Piano Instruction Like JustingGuitar

Hello! Iā€™m also learning piano. I have a spring key Casio that I will be upgrading to a weighted key digital piano. Still researching which one. Are you aware of any online site like Justinā€™s, paid or otherwise, that you would recommend for self-paced piano instruction? I see several out there but Iā€™d like some personal recommendations.

2 Likes

Hi ,i m on my phone so hard to look for me ā€¦but type in the right corner ā€¦ā€˜piano like Justinā€™ ā€¦and that will give you some more resultsā€¦
This has been asking more (of course because if there is i would like to know too ā€¦could not find it years ago so started guitar :smile:)

If this not help you and
If you find a same kind of site ā€¦please share,

Greetings

1 Like

Mickael

I have used a Yamaha Clavinova - it took me from no piano knowledge to Grade 5 in my thirties. They have excellent weighted keys, a beautiful sound and are a pleasure to play. You can plug in headphones to practice without others hearing. There are quite a few versions and prices vary. If I were buying another piano Iā€™d buy another Clavinova.

Brian

2 Likes

Yousician has piano lessons
its very similar to the musopia app with lessons

That piano has come up frequently in my searches for the right digital piano for me at this time. As I look for them Iā€™ll list the ones that are often recommended by people here and teachers on youtube and maybe it will help someone in the future.

I will certainly share! I used to use Drumeo, a site for drummers that is similar in approach but not quite as comprehensive as here. There is a piano version of it that Iā€™m checking out later today.

I will look into that, thanks!

I also used this for whileā€¦with the caveat that this was several years ago.

Back then, at least, their App was state of the artā€¦especially if you used a MIDI cable with your keyboard. It would give you very detailed feedback on wrong notes and timing. Also had a good looping function for practicing difficult sections.

Things that werenā€™t as good as Justinā€™s stuff:

-Instructional materials were nowhere near as good as Justinā€™s content

-Song selection for the basic paid tier was extremely limited. You had to pay extra to get any reasonable number of songs. This wasnā€™t cheap - about $30 a month IIRC. Also, a lot of them seemed to be crowd sourced, and the quality was low.

But, as I said, this was several years agoā€¦have things improved since then?

And then, thereā€™s also this :slight_smile:

first one is still true but the quality is not too bad either

for the songs its the same price as the musopia app now :slight_smile: around 15$ a month or an annual plan
and the quality is as good as musopia too

thats i think the closest to what we get here , thats what I mean ^^

1 Like

You could purchase one of the Alfredā€™s books and work your way through it with this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/@LetsPlayPianoMethods

Thanks! Iā€™m watching his intro video now.

https://www.pianote.com/ is what Iā€™m seeing that is recommended quite a bit. The main instructor/owner is so bubbly I can hardly handle it, but I would get used to that in time.

Ah Pianote is part of Musora. I used their Drumeo for ā€¦ drums.

http://www.youtube.com/@PianoFromScratch

I like this guy on YouTube because of his calm and non-click baity videos. There is no structured course yet but he might soon have some by 2025.

1 Like

Hi @WonderMonkey we have a piano in the house but Iā€™ve never played itā€¦that is, until about six weeks ago when I decided to give it a go. I searched something like ā€œblues piano for beginnersā€ on YouTube and found this.

After several highly satisfying rounds absorbing the instruction in that video (well, mostly the first half of that video), I decided to look at the associated websiteā€”which is Pianote.

I joined and Iā€™m really digging it. As you noted, the main instructor/owner is really bubbly, and even though effervescence ainā€™t my style, I think sheā€™s great.

I have been going through the ā€œMethodā€, which is the foundational core of the site (like Justinā€™s grades 1-7) while at the same time dipping into some other material like blues scales and boogie basics.

As of yesterday, Iā€™m through the first section of the Method, which culminates in two lessons on the I-V-VI-IV progression of the famous little ditty by Paul McCartney about when he finds himself in times of trouble etc.

Thereā€™s a backing track with drums, bass, and singing (turns out that the main instructor, whose name is Lisa, has a fantastic voice) where you get to sit in as the pianist. Itā€™s so much fun just getting the chords in time, and then mixing up the left & right hands. There are backing tracks with and without piano, and (moving away from this specific song right now), thereā€™s a lot of great stuff on the site.

I definitely cannot evaluate Pianote against other apps or websites, as itā€™s the only one Iā€™ve used. But as a JustinGuitar enthusiast & monthly donor I can say that Iā€™m pretty happy with Pianote.

2 Likes

@quare_dubitasti that is exactly what I joined up! I am also going through the method and have camped out on ā€œLet It Beā€ as well. I could move forward, but Iā€™m not going to until I feel I am doing ā€œGood Enoughā€. If you havenā€™t listened to her slowed-down version that comes with the resources, Iā€™m really enjoying it and am currently at that speed.

I used Drumeo, which is part of Musora, when I used to play drums.

Thatā€™s pretty much where Iā€™m atā€”on one of those backing tracks with instruments (but minus piano) where sheā€™s singing. Iā€™m kind of camped out too, playing around with different left/right hand options. So much fun.

Enjoy!

1 Like