Second Time Around - hello from Larry

I bought a Carvin electric guitar in about 1959 through mail order. Yep! I’m 80 years old. I learned a few basic chords. While in college 1960-64, I played in a 4-piece dance band; 3 guitars and drums. However, I played a bass guitar. My Carvin went to our rhythm guitar player. We played for special events like Homecoming, Valentines Day, proms, etc. even played for one wedding dance. We actually played professionally for a short time, filling in at the invitation of a singer who had fired his band.
When we graduated in 1964 we all went our separate ways. I sold my bass guitar and haven’t touched a guitar since. The four of us stay in touch and my Carvin was returned to me in 2022.
My brother-in-law just recently told me that he had started Justin’s lessons so I figured “why not”.
I have no intention of doing much more than entertaining myself, but maybe I can actually learn the basics of playing guitar, something I didn’t get around to doing 60-65 years ago.

24 Likes

Welcome to the community, Larry!
Glad for you that the guitar you bought more than 60 years ago found its way back to you and inspires you to get your hands on it again! :slight_smile:
Good luck with learning and - most important - lots of fun with it. All the best for your re-entered guitar journey.

Cheers
Lisa

2 Likes

Hey welcome! I guess no time like the present to restart playing! That Carvin is probably some kind of vintage thing worth a fortune now haha.

1 Like

Hey Larry, that’s an awesome story. Welcome to the community. You rock!

1 Like

What a great story! Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Welcome Larry, enjoyed your story. Hope I’m still playing at 80.

1 Like

Larry, great story!! Good luck with your journey! You are an inspiration.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Larry

1 Like

Good for you Larry! Do what you enjoy and even if playing is for your entertainment only, then have fun doing it. I am pretty much doing the same.

1 Like

Welcome, Larry!

1 Like

Hey! That guy is my BIL. Glad you are finding it fun, Larry. I am enjoying the app, the website, and the music theory course. Also the note trainer app. It’s like a game now to find the notes faster.

Ear training is making me batty though. I’m learning why my dad could not sing and was kicked out of the choir. Lol

2 Likes

What a story! Glad, that your first guitar found the way back to you. Welcome!

1 Like

Hello Larry and welcome. :slight_smile:

Enjoy your guitar adventure and I hope it brings you much enjoyment.

1 Like

Hello Larry and Daniel, what a great story :smiley:. And Daniel, super that you’ve introduced Larry to JG :+1:. Have fun with your six-string-friends :hugs:.

2 Likes

Welcome Larry, what a great story and inspiration, does that mean like in the Blues Brothers "Were getting the band back together? :rofl: :love_you_gesture: :+1:

3 Likes

Hi Larry and Welcome to our community.

There isn’t such a thing as being too young or too to pick up an instrument for sure.

1 Like

Hello Larry,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot and long time of fun here :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Hi Larry, welcome. Those years of playing the bass live should facilitate some aspects of playing the guitar once the basics start getting covered.

1 Like

Welcome Larry. Hope you stick with it this time

1 Like

Welcome Larry,
And enjoy the journey
Grtz

1 Like