Notter's Learning Log

Good to get feedback on the ups and downs Mark.

How is the major scale practice? I noticed Justin had swapped the order of teaching to this first from the pentatonic scales, is this making sense? I’m feeling the pentatonic/blues will be more useful down the road for rock lead, but Justin works in mysterious ways…

Hi Dave @liaty ,
The major scale stuff is good actually, its positioning in the course made sense to me as it tied into my younger days of learning piano and flute which was all major scale. The the other element, I think, as to why it is where it is, is that it’s a scale that uses open strings so compounds what you’re learning with the open chords and grade one theory and then note circle, it’s solid ground work.

I agree that when it comes to soloing then pentatonics are likely more useful / relevant but it all adds to good knowledge and feel. The shape of the major scale is quite different so having that under your fingers first actually makes the pentatonics easier to memorise, at least I thought.

Cheers Mark👍

1 Like

Hi All, no update since November is pretty poor! I’m just back from a weeks holiday during which I thought I really needed to get the LL back up and running so here we go. As a quick aside time away from the guitar is really more and more challenging! I was in a cafe one evening whilst away where there was an acoustic on the wall and was seriously tempted but didn’t think the Austrian locals would have been that into Oasis :wink: :rofl:

Anyway, there’s not masses of news for the log, other than updating the Grade 2 list below with links to AVOYP / OM performances with 3 more songs well on the way to being ready to record, I’m aiming to post those before the end of this month. I’ve had a thought on the Blues consolidation piece and, rather than go for a specific song, I’m going to take the Beginner Blues Solo backing track on Guitar Pro, which repeats 6 times I think, and come up with a variety of solo takes to tick that box.

I’m really wanting to get onto Grade 3 soon as I want to feel like I’m learning again, but at the same time I’m going to hold myself to the songs below before doing so, I put it down so shouldn’t be “willy-nilly” in completing it. I’ve been doing some other songs too in parallel which hasn’t helped me in ticking these off, my thinking now being that those other songs can be saved for future OMs :wink:

Finally, it’s been interesting to look back at my 2022 goals further up the log here and i’m pleased to say I’ve ticked all of them pretty well, albeit not necessarily in the original intended timing. The only one that did not progress was meeting up to play with someone, although that is work in progress! As for 2023, I think mainly two specific goals to add to meeting up with somone which are to kick on and complete the beginners course, ie finish Grade 3, and get to a live OM somewhere. There are a few venues local to me that host evenings and I hope to not embarrass myself too much if / when I do!

Not the most interesting of updates but good to get back onto the Learning Log horse, thanks for reading! :slight_smile: :+1:

The updated G2 list:

• REM - Everybody Hurts
  • REM – Man on the Moon
  • Green Day – Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)
  • Green Day – Macy’s Day Parade
  • Blur – Coffee & TV
  • Oasis – Whatever
  • Oasis – Don’t Look Back in Anger
  • Red Hot Chilli Peppers – Californication
  • Bradley Cooper / Lady Ga Ga – Shallow
  • Notter – An Original Song
  • Nirvana – Lithium
  • Eric Clapton – Cocaine
  • Metallica – Enter Sandman
  • Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
  • Slackstring – Sunday Jen
  • Blues – Solo work to the Begginers Blues Solo backing track
7 Likes

Good to see you back, Mark, and giving attention to your plans.

All I can say is that unless your live OM is at the Albert Hall with a bunch of pros I am sure you will not embarrass yourself. It seems to me that OM regulars remember well the challenges when first performing and are supportive. And attending without performing to test the water is a good first step.

Keep on keeping on!

1 Like

Hey Mark! Great update, I know too well the feeling of wanting to move forward. Good on you for sticking to your plan.

I’ll say this though. Grade 3 is a lot less structured, or more like the structure is designed for you to work on the things you want to work on. So it wouldn’t be too bad moving forward. Don’t want to tempt you though lol.

1 Like

Thanks @DavidP , remembering when I first started this journey my mind was always wandering and wondering about the sensation of an in person / on stage perfromance. It’s quite bizarre in many ways to actually be genuinely considering it, all thanks to Justin and the community!

@alexisduprey tempting indeed, but I will be trying to stay strong :rofl:

I meant to add to the update earlier, I’ve also completed the grade 2 music theory module and ear training 1 and 2, passing both happily. Ear training is also a part of my current practice routine.

Hey Mark, great update, interesting reading! Seems as if you were on the right path and if you were progressing well. Must be a good feeling having reached the self setted goals, congrats! I’m sure, the live OM and jamming with others is only one little step away…wish you all the best and hope to hear one of your “almost ready to record” songs soon. Always a pleasure to listen! Have a good start into Grade 3 when time is right to start!

1 Like

This is very nice to read Mark, I’m happy for you! :blush:

1 Like

Hi Mark. Not at all, plenty of what you succeeded with, what are you struggling with, and what plans you have. Good (and interesting) update. Keep working as good as you are.

1 Like

Back again :-), trying to make sure I get a monthly update in so here goes…

Actually pretty pleased with the last few weeks, it really does feel like I’ve got my head into a more focussed place to work through my list above / below. 3 more songs are now a wrap in Macy’s Day Parade, Sunday Jen and Don’t Look Back in Anger, all linked now if you’re interested. Macy’s Day Parade was by far the hardest of all of those with it’s heavy barre chord requirements and percussive hits in play for 90% of the song. There was / is definitely more work needing to go into it but the structure is firmly in my head and hands and I’d love to be able to put this out in a future community OM. Sunday Jen was my first use of a Digitech Trio+ band creator pedal and was just so much fun to work on to lay it down, adjust the arrangement and play it. This was one of those songs I wanted to be able to play before I even started the course so to do what I’ve done with it makes me really proud. I remember the first time I looked at a tab for it when I was in grade 1 and gave a true cartoon “gulp”, especially at B7! As of posting Don’t Look Back in Anger earlier today I’m going to focus purely on the guitar playing for the rest of this list in terms of passing myself into Grade 3, these are all still songs I’d like to sing to eventually but the extra time that takes per song would leave me here for most of this year at the moment.

In a similar vein, I’m going to go a little against my comment in my last update and delete a few songs from the list to pass myself, specifically Coffee & TV, Californication and Shallow. Coffee & TV is more percusssive hits and having spent so many months on Macy’s I feel I’ve got the beginnings of that technique ok. It’ll stay as a song to learn for me, just not for consolidation. Similarly Californication I’ve actually already done a lot with and posted a couple of videos on it, both rhythm and solo so I don’t feel the need at this stage to add to that. Lastly, Shallow, well really this is more of a Dreamer song if I’m being honest and is a bit out of place in this list. It will get worked on at some point as it’s beautiful, but I honestly think it would become a frustration and hinderance for progression. Forgive me :wink:

I’m now signed up to the Practical Music Theory course having passed Grade 2 on that last month. Having done a fair bit of music in early life the first couple of grades have been straightforward enough but this has been good to refresh and begin to apply it to the guitar specifically, looking forward to more specifics through the next grades. I’ve also covered Ear Training 1 and 2 and will embark on 3 over the next month. This is a really good challenge and highly recommend it to anyone who’s not looked at it yet. I can’t say I’ve really applied it to any song listening or playing yet but it is something I’m going to try to focus on.

Community OM XIV - Just a really brief note of thanks to the group for inviting me to become part of the team in hosting the event last weekend, I had an absolute blast doing it and will happily pick up the virtual mic anytime! Again this community has given me so much in the 16 or so months I’ve been a part of it that it’s a pleasure to support it in any way I can. Congrats again to everyone, it was a hell of a show :metal:

Live OM - I’ve been exploring local Open Mics to scope out for later in the year, I was hoping to get to my nearest one tonight in fact to see what the crowd, organisers and vibe was but Covid has gotten in the way. They’re a monthly event so I’ll scope out next month’s one with a view to hopefully sitting in front of a bunch of people in 3D, who don’t know me, with a guitar in my hand before the year is out! Inspiration has been taken from David P’s comments on his own experiences and guidance on K.I.S.S. appproach for songs. Guarantee I’ll be needing the Community’s moral support when that comes around so watch this space!!

As usual, I’ve rambled for more than I thought I would so thanks for persisting (if you have :wink: ). Rock on everyone :metal: :guitar: :guitar:

Adjusted and Updated List before Grade 3:

7 Likes

Morning Mark,
Good that you chose music theory…
Now you are going to have super fun moments/ :bulb: for sure…Nice update which I accidentally tripped over :sunglasses:
Greetings…

1 Like

Thanks for the comprehensive update, Mark. Such joy to follow your progress, milestone follows milestone, and I’m sure you’ll just love the 3D OM when you get there!

1 Like

Great update to the log Mark. It’s good to see the progress being made and what an integral part of the community you’ve become.

1 Like

Thanks for the progress update Mark, good to see again some additional songs uploads to your Learning Log and hope to see plenty more soon!

1 Like

Good progress Mark and encouraging to see you sounding out “real” live events. Hopefully the virtual OM experience has encouraged you.

1 Like

I had a nice reading through your update! I’m happy for you, that your consolidation is going well. I just started Module 14 with a funny feeling about beeing happy to finish Grade 2 soon, but also a little hesitant about going into Grade 2 consolidation. I feel like having learnt to swim and being ready to dive into a whole ocean of skills to improve. Good to see, how others master their consolidation time without getting distracted. Never thought, there would be so many rabbit holes…
Greetings!

1 Like

Hi Mark. Good update. You’re almost there with finishing consolidating grade 2. I do not see nothing wrong with replacing the songs that you have chosen to consolidate certain skills. Some songs can work for more than one skill. Good luck on finding the opportunity to play in front of an in person audience.

1 Like

Hello again all, right then let’s get this show back on the road…I can’t believe that my LL has laid dormant since March, no wonder the preview window has asked me if I really want to revive this thread. Yes, yes I do! I’ve been away from the community since about November, just after OM 20 where I cracked out Blame It On Me by George Ezra which was a really fun song to learn and perform, enjoyed that a lot, so rather than pick up the LL from March, let’s just skip to since then…

Personal Updates
I’ll keep these brief as this is a guitar community, and why I love it, and I certainly don’t want to go too off topic from it but in a small way sharing is more for my benefit than anything, by all means feel free to skip over this part! Had a number of issues with my work in the run up to Xmas which completely knocked me in a number of ways and exposed a few other challenges, resulting in a period signed off. During that time (between Xmas and New Year) I managed to contract shingles which frankly I would not wish on anyone. That completely laid me up for a month with some risk to my eyesight in one eye which has fortunately now all cleared with no long term problems. But the after-effects of the disease are still with me. On the upside I’m progressing day by day which is all that matters now. So that’s that, but what you may be more interested in is…

:guitar: Stuff!
I ended up getting quite hung up with my list above on G2 consolidation, actually to a point that was quite detrimental I think. Lithium did get recorded and posted which was good fun to learn and play, if you want a solid power chord workout, seriosusly, go for this!! The remainder I ended up putting unnecesary pressure on myself to do and actually wasn’t quite feeling those items as much, so didn’t put effort into them, and subsequently became deflated that I wasn’t “achieving” them. Enter Sandman I am including in practice for bursts and would like to complete. Nothing Else Matters actually is, if not literally unrealistic at this stage, certainly highly ambitious for between G2 and G3.

So what have I learned from that period? What I would say to anyone getting close to finishing G2 and moving through that period is to really take Justin’s comments on board to focus on having fun and that alone. Don’t get too prescriptive with what you want to play and above all, don’t let a list such as mine become the be all and end all before you move on, you will know when you’re ready.

I took the decision to start looking at Grade 3 in early November time and found the more open nature of the practice session and “think for yourself” approach a real challenge, especially in terms of when to move on. In fact in terms of module completion I’ve not moved on from module 15 yet, again because I’ve got hung up on one element which I haven’t looked at yet, transcribing. Only the other day JK made a comment about not putting much time into it which just made me tut and think why did I not take the same conclusion!! So I am planning on moving to Module 16 imminently and just rolling with it. Turns out thinking for yourself in a musical practice sense takes some effort and self-forgiveness in a way!

What I am pleased with however in terms of the recent practice is

1. My D Chord Explorer study which in itself has ticked real progress boxes with tabbing it and it functions as an original composition (if not song!!).
  2. Finger gym has been a fun exercise and I’m noticing the benefits in finger dexterity when spending time improvising, and in hammer ons for embellishments in song work.
  3. Slowly slowly I’m manipulating my hands to work on thumb muting and wrapping over for the likes of G. Not a crucial skill but I can see the value and as I’ve got quite large paws I think long term it would serve me well.
  4. Just going easier on myself really, with everything above my ability / inclination to regularly practice has gone a bit all over the place which has made me frustrated, the way the mind works eh?!
  5. I spent a bit of time sorting through my songs list etc and properly putting together my songbook, not a mish-mash of songs I’ve learned along the way, but the ones I will want to keep playing and developing. These are all in a dedicated folder which is really encouraging to have to hand. When I put it together I was pleasantly surprised that it was 15 songs (or 16 now with Karma Police ). That’s more than an album! :wink:
  6. And the best bit I can share which felt really good, despite feeling pretty ropey over the holidays, on Boxing Day whilst with family I finally, finally actually stood up and played and sung in front of them, I haven’t even properly played live in front of my partner in the 3 years I’ve been learning (albeit she’s been in the house whilst I’ve been practicing, it’s still a different kettle of fish doing it under a more performance spotlight). I wasn’t really planning on it to be honest, we’d finished lunch, I wasn’t drinking as I was on driving duty so I just picked up the guitar and went for it. I ended up playing 5 or 6 songs myself and then a couple more of me playing as backing for my niece who’s a terrific voocalist. I wish, in retrospect, one of the family would have recorded a bit of it but there you go, it felt like quite an achievement! :slight_smile:

So what’s next and the aspirations ahead for 2024, I think taking a lesson from my G2 consolidation experience I want to be more relaxed with the goals, but I’ll lay out a few as we stand now:

1. Just progress through G3 if I finish it or not in 2024 doesn’t matter, just move along and develop
  2. I want to start a project with my songbook to put down multiple tracks and record vocals seperately on some of them which is more about focussing on general musicianship than just guitar. I bought a small midi controller last year which I haven’t made much use of so far.
  3. I stated this last year but it didn’t happen, which is fine, but I would like to go properly live at an OM. Couple of options close to me and I recently discovered my brother’s local opposite him have started doing them. I know the pub (funnily enough! :rofl:) so it’d be familiar surroundings, let’s see what happens there!
  4. Music theory, I’ve purchased the theory course now and will just plan to progress at my own pace, but definitely want to progress here.
  5. Lastly, and this one is a little tentative at the moment simply as I haven’t landed on a decision yet, but inspired by a number of other community members’ progress I’d like to begin a study block of one of the songbooks, just not sure which yet.

And that’s me caught up I think, good for me to lay a lot of that out actually. Onwards and upwards, thanks all!!
:guitar: :heart:

12 Likes

Hi Mark,
Well…that’s quite a story :grimacing:…and then someone would say to me that I’m a man of many words :smile:

Very good to read that you are on the mend and still take what happened to you see and approached very seriously… I think it is indeed important to share such things if it gives you even a little bit of relief or whatever also… that makes being here so pleasant…

And as for playing the guitar stuff etc… yes, yes, you will come along too … :grin:

all the best from here :sunglasses: :mending_heart:

2 Likes