Onboarding is this genuine?

Put your iPhone into desktop mode and your sorted to take the exam. No excuses. Good luck :smiley:

Put your teeth away Rogier :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

1 Like

I got the email explaining the whole ā€œonboardingā€ process. It includes a button to click to go to the questionnaire. Iā€™m afraid to do it. Itā€™s liable to tell me ā€œyouā€™re wasting our time. Have you considered shuffleboard?ā€

Better than being water-boarded I suppose :nerd_face:

Dear all,

I just wanted to feedback it works for me. Last week I finished my Grade 1 and freshly started first module of Grade 2. When I completed this Quiz it told me to start on Grade 2, so I guess it works. :slight_smile:

Just a quick catch from me, thanks and have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m not convinced Shane, it told me to start at Grade 3, despite all the intermediate modules Iā€™ve completed. Can only assume it makes no reference to your Journey entries and just responds to the answer you give.

I deliberately selected Donā€™t Know for level to see what it came back with. So I guess it supports what Iā€™ve always said, tongue in cheek. Advanced Beginner :thinking:

thats it
Its based on the answers to the questions
If you dont answer honestly you wont get a proper guidance

I answered honestly. I am not confident enough to say I am definitely an Intermediate ā€œplayerā€ but the questions seemed limited to G1 & 2 Lessons material, as none really touched on the G4,5 & 6 stuff I have done or doing. Maybe @FannyJustinGuitar can shed some light ?

1 Like

Hi Toby,
So if Iā€™m right, you are a bit unsure whether you are completely ready to be an intermediate guitar player, then you answer some general questions and then you end up starting with grade 3 (of course the system cannot fill in the last 5 modules grade 3 etc) and grade 3 is just before the intermediate group ā€¦ think think, I donā€™t really see the problem :grin:

the questions brought me to grade 4 and then I can work on the E-shape baree and master them ā€¦ that was okay a few years ago :sweat_smile: ā€¦ and I still do a lot of grade 3 exercises myselfā€¦ I think it is a useful test and there is a lot of demand for it and I expect it to be a useful tool, especially for people who are starting out and play with little regularity for up to about 3 yearsā€¦

Of course it has to be a bit general, otherwise we just have to hire a private teacher :sunglasses:
I sometimes hear that there are 2 good ones hanging around here :smiley:

Greetings

1 Like

I wasnt saying that for you :sweat_smile:
it was just in general

No its not the ā€œbeā€ its the labelling. I have just relooked at Grade 4, 5 & 6 and pretty much did all of that during the old Intermediate Courses 1 & 2 years ago. in fact today I am going through Grade 4 much as I did with the rewritten G1 & 2. to check if anything has changed and to mark the lessons complete, if I donā€™t need to polish those skills. All well and good so far.
I will then do the same for G5 and G6 and therefore establish where I am on the learning path.

The point I was making and from what I recall, there where no real questions about A shape barre chords, 7th, 9th, Major and pent patterns beyond pattern 1, so it seems limited or maybe restricted to the first couple of grades.

Maybe if I had answered Yes to transcribing (I donā€™t do enough) or that I thought I was Intermediate, rather saying I did not know, extra questions may have been asked or it would not have told me to start from G3, when I am on the last 2 modules. Those are the only 2 questions I did not answer Yes to so the result sounded a bit odd or as I said limited.

1 Like

Oh yes, the hated labels, :smile:
I like to say who cares (especially with things like this), but yes it is not fun for some, I have already read that above , well a test to determine your level, that includes a test result :blush:ā€¦but I wouldnā€™t worry about it at all if I were you, so much experience with music and this site, these questions are not intended for us at all the labels are very difficult to match at a point, and that you were not asked questions about those baree`s and 7th etc due to a previous question to answer in a certain way (probably underestimating yourself)ā€¦

You`re too long a guitar player to get itchy about it :sunglasses:

1 Like

That is the answer my friend. As soon as you answer no to a question the questionnaire ends. I answered no to transcribing too.

Yeah, so far in the journey, I get the impression you could be an intermediate player for some aspects but not others depending on the path you choose. I also think of the label as intermediate player as someone that has completed intermediate learning. Iā€™ll always be an advanced beginner player.

Guess thatā€™s where I differ, I see it as someone who can consistent apply that level of skill and not just ticked a completed lesson box. And yes I am for sure at that level learning wise and again at some aspects of playing but not all or all genres and thatā€™s fine. Example would be the difference between my Blues fingerstyle and ā€œfolkā€ pattern fingerstyle.

But as the Newsletter says, aimed at new users.

Off to tick some boxes !

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Well, itā€™s got everyone talking thatā€™s for sure.

All feedback, Iā€™m sure, will be gratefully received by @FannyJustinGuitar

2 Likes

I managed it, finally. I was not sent back to remedial work, thank goodness!

I think it is clear that this is not for those of us already entrenched in the Justin Guitar system. Fun as it may be, it isnā€™t terribly nuanced in its assessment of our current progress.

It will work well for someone brand new to the site and trying to decide if and how to start.

Mostly it was an advertisement, with certain answers pulling up information on how this program would help them with that interest or issue. Then it roughly gauges where you might place yourself when starting.

I thought it was accurate for me and that presumed situation. I am firmly entrenched in the no persons land between grade 3 and 4, which really means early grade 4, and the quiz placed me in grade 3 to start. I think that is about right, if I were a new customer/student/client to Justin Guitar. Jumping off into grade 4 would leave a bit of a base behind.

1 Like

What are these ā€˜gradesā€™ you speak of? :thinking:
Any questionnaire that does not recognise my guitar genius is surely not worth the ones and zeroes that make up its algorithm :rofl:

6 Likes

Well I got Grade 4, so thatā€™s reasonably accurate Iā€™d say. (I was hoping it would also say ā€œMust take Blues Immersion Courseā€ lol.) With the info that comes up about Justinā€™s website after each question you answer Iā€™d definitely say itā€™s intended for people new to the website, not those of us already here for awhile. With that in mind, I donā€™t recall if there was anything in the info provided about the JG Community, but if not I think that would be a really good thing to have (note for @FannyJustinGuitar ). Yes itā€™s very busy in the Community, and impossible to keep up with all posts, but itā€™s also a great community and highlighting that in the Onboarding questionnaire would be great info for new people on the website.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s all the fuss about? This is what Fanny said several days ago.

Then she added

4 Likes

And in the newsletter Justin said this

Even if youā€™ve been with us for years, I encourage you to take the Onboarding Quizā€”itā€™s a quick way to ensure youā€™re making the most of JustinGuitar.

1 Like