the thread hijacking. :beers:
Richard

2 Likes

@richard_n
No problem with the hijack Richard, I was very interested in your views.
However for the benefit of others searching for travel guitar info perhaps your post would be better put here -
Travel guitar - any recommendations?

Can it be moved? @Richard_close2u

I somehow feel validated.
:grin:

1 Like

Hi Richard-
So I am thinking of picking up the Acoustic Nova go as I live in Florida and a hot humid summer is around the corner. Are you still enjoying it! Are you happy with it? If you bought the sp1 acoustic electric- how does that sound unplugged? Is it much heavier and worth an extra 140$?
Appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Hello BecA,

I am very happy with my Nova Go, I did get the plain vanilla acoustic without the SP1 pickup system, but after some time with the guitar, and a few tweaks, this is by far the best ā€œcheapā€ guitar I have ever bought. I did change the saddle to a compensated one and got rid of the stock strings for some 80/20 phosphor bronze 12s.

I like the way it sounds acoustically, and when I think that it cost me $151 USD it makes me like it even more! That value appreciation really makes it hard for me to be overly critical of the tone. On that point Iā€™m going to defer to Phil McKnightā€™s opinion in the review video I posted, ā€œ. . . it sounds better than a Baby Taylor.ā€ The sound demo in that review is worth watching, he does all of it acoustically, just the guitar and a mic, no pickups or preamps.

The only part of the SP1 that I would have enjoyed having would have been the reverb, so for me, the extra cost would not have been worth it for that alone. Now if Enya ever brings the AI version of the Nova Go to North America or Europe I would upgrade to that model but otherwise, Iā€™m happy.

Get one. Play it all the time. Have fun and enjoy it.

Cheers!
Richard.

1 Like

Thanks for that Richard. Very helpful. I am a beginner and bought myself a quality Zager acoustic. But here in FL the summer coming up makes me want an inexpensive carbon fiber guitar to take outside. Just for fun I may get the sp1 since it can be played without hooking up to anything.
Do you have a demo here to listen to?
Beth

No demo, sorry.

Hi Again Richard!
I did buy the acoustic only version as well to travel with and play outside in the Florida heat by the pool. Had it a few days and the strings are killers for me. My good acoustic guitar has 11ā€™s. I just ordered some Ernie Ball earthwoods phosphor bronze 10ā€™s. They were inexpensive for a 3 pack on sale so good for first time string changer. Can you tell me which model # tusq saddle fits this guitar?Did you need to sand that down? Does it make a significant difference? In what way? I am thinking of taking to guitar tech for first time light set up going from 12ā€™s to 10ā€™s. Not sure I need to since may be fine after just changing. The action isnā€™t really that high below 8th fret but could be tweaked. Maybe a slight lefty turn of the truss rod? Sounds great for a 150$.
Beth.

1 Like

Hello Beth,

Congrats on your new guitar!

Yup, the very first thing I do on almost every guitar Iā€™ve ever bought is to change the strings from what came out of the factory. I used Dā€™Addario 80/20 phosphor/bronze but I did stay with the same size 11s that came on it.

I did change the saddle for an intonated bone saddle so Iā€™m afraid I canā€™t help with any product #s for a Tusk replacement. The action on mine was right in the sweet spot for me so I didnā€™t need to lower it anymore and my neck is almost completely flat. Iā€™m not getting any fret buzz and it stays in tune like a champ!

You should be OK going from 11s to 10s with the only caveat being they might not offer all that much tension on a 23-1/8" scale length. Or they could be just fine, I donā€™t know but itā€™s worth noting.

Iā€™m sorry I donā€™t have better answers for you but it sounds like youā€™re on the right path anyway.

Richard

1 Like

So, feedback on the ā€œzero fretā€ construction? I understand what it is, but I donā€™t know much about it. Do you notice any difference?

I like them in principle, Iā€™ve now got two guitars sporting them, but I donā€™t know if Iā€™ve noticed a difference yet. To me having a zero fret on a less expensive instrument is going to mean that the nut has less potential to cause tuning issues as it is really only working as a string guide when used with a zero fret. Also, if it does happen that one of the nut slots is not deep enough itā€™s an easy stress-free fix and a slot that is too deep will likely go unnoticed as it wonā€™t affect the playability.

1 Like

Hi-
FYI I am trying the extra lights 10ā€™s because several experienced players suggested it in the Amazon reviews. Said they made the guitar much easier for beginners. Several people changed the saddle to a compensated one for better sound quality. I have that on my Zager but wouldnt know what size fits this guitar.
Can you let me know what saddle you bought and was it able to be just dropped in without sanding the bottom. My neck is just about flat and straight as well. Trying to learn to do easy things myself if possible and save the $.
Thanks. Take care.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure the 10s will be fine.

I did change the saddle, mine came with a bone saddle that was not intonated and when I changed it I stayed with bone but used a blank that I filed and intonated myself. I did try to intonate the original saddle but I ended up filing the D-sting bevel on the wrong side of the saddle.

The saddle length is 72mm
Thickness is 3mm
Height (from memory) was right around 12mm

Okay, I just ordered one. Iā€™m a little nervous buying something like this, sight unseen, but I guess itā€™s not a terribly expensive gamble.

If you order with a Prime membership, I sometimes forget that not everyone is going to belong to Amazon, you can always send it back for free if you donā€™t like it. :+1:

It arrived today. All Iā€™ve done is unbox it, tune it, and put the included strap on. Then I strummed a few chords, played a couple of scales.

The construction quality is quite good. The tuners seem stable, would have liked them to be a little lower geared so the incremental change would be more gradual. The action is higher than I would like, but I expected that.

Also as I expected, the tone is a bit ā€œtinnyā€ for lack of a better term. With the small body and the composite material, I figured the bass response wouldnā€™t be much. The small body also means itā€™s not very loud. Again, I didnā€™t expect it to sound like my Taylor. It doesnā€™t sound ā€œcheapā€ just more trebly and quieter.

The gig bag is nice, with a big storage pocket. The strap is much better than I expected, and a spare set of strings and a truss rod wrench is nice (although I have a complete set of Music Nomad wrenches, so I didnā€™t need it.)

So, itā€™s quite a good value for the money as long as youā€™re realistic about what to expect.