Open Mic 10: Recording + After-Show Chat

@Rossco01 @TheMadman_tobyjenner @adi_mrok

Would it be worthwhile having a zoom night just for messing about with settings? See if a few of us can reproduce some of the issues seen and maybe post some solutions/guide notes? I know there are some up on here already… I went through mine and found the echo cancellation setting is in an hidden advanced menu, maybe just out of sight for Mark & Jen?

1 Like

Well then that’s good :rofl: :rofl: You could trace it to if I laughed while playing, that would be a mistake!

Please don’t let it put you off, and any other people thinking of doing it. Honestly if I saw tonight’s performance before I’d done my first one I don’t think I would have had the courage to step up to the mark the first time. Some of the players tonight especially Luka & Sheldon or Dave (@liaty) were so polished it can be pretty intimidating to follow something so good. And I say that thinking it is AWESOME we have such good performances and also want to encourage everyone to give it a go as most of us aren’t as polished as that.

Oh i’ll be back, I was race director for a 5k this morning which has consumed my brain for the last few weeks, have even avoided messing with my new focusrite for fear of exploding my head and upsetting the wife even more.

Funny I saw you laugh, just as I commented Jason was singing backing vocals and he did jazz hands

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: fantastic! I was just thinking I need to do more than the ‘dad head bob’

A few of us have touched on doing this on a one to one basis but maybe worth considering, say a week before the event. I am in no way an expert in the field and can only regurgitate the published set up and can’t add much more from a troubleshooting point of view but you make a valid point.

Something I will considered when I put the CFI out for OM IX. If anyone else has any views on this please let me know, so I can factor that in to future OM prep.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

There was a bit of toing and froing with this one as well I think early on following the capacity filling Open Mic ix

1 Like

Yeah when watching the gallery there were a few Baloos out there. “I’m gone man solid gone”. Always good to watch the audience.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Was a suggestion not made last time that only the performer should have his video on in order to help with bandwidth?

Uh oh from comments sounds like my screen share was wonky. I wonder if everyone got a bad feed from me? I may have to change my set up. :open_mouth:…Rod

1 Like

I’m not sure that makes it better, it does work for your own bandwidth

1 Like

Aye, but it sounded like echo cancellation or one of the other zoom settings to be fair, the video was OK and marks speaking came through OK…

1 Like

The sound was fine Rod, just the screen share video was freezing.

1 Like

rod you may see it on the recording Rod, your strumming wasn’t even in OBS but the sound was fine iirc

1 Like

Vast majority of the time that is not needed, none of the minor dramas tonight would have been any different with peoples video off

1 Like

If you’re using obs use the virtual stream function rather than screenshare. Audio was fine Rod

1 Like

Your audio was good Rod, you would get better video if you use OBS virtual camera in Zoom instead of screen sharing. That’s all

1 Like

Same for me, the sound was good and that’s the important bit!

Now gimme the recording so I can dwell on my mistakes! :rofl:

1 Like

You absolutely killed it tonight Kevin.

3 Likes

yeah you can choose OBS as the video source in zoom

2 Likes

Yeah bandwidth not an issue tonight… really 99% of the problems I think would be sorted with people starting their own zoom meeting, recording themselves and adjusting settings accordingly.

To be fair we really didn’t have many problems tonight… only mark and Jen really. Some of it is also about what setups you’ve got from an ai/mixer and tablet/laptop perspective.

2 Likes