Spark Go just delivered let me know if you have questions

I just took delivery of Positive Grid’s newest practice amp the Spark Go. I’m a fan of their products; I have the big one (ac only 40w), the Mini (battery only 5w) and now this battery only 1 watt guy. I spent a little time with it yesterday making a preset tone for my acoustic. Going on the road for a few days with it and my electric and plan on a little video to maybe answer some “how does it sound?” questions. So if you have any other ones let me know…Rod

10 Likes

Looks like A great travel companion, keep us posted. I’m planning a trip soon. Thanks for sharing

2 Likes

One successful gig at a nursing home and already starting to tour :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I’ll volunteer to be your roadie, as even I should be able to manage the weight of your sound system :wink:
Seriously, well done on the gig and hope you enjoy your new spark1

7 Likes

Just a visit Family trip but practicing for the retirement (get it right :grinning: Brian) home date next week…. Rod

2 Likes

Technology never ceases to amaze. Sure it will sound appropriately good keeping fit-for-purpose in mind. Enjoy the trip, entertain the family, and I’m looking forward to AVOYPs

2 Likes

This or NUX Mighty Plug Pro? Now I’m [even more] confused!

1 Like

I think it depends if you want a small Bluetooth speaker or not.

I have experience of the Spark 40, and the capabilities on the Go are similar. I have also just got the Nux MP-3.

I would say the MP-3 is more versatile and better sounding. It’s also better suited to my needs.

But it is a unit designed for headphone use. There is no speaker.

That’s exactly what I wanted and for me, it’s better that it’s small and physically out of the way. For me, having a speaker would get in the way more than it would be useful (I already have a portable amp).

But that’s just me. If you think you would like something with a speaker, then thie Spark Go may be better for you.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

I don’t need BT speakers in my life (I have too many, never use), and I have Yamaha THR10II. I’m just wondering if BiasFX2-themed controls are cool for having on your lap, or actual sound quality is a better trade off. I noticed that all Positive Grid hardware products are very well made, but they underdeliver [on expectations] somehow, reviews are excited about the IDEA of the thing, but are quite lukewarm on actual implementation of everything they do.

I have a bitter-sweet mix for BiasFX2, as it has a lot, but works kind of 4-/5 most of the time.

1 Like

I think Positive Grid have sold a lot of Sparks to people thinking this. I suspect most of those people were disappointed.

If you think the Spark will give you all of the capabilities and facilities of BiasFX in a hardware unit, think again. It doesn’t!

The capabilities of the Spark amps are quite restricted and a subset of what you can do with BiasFX.

Which is why I said the MP-3 is more versatile, because there’s more ability to tweak the tone on the MP-3 and, personally, I think the base amp models on the MP-3 are better.

Having said that, the Positive Grid amps are decent and good value for money, and they are coming out with some innovative form factors, so there’s definitely a place for them.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ve ordered MP-3 and was on the fence with Fender Micro and Spark Go. I will just proceed with NUX :smiley:

2 Likes

Ok, I’m not a rep for Spark. I do like their products but I also am not well versed in different amps so not one to recommend this over that mostly because I have no experience with “that”. I do have experience with now all 3 Spark amps. Each have their place this one I would describe as a personal practice amp. Could you play your latest riff, song, idea to your family and/or friends in a living room and it sound decent? Absolutely. Regardless of how you use it it’s impressive for it’s size and power I think. But you be the judge. This is not intended to show you all the features and not even show you all it’s possible sounds. It’s merely a quick way to let you hear it in less than ideal conditions. Kind of like how you would use it I would think. By the way the “neck bridge” I said in the video was intended to mean neck pickup. So you can really tell I’m an amateur just trying to give a little info in a hastily done video :grimacing:. Glad to answer any questions I can but all the exhaustive details are on the Positive Grid website or a handful of You Tube reviews that are out there…Rod

7 Likes

Thanks for that, Rod! As you say, that looks like a great option for a personal, portable practice amp. I’m intrigued by the Spotify - and as I understand it, Apple Music - integration. My brother-in-law has a Spark 40 and loves to play along with songs using that feature. I understand the app will even identify chords so you can play along. I know everyone has their preferences; I also suspect that sometimes a piece of equipment can be well suited to one part of the journey, and something else will become desirable later on. Like you, I don’t have experience with other equipment (outside of the little Yamaha amp I’ve been using). I’m tempted!

1 Like

Hi Rod,
Thank you very much for this extensive show, really super appreciated … I myself want an easily portable amplifier a little later. And I now know that this one is not for me because the sound is much too tinny (bad) for me.
But I can also imagine that many can use these to better practice with some sound than completely unamplified.
Greetings ,Rogier

1 Like

Appreciate seeing this Rod, I’ve been tempted by the Go since they came out, like a nice portable compliment to my THR!!
Nice extensive demo there, thankyou!

PS - Rocking the WIlliams F1 shirt, top man!

1 Like

This was a peek into some rock-legend’s living room, thanks

2 Likes

Mother in law’s house. :grinning: Now the Go did make it more convenient to bring the electric vs my travel acoustic which is a parlor size…. Rod

1 Like

Just to point out, you can play along with Spotify or Apple Music (or Bandcamp, or Deezer, or Tidal, or YouTube/YouTube Music, etc.) on the Yamaha THR or any other Bluetooth streaming enabled amp.

You won’t get the play along chords, of course (unless you are using one of the many YouTube backing tracks that has these).

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

Thank you for that share Rod, it gives a good show of what the little amp is like. I thought for the size it sounded great and it looks a lot more portable than my Katana.

1 Like

Stefan, you might find the Spark Mini surprising

2 Likes

Thanks! I have the original THR10, no Bluetooth. But I see I can easily plug a Bluetooth adapter into the aux port. :grinning:

2 Likes