Older guitar students - can 'old dogs' learn new tricks?

Squier Stratocaster Affinity

1 Like

I will keep going while I can - 25:48 for 5k parkrun this morning. I would like to get back to sub 24 that I was doing 4 years ago before being out with a ligament injury.

3 Likes

I have seen demos of the Squier Strat on you tube. I have been thinking of getting one of those, however, I already have a few electrics… :laughing:

1 Like

Awesome! Good to see another runner here. I’m 58 and I’ve been a runner since high school. Currently rehabbing from a grumpy meniscus and looking forward to running the Peachtree Road Race here in Atlanta on July 4th!

1 Like

Hey Andrew, did you try a short scale bass, there are quite a few about!
Baritones are nice, I have been on and off lusting after one myself but I can get the effect by using a pitch shifter so it’s not a real issue!
I’m learning on a full length one and although I’m not that big I’m getting on OK.
Bass can be used as a solo instrument, this is a friend of mine:

3 Likes

Thank you for the encouragement - I just started at 54 two weeks ago and can only do 12 changes a minute from A to D and vice versa, did you feel like it was almost impossible for the first few weeks? Just need some more encouragement!

2 Likes

It sure was hard at the start, just getting those fingers to move on the one minute changes seemed like it would never work. 12 changes a minute will soon become 20 and then 30 and on. Hang in there, you are definitely on your way. Rome wasn’t built in a day. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I sort of lost track of this thread and missed a bunch of new arrivals. HI ALL YOU NEWBIES!!!

This old dog has a question about new songs. Does anyone have any recommendations for songs written post 90’s that I might actually like that still only used the 8 open chords as that’s all I know?

All my practice songs are back from the 60s and 70s, with groups like Buffalo Springfield, Jefferson Airplane, Neil Young, etc. I have one newer song that I like, What’s Up by 4 non blondes and it’s from 1993. I just listened to the 5 Harry Styles songs Justin has and, nope, don’t like them at all. I’m hoping someone has some ideas otherwise I’ll just keep slogging through what’s on the website hoping to come up with one or two. Maybe I’ll get lucky.

Oops, I do have How to save a Life by the Fray, it came out in 2008. Still a little fast for my fingers though, lol.

1 Like

Hey Rebecca,

Given you like Whats Up, heres a few fairly straight forward post 90s songs that you might like;

“Ho Hey” by The Lumineers
“Hallelujah” by Jeff Buckley
“Hey, Soul Sister” by Train
“All of Me” by John Legend
“Let Her Go” by Passenger
“Counting Stars” by OneRepublic
“Wagon Wheel” by Old Crow Medicine Show
“Pumped Up Kicks” by Foster the People

Cheers, Shane

3 Likes

Thanks, none of those titles are familiar so I’ll check them out.

1 Like

You might also like;
“Drops of Jupiter” by Train
“Joey” by Concrete Blonde
“Head Over Heels” by Blue Rodeo

4 Likes

Hi Micksull,
I’m 61 with teenage kids and a full time job but moments learning music on my guitar are gold, not quite sure how to describe it but I think it is because, no matter what else is going on, I’ve done something rewarding uniquely for myself. The lessons on the site of Justin and co. are perfect for tidying up my messy self taught bits and pieces. Some nice moments to come for you when your newborn grows a little and wants to play a song with you. All the best Greg

5 Likes

I agree. I’ve had lots of hobbies but this one has been the most satisfying and I seem more obsessed with this "hobby’ then any of the others.

2 Likes

63 years young here. Retired in 2015 and finally made a honest and complete commitment to learn how to play just a few weeks ago. I want to enjoy and embrace every step of the way! A,D and E chord changes for now. Starting private lessons this week. This Marine will “Take that hill”. I wish you all well and I hope everyone is successful in their own journey! Great forum!

5 Likes

Hi Edward! A very warm welcome to the community! A lot of fellow guitar enthousiasts here started to play later in their lifes and never regretted. A rewarding way to spend time! I wish you a lot of fulfilling hours with your guitar. Nice to have you here.

3 Likes

Hi All,
I’m also one of the old dogs. I have been tinkering around with an acoustic guitar for around 10 years but never really leaned to play anything except a handful of chords. This time I’m serious and have set myself a 30 day challenge.

I’m a native Texan but have lived on a little island in Australia the past 20 years.

cheers!

9 Likes

Hello Dale and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

Justin course is a great place to be if you’re wanting to get serious about your guitar playing. Enjoy.

2 Likes

Hi DaleRogers,

I also am one of the old dogs so to speak, in Australia and on an island. Welcome, as the common theme here is we all share the dream and have made the commitment to learn.
i am personally blown away be this community, the friendliness, the help and genuine attitude .
we could not be in a better place so to speak to foster our dream and desire, may your journey be a inspiring one as this community has inspired me to go as far as possible.
cheers have a good one as we say here.

7 Likes

Hi Dale, and a warm welcome to the community :hugs:.
I wish you a wonderful guitar journey, and this time - with Justin and this supportive community at your side - you’ll stick with it :smiley:.

4 Likes

Hi Richard! Not sure if it is suitable to post here, I would consider myself as “old learner” :sweat_smile: as many talented guitarists out there pick up guitar at very young age.

Well got to work hard, and really hard to catch them up, as I dig it at my late teens… so I think having great motivation and purpose would serve good in any stages of life =)

1 Like