Open Mic 006 - Call for interest

Not gonna do public shaming here, but there are some more frequent violators :face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Hmm, I seem to have chosen my words or expressed myself poorly- or perhaps the wrong time and place :thinking:
These are still early days in the Community and I have consciously not taken an active role in any of the OM organization, so apologies for ruffling any feathers.
I do think it’s likely that we will have to figure out the best way to accommodate larger numbers in a different way, but that can wait.
Regarding the ‘strangers’ remark, that was not from the Community’s point of view, but rather from my own- I have no desire to have ‘views’ by people I don’t know eg. YT/fb/twitter clicks. On the other hand, there are many new members of the Community that I do not know, and I was trying to express that I should not be regarding them as ‘strangers’.
@glpguitar understand your concerns (and alluded to them in my last post).
I like to think positively about what is likely to happen, rather than prepare for worst case scenarios (although I do enjoy writing songs about the latter :wink:).
Anyway it’s bedtime for me and I’ll probably join in again later when we have a specific thread on the matter :sleeping:

Good night Mr L sleep well. Tomorrow’s another day and it’s well past zed o’clock here as well !

No hard feelings or anything as such Brian, you have right to your own opinion and I think it’s a valid one.

I think after doing next couple events on new Community we can see where are we getting at in terms of numbers. Technically speaking there is a feature in Zoom called webinair which has it’s ups and downs.

Basically tons of people can join, but only host is visible to others or a performer. It can host probably limitless amount of people as well as our CEO and whole staff (about 2k+) can join and watch him simultaneously.

Ups is of course no risk of people or trolls interfering, more people can get into the stream and enjoy the show and there is no risk of link getting nicked and someone takes over transmission with person’s inappropriate behaviour (comparing to existing arrangement hence we hid links away and give to people only requesting it).

Downs is that it becomes less personal IMO, you can’t unmute after performance and say something or even do some clapping, it’s more performance focused. This would be something I think I would miss a lot. I am also unsure about the chat function, on our webinairs those are missing and only QA is available so no interaction between people at all!

And biggest downside which probably makes the whole thing impossible is that according to my wife I can request a licence as a one off. A single guy on our campus owns a licence and he can create a meeting and make me a host, something similar I do with David on Jason on the day. Could I switch original sound option on? I am not sure but as you can see plenty of unknowns in this equation.

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner I’m not sure yet, should know by the end of the month if I’m good for 0, 1, or 2 songs. And, if 1 or 2, happy to do 0 if there’s lots of folks wanting to play.

The 19th is still the only good day for me, whether performing or in the audience.

Thank you for doing all these updates Toby.

IT’S OFFICIAL !

OM6 WILL BE HELD ON SATURDAY 19TH FEBRUARY AND WILL START AT UTC 1900

STILL TIME TO JOIN IN THE FUN, AS PERFORMER OR IN THE AUDIENCE
JUST POST HERE IN THIS THREAD

Master of Ceremonies roll will be performed by Jason @Rossco01. Thank you Jason :smiley:

TheMadman_tobyjenner

Dec '21

Lets keep this party rockin !!

The 2 monthly slots have worked really well this year, so as I said at the end of the show last night, how about February 2022. Richard, tongue in cheek no doubt, suggested somewhere near Valentines Day, as he’s an old romantic (maybe he was a New Romantic).

Well as Saturdays have seemed to go down as a great day to host events, how about Feb 12th or 19th if folks are romantically engaged on the weekend before Valentines day ?

I’ll publish a bump nearer the time and updates on the run in, as we did this year.

Please add you UTC timezone or nearest major metropolis, so we can help decide on the best kick off time to accommodate as many as possible. If you are not sure of your timezone, this handy reference table may help (Thx Richard)

(For reference - Time Zone Map )

IT’S OFFICIAL !

OM6 WILL BE HELD ON SATURDAY 19TH FEBRUARY AND WILL START AT UTC 1900

STILL TIME TO JOIN IN THE FUN, AS PERFORMER OR IN THE AUDIENCE
JUST POST HERE IN THIS THREAD

EDIT : Performer and Audience Roster update @ 15th January 2022.

Performers

Zone Time Name Username No. Of Songs
UTC+2 21:00 David DavidP 2
UTC+2 21:00 Ivan SS7 1
UTC +1 20:00 Toby TheMadman_tobyjenner 1 - 2
UTC +1 20:00 Luka glpguitar 2
UTC +1 20:00 Rob R.F.W. 1
UTC 19:00 Jason Rossco01 2
UTC 19:00 Mike pikeamus 2
UTC 19:00 Adrian adi_mrok 2
UTC 19:00 Stefan SgtColon 1
UTC 19:00 brianlarsen brianlarsen 1
UTC -5 14:00 Tosh ToshS 1
UTC -5 14:00 Mari mari + 1 tbc
UTC -5 14:00 John John_in_Dot 1
UTC -6 13:00 David skeletor83 1
UTC +11 06:00 Tony tony **

** to be confirmed, location and comms dependent.

Audience

Zone Time Name Username
UTC 19:00 Darrell DarrellW
UTC 19:00 Stefan SgtColon
UTC 19:00 David DuRquhart
UTC 19:00 John Willsie01
UTC 19:00 Eric eric.lennon
UTC 19:00 Al grayal
UTC+1 20:00 Martin Kutzsche
UTC -5 14:00 Mike mds
UTC -5 14:00 Tom Tom_B
UTC -6 13:00 Pam pkboo3
UTC -6 13:00 Bala balamuthiahv
UTC -6 13:00 Kevin kdickson
UTC +11 06:00 Maggie batwoman *
UTC +11 06:00 Dee dennise *
UTC +11 06:00 Rod RodC *
UTC +11 06:00 Shane sclay *
  • Sunday morning 20th

Master of Ceremonies roll will be performed by Jason @Rossco01. Thank you Jason :smiley:

Finally, as we are in the middle of the migration, can you please check your details above. Some of the information relating to usernames have been carried over from the Forum. So if you have changed your handle please let me know, so the correct information is available here.

A link to the Zoom Meeting, hosting the vent will be distributed nearer the time, for everyone to check connectivity or highlighted any issues they may have. Thx Toby :sunglasses:

3 Likes

No problem Mari. Just let me know what you decide on and I’ll update accordingly. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Adi, I think this is the biggest asset of the current format. The audience interaction is an integral part of what we have here and without that, the OMs would be just like a stack of AOVYP videos. Nothing wrong with that per se but contrary to the objective of making this as close to a “real” Open Mic as possible, which I think we truly achieved in 2021. My 2 cents :sunglasses:

3 Likes

@TheMadman_tobyjenner

Love the banner, Toby. Just don’t see anybody with my hairstyle :rofl:

Just check back in the threads, I’m pretty sure @SS7 said he was ready for 2, subject to time-planning.

I think it now almost goes without saying that all the ‘regulars’ are ok to be flexible and play two or one, or even none depending on the number of people on the roster :grin:

David

Maybe not on stage with Joe Cocker but I am sure there will be someone out in the field !

As to the Sock man, I went on this but yes we will be as flexible as always :sunglasses:

1 Like

Is there an ‘Official’ guideline on performers doing covers without vocals?
I’m on the fence about playing a song, but in addition to being unsure of my vocals, even attempting a vocal teds to dramatically decrease my ability to play the instrument.
Looking at a some of the past OMs on youtube, it looks like most include vocals when its a cover of a song that has vocals.

Hi John no vocals necessary, check out number 1 OM and performance by Trevor aka tjc, he was a beginner and didn’t sing along just rocked the audience out of their socks with axe only :slight_smile:

I had one performance without singalong and Ivan aka @SS7 always prepares some tasty guitar lines without lyrics behind those :slight_smile:

Would be super awesome to see you around playing! :slight_smile:

John

If you want to play without vocals that’s fine. Although almost all of the performers to date have sung, we have had a few folks who have just played. Check Clint out in OM1 around 1hr15 but more importantly Trevor @ 1hr25, he was just making his way in Grade 1 but played his socks off !

If you’re comfortable just playing, just play. Its Justin Guitar after all and that the main thing. Let me know if you would like to be added to the roster and let me know your timezone, so we can factor that into the running order nearer the gig.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

Then please put me down as a performer of 1 song (I’m the same user as nhoj UTC -5 in the audience group)

Likely Blackbird or Ripple

2 Likes

Ah the John_in_dot threw me, I’ll add you in and change the name as well. Welcome aboard ! :sunglasses:

I love the poster! See you all on the 19th, it’ll be a great show!

Well put, people should not be strangers here. I have to say though, maybe I prepare too much for the worst case scenario in the digital events like this so I don’t get a chance to write a song or two about it :stuck_out_tongue: . But more on that when there is a dedicated thread to figure it all out.

Back to practice now, it’s going to be a massive show so I better come prepared!

1 Like

Wasn’t the original poster able to turn his/her post into a “wiki”?

Also, on occasion, @glpguitar has played without vocals - though has added in some commentary. Luka prefers his performances to be ‘on the moment’ and not in the video so they are not to be found in the archive recordings however.
I also did an instrumental piece.

@LievenDV Yes I turned it into a wiki but seems to have been temporary. When I went back to edit the function had gone. Maybe there needs to be some form on constant activity in the wiki or it reverts. ? :sunglasses:

Edit
From the Wiki testing thread post Jan 7th

If there’s still room I would like to join the audience. Thanks! UTC -6