Open Mic 007: Recording + After-Show Chat

Cheers Clint.
A more campfire version of the Planet Waves original but I just had to stick to the slow one, as I hate the “gingham and straw” version Zimmerframe does after it on the album!
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

@DavidP Great, polished performance there again David. Impressive fingerpicking too!
Opening these OMs is the perfect slot for you I reckon. Just sets the tone for the whole evening.
Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

We’ll done everyone ( new and old) as always a great selection of songs and performances tonight. A great and fitting performance for Richard. Thanks Brian for driving it and David/Adi for hosting!

4 Likes

@KevinKevan

Funny you mention that Kevin.
I had this thing the first 6-8 months about try to become a technical guitarist, and throw out the coolest blues licks and solos… me too have kind of… its difficult to explain, but i really enjoy doing… or… i dont feel the urge of doing hightec stuff. (Not that i can do it either)
«Easy» songs is just as «fun» to explore and play around with… i kind of feel like i have shifted focus a little bit the last 6 months…

3 Likes

Mari, I know exactly what you mean about smiling. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words!
The recording of the session will have distorted sound as well; not sure why because why because at this side, nothing changed and it was sound nice where I was standing.
I’ll record another for you soon :smiley:

4 Likes

@Richard_close2u

Congratulations Richard on your performance tonight. Enjoyed it immensely as always. It was a tremendous and special event.

Hope you really enjoyed the evening - a reflection of what you mean to so many people in this community.

I’m reminded of a sage quote I heard many years ago
(paraphrasing)

…“The status of a man is often seen in what he is able to receive. The true value of a man, however, lies in his giving”

Spades my friend, spades.

Cheers,
Shane

8 Likes

So, tomorrow same time guys?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

7 Likes

By the way, for anyone puzzling over my second tune, this is the original: Terry Bush ~ Maybe Tomorrow (The Theme From Littlest Hobo) - YouTube

5 Likes

A bit late to the after-show party and off to bed soon (yes, this old dog has forgotten that trick), but just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone again for taking part and supporting in whatever way you did.
I’m looking forward to going back and watching a number of the performances that I missed/was distracted from. it’s always an honour and pleasure to take part in these events.
Special kudos/vibes for all the first-timers who were fantastic, each and every one of them-
May many others follow your footsteps :grinning:

6 Likes

Hahaha I am really sorry for that Toby, I was sure I was doing it only on my own feed not to all! I discovered some immersive view on Zoom and I was wondering what this was! :rofl: I set up a cinematic view and I was hoping you on a spotlight would turn up on the screen but there wasn’t any screen and you were one of the audience members!! To hear you saying after that you all seen something odd really made me laugh haha but really sorry for this! What I did in the pic below to show you exactly what I mean :smiley:

5 Likes

I have played around with the volume envelope and set you up on -6 dB, I think it sounds better now after I publish it on YT! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you. After the show I started to revisit/practice a few songs and look for an affordable & useful stand for my smartphone. Talk about inspiration :smiley:

4 Likes

Apologies folks last 3+ hours of rendering the video went down the drain, for some reason the beginning hasn’t rendered at all, will need to leave it for the night and hopefully will be cooked up when I wake up and then uploading to youtube (around 9GB file, sic)! Patience my dears the link will eventually be sent out to public :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks Shane, much appreciated.

When I reflect I’d say I feel it was my best yet, better than last time which I thought was my best yet … the more we practice and play, the better we get.

I also adjusted my fx settings on my Play Acoustic for both guitar and vocal, sounds like I may have found a sweet spot.

Thanks again everybody for all the encouraging comments in the Chat.

Everybody produced wonderful performances on the night, in the heat of the moment.

I’m looking forward to watching the video as my incoming signal was not keeping up last night.

5 Likes

As one of the Audience, I can honestly say that it’s the best so far, the new people that joined in were really great; overall it was outstanding and there were some exceptional performances that I shall not go into because they were all really good in their own way!

5 Likes

Whatever you did David, don’t adjust it !! The balance and FX was a big improvement on your previous OM settings. The sound really popped.

2 Likes

Adi

I was wondering how you managed to grab me, whilst you were experimenting. Just checked Zoom settings and saw that “See myself as the active speaker when speaking” was unchecked. Wonder if that allowed the mosaic to flip, at my end at least ? Funny I had finally got comfortable having the video feed from OBS or Zoom showing on the PC monitor as I practiced. Maybe I’ll revert to my previous modus operandi of having a blank or neutral screen up or maybe just OBS.

Now its Sunday morning coffee and an OM post mortem time, to figure out what went wrong and why ! Jeez I even called Warren Haines, Warren Young but no doubt could have called him Young Haines and no one would have noticed.

All good fun at the end of the day.

Cheers

Toby

2 Likes

Thanks Toby. I applied a shotgun and (I think) used different reverb, delay, and chorus on chorus on the guitar, similar on the vocal. I also had a tight double turned on and down. Luckily I am now in the habit of storing each time. A smart person would write all this down, hook up to the PC App and create my own preset … never claimed to be smart :rofl:

Having upgraded the PC motherboard, CPU, and memory there is a possibility that it handled all the audio and video processing and streaming better as well. Now if only the network connectivity between my PC and the Zoom server hosting the meeting was better. I am pretty sure that is my limiting constraint but have no way to test it.

I think I noticed and think I mentioned his name. Wanted to mention Derek Trucks in the same chat comment … do you think I could remember his name :frowning_face:

2 Likes