NGD: Martin DJr-10E StreetMaster

Picked up a Martin DJr-10E, today. I played it at the guitar store and liked the relatively big sound and tone from such a tidy little guitar. Stuff I like about it:

• The size. Great for playing on the couch or at my desk.
  • The size. Great for taking it somewhere (e.g., friendā€™s house, gig, whatever)
  • The volume and tone for a guitar of this size. It sounds good.
  • The fact that I can take it somewhere (e.g., a gig, a bar, a party, etc.) and not worry as much as I would with some of my other guitars (e.g., the OM-35 or my Alvarez-Yairi).
  • It has a Fishman pickup, so if we end up at a gig or open mic or something I can plug in if I want to.
  • The look/feel. Itā€™s solid wood, and has what Martin is calling a ā€œdistressed finishā€ that looks slightly worn, but not what Iā€™d consider relicā€™d.

No dislikes so far. I guess weā€™ll see.

Iā€™ll post a pic, but probably not until tomorrow. Maybe Iā€™ll record something with it, too.

3 Likes

Pics or it didnā€™t happen!

Sweet pickup! I like small guitars for so many reasons. Should be fun to have in the quiver!

2 Likes

Love my 2012 Martin DM-15. Itā€™s all mahagony top sides back. No electric, but how do you think it compares to your DJr-10E? -R

Congratulations!

1 Like

Happy NGD Jason. Glad to read that there is nothing you dislike about it, so far.

Iā€™m looking forward to seeing the pictures.

1 Like

Happy NGD Jason. I looked this guitar up online and the distressed finish looks pretty cool. Ideal for a ā€˜take anywhereā€™ guitar.

1 Like

Happy Neq Guitar day!
Love these like that :smiley:

1 Like

D-15s are fine instruments. The most obvious difference is the size. The D-15 is a dreadnought, so itā€™s bigger, and probably louder with richer low end. The DJr-10 is quite a bit smaller, has a shorter scale length, narrower nut, and a different neck taper. Material-wise, theyā€™re both solid wood guitars, but the DJr-10 is sapele and the D-15M is mahogany. Those are (very) similar woods, but mahogany is considered the premium wood of the two. There are other areas where the D-15 has slightly higher quality materials. For example, the D-15 has a bone nut compared to the DJr-10Eā€™s corian nut, and the D-15 has a rosewood bridge compared to the DJr-10Eā€™s Richlite bridge. Same story for the saddle: D-15 has bone, DJr-10E has Tusq.

Mainly due to the size difference, in a head-to-head comparison of tone and volume Iā€™d expect the D-15 to come out on top. But the small size and playability is the big draw for the DJr-10, so itā€™s all about what youā€™re looking for and the right guitar for a given situation or role. For recording, Iā€™d probably almost always pick my OM-35E over the DJr-10E. But for grabbing a guitar to play on the couch while watching TV, or taking to an open mic or jam session Iā€™d pick the DJr-10E.

Hereā€™s a picture:

6 Likes

Oooh - thatā€™s beautiful.

1 Like

Happy NGD Jason!! Thatā€™s a stunning looking guitar!

1 Like

Happy NGD Jason

1 Like

Hi Jason,
Happy NGD :sunglasses: :partying_face:
Amazing how it looksā€¦
Greetings

1 Like

I posted a couple quick recordings of this guitar on my Learning Log.

When I recorded with it this afternoon I discovered that Iā€™m not a fan of the pickup. Itā€™s got the quack. Iā€™ve been spoiled by the pickup in the OM-35. Not a deal breaker, of course, but definitely noticeable.

Thatā€™s sure a nice looking guitar! Happy NGD :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Looks fabulous, Jason. As always appreciate the detail info and thoughtfulness in your share.

1 Like

Looks and sounds fabulous happy NGD!

1 Like

Sweet!!

1 Like

Happy NGD Jason!

1 Like