Reply to an individual post

Hello everybody :wave:

Iā€™m a bit ashamed, but being a member here for just a few days, I have an issue already concerning the reply to an individual post.

Sorry, if this has been explained somewhere else already, but I couldnā€™t find it, and now silly me is asking for some help here.

My problem:
As a first step being a new member here in the forum, I posted a little ā€œhelloā€ and introduced myself - and soon got lots of very kind messages from other members. (What a great community, btw :grinning:)
So I wanted to reply to each of them and used the grey reply arrow below the individual post.
My ā€œThank youā€-message for the individual member then appeared twice: the first one hidden as a reply directly below the post that just opens when you click on it (as was intended), but also a similar post at the bottom of the thread, that now got very long and contains lots of messages that are not interesting for anybody else.
How can I fix this and answer to an individual post directly?

Every help and advice is very much appreciated - thanks in advance! :heart_hands:

Cheers
Gunhild :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Gunhild,
Press the big orange REPLY button and start tapping each time with an spacebar and then@ ā€¦like @Gunhild ā€¦ then names will appear that you can click on or type the first letter (S) of their forum nameā€¦
Hope this is what you mean,
Greetings,Rogier

3 Likes

@roger_holland
Thank you so much for your very fast response and your help. :slightly_smiling_face:
Yes, I guess thatā€™s what I had been looking for.

Iā€™m trying it right now and reply to you this way, and hope it works :pray:
Thanks again for your kindness :smiley:

1 Like

@roger_holland
Oh, again it appeared as a new post in the thread ā€¦ :thinking:

It Works :sweat_smile:
With the first reply he makes a new post ā€¦ you add the rest of the names ā€¦ if you want to change something in your own post use the pencil (edit) ā€¦ but that is not usual for reply

So ā€¦clear? keep asking if not
Enjoy it,greetings

I can now add multiple names (max 10) and use the edit now
@Gunhild or lets say hello to @brianlarsen ( hi Brian :grin: )so also others not in this thread you can adā€¦ oke i stop for now I see you are typing :smile:

@roger_holland
Well, itā€™s me again ā€¦ :wink:
Does it really work?
I still can see my post twice: one as a reply right under your post, and a second as a new post at the bottom of the page.
Or does the second post only appear in my account and others donā€™t see it twice?

Aaaa that`s what you mean ā€¦ me :upside_down_face:
that is if you press the gray reply and we donā€™t get to see that only if we press the button ā€˜Reply with arrow sign downā€™ (on the left)

I wonder if I am helping you or complicating things with way too many wordsā€¦I am technically limited :grimacing:

Who disturbs the slumber of the Nordic axeman?!?:rage: Oh, itā€™s only the low-land dwellerā€¦
Better be gentle with the blathering one as he appears to be trying to be helpful to a newbie :wink:

Herzlich wilkommen Gunhild, feel free to experiment. Itā€™s hard to break anything here. Believe me, Iā€™ve tried :rofl:

3 Likes

Oh no, you really are a great help! :hugs:

Iā€™ll try it one more time, OK?
Iā€™m using the grey reply-button now. Yes, the one on the left below your post. Although thereā€™s only an arrow pointing to the left, not pointing down.
And your name appears on top of the message Iā€™m typing (next to an arrow pointing to the right :sweat_smile:
So, my fingers are crossed ā€¦ :wink:

@brianlarsen
Oh, hello Brian :slightly_smiling_face:
Nice to meet you!

But what am I doing? A complete newbie and disturbing the peace of the entire community here :smiling_face:

I guess I have to face the truth: Iā€™m just too stupid to hang around here. I should have known ā€¦ :laughing:

1 Like

Under my post number 5 on the counting up timeline on the far rightā€¦there(post 5) you see for example 2 Reply standing under the postā€¦

and it looks like you are doing well so I think this has been resolved anywayā€¦.but feel free to ask ā€¦and certainly ask Brian that keeps him awake, but there are serious doubts whether he is to blame for the 3 day total eclipse of this comunity a while ago ā€¦ but investigation is still ongoingā€¦ :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

@roger_holland
This is encouraging. So Iā€™ll keep trying again :wink:

Huge thanks for your patience :hugs:

A total eclipse of this community? Well, glad that this definitely wasnā€™t my fault. Iā€™m here for just a few days :sweat_smile:
But maybe the next one? Who knows?! I guess, I have a talent for such things :wink:

Welcome Gunhild to the Community.

Let me try and clarify what is happening, as the ā€œissueā€ has been discussed on a number of occaisions.

If you reply to someone using the grey arrow reply ā€œbuttonā€ and not just a new general reply using the large orange arrow, it works in two different ways. This is just the way the forum software/code is built I believe.

Firstly if you are replying to the user in the following post, the reply appears as if it is just a general reply but the user will be notified of your reply.

If there has been a subsequent post(s) after the one you wish to reply to you will see the

indicating a reply has been sent to that user. They will also get a notification of the reply.

Finally, if you click on the grey righthand arrow, for example your reply to Brian, it will open up a copy of the original post you have replied to.

Its taken us a while to get our heads around this and I am hoping my explanation makes sufficient sense for you to understand what is going on.

Let me know if that makes sense. If it doesnā€™t Iā€™ll just and make something up. :rofl:

2 Likes

I remember that thread, it was a rather hilarious read :grinning:

See @Gunhild ā€¦ Now I am replying to Toby - using the grey arrow - and it looks as if I would have been making a general reply, because Tobyā€™s post is right above mine :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner
Hello Toby :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks a lot for your kind reply to my ā€œreply-issueā€ - and especially for the detailed explanation.
So many friendly and helpful people around here ā€¦ :hugs:
Iā€™ll try to send this answer the way youā€™ve explained and hope it works.
If not, it is entirely my fault, your explanation was perfect :+1:

Thanks again - and I dearly hope that Iā€™m the only stupid here - otherwise you wonā€™t have time to play guitar when you frequently have to answer such silly questions like mine here :wink:

See Gunhild, now I am replying to you, but it looks like a general reply. You should still see a notification that somebody replied to your post.

1 Like

Was that the big orange reply you used there ? Fun and games isnā€™t it. :rofl:

Now I am sending a general reply. You should not see any notification about this. So just one reply from Nicole (JokuMuu).

And I agree with the others, there simply are no stupid questions around here :sun_with_face:

1 Like

While we are on the subject of replying, how do you reply and highlight only the portion of the thread you want to specifically respond to?

I see this highlighted in grey. Is that a cut and paste job?
Thanks

Draw the cursor across the text you want to select and click on the ā€œquoteā€ that comes up.
:sunglasses: