Not sure what to call this - problem with D minor chord

I am just wondering, being stuck on mudule 4 beginner 1, if any one else has had a really difficult time with the finger exercise and the chord D minor. I have been stuck on this for a month. I just can’t get my finger spread enough for the execiese and my pinky on the d minor just doesn’t want to stop covering on the low e string.
Happy Holidays everyone!

1 Like

@Jack255 if it’s holding you up and you’re getting bored move on. Dm is a tricky one but at the same time it doesn’t seem to come up too often. I’d suggest moving to the next lesson if you’re ready but keep doing the Dm exercise.
It will come - have you tried substituting your 3rd finger for your 4th to see if that works for you?

Hi Jack.
Finding difficulty forming certain chords is a very common issue. It can be different chords for different people.
You do have a choice with D minor of either 3rd finger or 4th finger for the 3rd fret of the B string.

You do need to keep working at it but move on as you do so, making sure it remains in your practice routine. Why not try a different approach?

To improve the formation of a chosen chord (D minor for you here):

Hold your fingers near to but not touching the strings.
Touch the fingers where the chord is but do not press.
Once you have all three touching at the correct place then press them down.
Do not strum - this is a fretting hand exercise only.
Release the pressure after a few seconds but keep touching the strings.
Then move your hand away from the strings by a small amount. All fingers away.
Repeat the process.

Then, to improve changes to and from the chosen chord and other commonly grouped chords, repeat the above process with one alteration. After the final step of lifting all fingers away, the next cycle would be to move fingers over the chord that you are changing to. Once that chord has been done and fingers are lifted away, go back to the first chord of the pair.

Wash, rinse, repeat. Make this exercise last about five minutes.

Example - D minor chord plus some associated chords

1 minute - Dm alone
1 minute - Dm & Am
1 minute - Dm and C
1 minute - Dm and Em
1 minute - Dm alone

Practice daily and within a week you will be smashing it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers :smiley:

| Richard_close2u | Community Moderator, Official Guide, JustinGuitar Approved Teacher

8 Likes

Thank You for the suggestions. I will give them a try. I am not getting bored, it’s more frustration as I can’t get my fingers to do what I want. I have even though of creating some kind of a brace to wear at night that would have my fingers in the proper fret board position. Not sure how I would do that though.

I take consolation from the fact that, as much as I’d like to think so, I’m not unique :grinning:. Thousands have faced the same problems as me in the past - the key is to be among those that persisted and conquered it.
Merry Xmas.

1 Like

Dm is a difficult chord. I stayed in Module 4 for a longer time, on purpose. I initially struggled with my pinky finger on the 3rd fret of the B string but patience and practice paid profoundly. While I was ‘hovering’ in Module 4 I decided to learn the C chord so I wouldn’t get completely bored. I think my decision was the right one for me. I would rather take it slow and get the fundamentals done than rush. The other thing that worked in my favour…I had a couple of days that I couldn’t practice…when I got back at it, I was playing better than I had before.
My guitar is always out so if I have a couple of minutes while the breakfast is cooking, I will practice a few chord progressions. Even though it isn’t formal practice, it helps.
Don’t give up.

1 Like