Open Mic 14: Recording & After-Show Chat

:100: well-done to @elevatortrim, @DonnatheDead and @nzmetal for playing their first OM absolutely wonderfully, I hope I will get to see you all playing again in an OM soon!

4 Likes

@jkahn with that deep voice and clear diction, you should try some Nick Cave numbers

2 Likes

Thanks @glpguitar ! :smiley::+1:
PS apologies for not mentioning above, absolutely loved your & Katja’s performance, phenomenal! :star_struck: Wish we could have heard the second song too! Plus all the advice Katja provided in the chat afterwards was hugely valuable! Thanks so much :slight_smile:

:flushed::rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks so much for your kind words, Brian… I think? :thinking::joy:

2 Likes

@glpguitar Thanks for the feedback Luka, I’m glad my timing was tight :wink:

I missed doing a mini-review of your performance! I was using the video as a checklist. So here goes…

You and Katja were great, what an amazing combo of acoustic flair combined with soulful singing. I loved how you used the guitar for percussion, and the mixing of chords & lead lines. I might just steal that bass string slide with hitting a couple of notes along the way, loved that.

2 Likes

My mate at work now tells me he named my guitar “Cheddar” not Cheese…whoops.

But that Chedda Shredda metal band sounds pretty awesome. They (we?) could do dairy themed songs. No lactose intolerance here, baby.

2 Likes

If I summoned a mere 1% of cobain I’d be delighted. I may have also practiced that solo a little bit… OK, a lot… and still couldn’t nail it! :rofl: But if fit in place. Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

I appreciate those who provided their input of the performers - and so timely! I’m far less organized, but took another watch of the show today and wanted to provide the same.

@Notter
Mark, thanks again for being our supportive host and keeping things moving.

@davidp
A great rendition of this song. I’ve watched all your previous community open mic contributions , and this was my favourite. Good energy to start the event.

@liaty
Empathize with your comment about the looper pedal: ’ sometimes this works…'.
Loved your vocals, ‘quite the shouty one’ indeed but still melodic. Nicely put together.

@adi_mrok
Maybe I’ve just heard the original too much - but this is now my favourite version of this song.
The slight melody change on the chorus really stuck out to me in a good way. Adi always brings it.

@Rossco01
I’ve watched your past performances and have always enjoyed them.
You are a very good singer, and seem comfortable doing so (which is half the battle).
You also continue to have great song choices.

@jestersea
As I commented in your recent AVOYP of this song, your fingers seem very comfortable and your dynamics were great. We’ve already commiserated about how nerves are the hidden enemy to our carefully crafted songs :wink:

@twistor59
Phil, I’m speechless. I’ve loved your previous community open mics, and recall thinking that you and I clearly like jamming out to the same songs. Anytime I’ve tackled this song, I’ve given up. Seems straight forward enough to play on paper, but the delay throws my timing off every time.
You had this one dialed in, down to the muted string strums.

@glpguitar
Enjoyed your duet performance immensely.
My biggest takeaway is the excellent advice on performing that we had in the chat afterwords.
What’s this? you dropped an album on the AVOYP thread?! I’ll be checking that out.

@elevatortrim
Congratulations on an excellent debut! RHCP is ambitious, and you put together a good arrangement that kept us engaged.

@eric.lennon
Fantastic Eric. Didn’t know the song, but I do now. The riff is super catchy and looks fun to play. Always enjoy watching your performances.

8 Likes

…continuted…

@iainism
Love how you decided to challenge yourself. Good finger style and your voice was good - getting stronger as the song progressed and you relaxed into it.

@dobleA
Hah - I also thought you had some live accompaniment.
Well done! Excellent finger style.

@TheCluelessLuthier
I always look forward to the two of you. You play well together, and have great harmonies.
Seems like the perfect song choice.

@DonnatheDead
Loved this Donna. You have a lot of emotion in your voice which really engages the audience, and then you add those dynamics! more!

@Jenndye429
I didn’t get a chance to enjoy this one much at the time, getting ready to go on.
What a treat. I’m envious of people who have other musicians in there homes to play with.
In short - you guys rock.

@charlie_james
Not the best take of this I’ve done - but what are you going to do? Grin and move on to the next lick I suppose. My biggest fear on this one was missing my queue to change the loop, which was happening about 1/3 of the time in practice. That results in having to sit through 14 bars of me standing awkwardly waiting for it to come around again.
That didn’t happen - so I’m happy enough despite the numerous fumbled licks.

@skeletor83
Well, if anyone is going to present an artist to me with that much passion the least I can do is check them out. You did a good job covering a very difficult tune. Your voice conveys the passion as well so well done.

@nzmetal
As soon as I saw the wig I broke into a grin and knew we were in for a treat.
The solo looked like a challenging one to stay in time with but you did a great job.
Really enjoyed the show - also, you know how to down strum like a rock star :slight_smile:

@jkahn
Awesome song choice, and the tone(s) were just fantastic.
Thought the solo was spot on (despite your own comments).
Listening again, and noticed you have such a perfect balance between the various components.
Great sound all around.

@TheMadman_tobyjenner
A great take on a classic song, and it totally worked.
I was singing along, which is the perfect way to end the show!

9 Likes

Thanks Dale! We have a lot of fun. Glad you got to watch it after the fact! @Charlie_James

Thanks Dale!

You are too kind dear Sir, thank you for such a nice words!

Thanks Dale!

My biggest question now is do I break out the wig again or consider it job done and put it into retirement… methinks the latter! :laughing:

2 Likes

What? It was a wig? No way…

4 Likes

Thanks for commenting Dale. I’m glad everything went well including the use of the backing track.

I guess it depends on the song, but I say keep it! :sunglasses: You have inspired me to put more time into my electric solo practice!

2 Likes

A little late but, Awesome show. Thank you everyone :+1::+1::+1:

3 Likes

Thanks for the review Dale!

Don’t you dare do that Jeff, I’ll travel to NZ specifically to glue it to your head otherwise!! :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks Donna! That’s awesome to hear that! :smiley:

1 Like

:rofl: Alright then! It’s settled… It’ll be coming back out! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::sweat_smile:

2 Likes