Son of a Preacher Man by Dusty Springfield Lesson

Learn to play Son of a Preacher Man by Dusty Springfield on JustinGuitar!

View the full lesson at Son of a Preacher Man by Dusty Springfield | JustinGuitar

Hi folks,

It is a bit funny that I am the first to respond to this topic. I was looking at this song as it was requested by a singer I know.

The song is really a classic, and as always, Justin’s video is of super high quality. The suggested set strumming pattern is actually in 16th notes, which if I remember is not beginner territory. And it is a four chord song, involving a key change. So its classification as a ‘Grade 1’ Song did honestly surprise me.

Be that as it may, what I did find however that there are some inconsistencies between the video and the written material provided. Notably, there is an error in the Tab descibing the Intro, with the slides going from fret 11 to fret 12 on strings 2 and 4, as played in the video, in the tab it is suggested that the slide on string 4 goes to fret 13. Likewise the slide down goes from fret 11 on string 4 and fret 10 on string 2 down to fret 9 for both. Justin plays it sliding from fret 10 from both.

Also when looking at the accompanying Tab, there is another, admittedly small, inconsistency with the video lesson. What is called Verse 3 in the Tab Justin refers to as the Bridge in the Video, which is correct, because it does not follow the chord sequence of the verse, but actually sets up for the key change from E major to A major in Chorus 3.

So what I am saying here is that unfortunately the TAB and the Leadsheet for this song deviate from the video lesson, which is a pity.