Open Mic 11: Recording + After-Show Chat

Thanks David, Another case of the performer being their worst critic. I muffled more of those F chords than I would have liked, and earlier on Saturday I gave up on attempting to play to the vocal track I recorded. Need to work on automating my songs so I can sing live or at least play to a backing track.
But there is a reason they call it a Journey.

4 Likes

@Socio
Thanks James, I’m super stoked you went back for a repeat viewing.

3 Likes

@TheMadman_tobyjenner
The last time I sang for real was Open Mic 7 in April. True dat.
As to guitar …
I’m so dreadfully guilty of not allowing myself enough playing and learning time for me and the things I need to concentrate on to keep my skill levels up and advancing.
I’m mightily grateful to have guitar students thanks to Justin’s Approved Teacher scheme. I’m sitting holding a guitar for 5 to 10 hours a week but during lessons it’s not about me, its about the students, and I actually do very little hands on playing. I plan and play through songs and exercises to prepare for lessons of course. By contrast, when I was in my covers band I was learning so many songs to performance level all the time and playing upto 10 sometimes 20 hours a week.

3 Likes

I’m going to try to learn your way of playing the ABBA song. I liked how such a stripped down performance worked.
Even though I’m not much of an ABBA fan my family are!
And I thought your vocal was good.

3 Likes

Richard your Abba performance stole the show and I could hear my Mrs singing along so you did a stellar job with this one! :grinning:

5 Likes

Thank you David for the kind words, much appreciated. Actually watching the song after the show I was surprised by how it sounded, much better than how it felt while performing it.
The night as a whole was really enjoyable and look forward to the next one.

3 Likes

Thanks @Willsie01 and @adi_mrok

I’ll share the chord and lyric chart I made.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you James for the kind comments, very much appreciated.

2 Likes

Looking forward to using the chart, Richard.

2 Likes

The thing that stands out for me is the camaraderie here. There’s a mutual celebration, admiration, pride and joy as each of you share your learning and growth. Well done, every one of you.

8 Likes

Thank you Maggie for you kind words, you are always welcome to join us !
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks to all the people that enjoyed the MC work, I’ve got to say it’s quite fun and a privilege to have had the opportunity.

I can get not knowing Audioslave, the song was also done acoustic by Chris Cornell (who wrote it when he was in Audioslave), but Riptide? Well I wonder what they play on the radio in South Africa these days :rofl:. Seriously though, I knew many wouldn’t know them because taste in music is so varied, but hey, I figured better that than a relatively unknown Pearl Jam album track (not a B side!).

And thanks David, I do know my singing is getting better, still very far from where I’d want it but I’ll slowly work on it. I’m glad it came across OK, according to Adrian I didn’t just go and make up my own melody for Riptide so that was good :rofl:.

I think I might write up my review of everyone’s performance’s at some stage over the next couple of days because I enjoy reading the mini-reviews!

3 Likes

I’m available for hire, I work for beer or coffee depending on the time of day :rofl:. Just kidding, thanks Stefan.

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: It would have to be beer, coffee just sets my reflux off. :smiley:

2 Likes

Can’t help with that, JK, as I never listen to the radio. I listen to music in my car via my iPod which of course means it is not exposing me to new things. I sometimes listen to new things via YT when people mention artists or songs in the Community.

Driving into work last week I was listening to Robert Plant’s Band of Joy, Solomon Burke, and Mark Knopfler solo albums.

1 Like

@brianlarsen that was a very enjoyable performance. I enjoyed the vibe of the song. Very well played especially when practicing it for the first time right before the performance.

@TheMadman_tobyjenner The 1st song, you say its not your normal stuff, maybe you should do more of that stuff as it was fantastic. The 2nd song, great to see you finally doing some Who stuff and you had me singing along with you.

@Bytron08 Fantastic first JG community OM performance. I’m surprised its your first one. You played and sang well on both songs. Always enjoy watching and learning from your pick strumming technique.

@TheCluelessLuthier Not a song I’m familiar with and as soon as you tapped that guitar you transported me a beach side bar relaxing with a nice cold drink whilst enjoying the sun, scenery and music. Loved the vibe.

@John_in_Dot in your intro you say that your musical performances may not be getting better. I’d have to disagree with that as with each of your performance I can see and hear improvement. The song was instantly recognizable and doesn’t look the easiest of songs to play with all those barre chords transitions.

You can do it mate! Start of with a less complicated song. Take it from there.

@jkahn First song. Like David this was not a song I’m familiar with but that’s one of the things I love about this community is being introduced to songs that may have not been on my radar. The second song unlike David this one didn’t pass me by. Both songs you played and sung very well. I particularly enjoyed the little transitions from picked notes to strumming

1 Like

Thanks James, love the odd ballad type now and then but get a bigger a buzz performing the “heavier” stuff but that one is certainly a punch in the gut emotionally !

Glad you enjoyed The Who cover, finding fitting Daltrey’s lyrics and Townsends rhythm very hard to match. So they may have to be trickled down !

2 Likes

@TheMadman_tobyjenner
You could always give this a spin on your acoustic

That is on the list already my friend !

1 Like

It’s the other way around for me, unfortunately. :frowning_face: