Strumming Machine - suggestions, bug reports, user experience feedback etc

Hi Michael,
X in tabs usually denotes a percussive hit. If it was just a palm mute you wouldn’t hear anything.

Probably a typo, but it already has 8th note strumming. Think your question is about 16th strumming?

I think you’re right, the metronome still has a place, but it’s more fun playing to the strumming machine!:guitar:

1 Like

Great tool.

Doesn’t seem to work on iPhone - Google Chrome or Safari though. Is that expected?

Cheers, Peter.

1 Like

David @BurnsRhythm

Thanks for the chance to clarify what I meant, should have said “all down 8th note strumming” There does not seem to be a way of changing the direction of the ‘and’ arrow unless I have missed something.

On the palm mute or hit, I have asked before and there does not seem to be a standard convention that everyone use.
In the Strumming course grade 2 Justin shows this pattern for palm mute

And this for percussive hit

It is just the sort of difference that confuses beginners like me, perhaps the mods @Richard_close2u might take a look at this.

Michael

PS All my comment are intended to help develop things, not as criticism.

Peter @RollingJ
It works on my iPhone when I use the Google app.
I don’t know if this is different to Chrome, as I don’t have that app.
I am sure there is plenty in the community who could say if they are different apps.
Michael

Ah right! I see what you mean Michael.
No, there doesn’t seem to be a way to change the direction of the arrows. Good suggestion.

I’m not on the strumming course so I haven’t seen the x’s and H’s.
I would say that x on the strumming machine is a hit because you can hear it. You wouldn’t hear a palm mute on its own.

@RollingJ
It works on my iPhone with Safari.

1 Like

Bug: Voice count drifts out of time when strumming sound also enabled

Replication

1. Load OF strum from Library
  2. Enable Strumming Sound and Voice Count
  3. Press Play
  4. Listen for 30 seconds or 1 minute

Things will sound good for a while, then get a bit strange. I think it’s the voice count that is getting out of synch, but not 100% sure.

Platform: Safari, iPad Pro 1st gen, iPadOS 16.5

Suggestion: Add “Down/Up” and “Miss” to Voice Count

I think a lot of people find that saying Down / Up is more useful than numeric counts when learning a strumming pattern - I know I do.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I’m suggesting the option should be added…counting definitely has value too.

Also, several community members have reported that saying “Miss” when learning Old Faithful has really helped them.

1 Like

Tom @Tbushell
Interesting what you say about down/up as opposed to counting. I actually have used the count to myself but now that Justin does it it perhaps I can concentrate on other parts.
In reality perhaps having the option to choose either would be beneficial.
Michael

When I suggested this, I was referring to all down palm muted strumming, or “chugging”.

And I guess that chords can either be fretted - have pitch - or hit - no pitch - just a scratch of muted strings.

Must admit, I hadn’t thought of all the implications here. This will probably require some thought, and maybe some prototyping to get it right.

I think you are referring to a “palm mute” as a pure mute - with no strumming - to mute strings that are already ringing from a previous strum.

That’s definitely a real thing, but I’m not sure if it makes sense for a Strumming Machine. (I could be wrong, of course :slight_smile: )

Yes, that’s what I meant. Counting definitely has value too…and maybe it’s just a matter of personal preference.

1 Like

Will future updates include the ability to strum along a progression in various keys.

Hi Tom!
Yes, when I say you won’t hear anything I’m referring to a full mute with no strum, which I thought was what @MAT1953 meant. On reading it again, he may have meant a muted strum - which you would hear.
As you say, there are all levels of muted strum from a light mute through to a full percussive hit. I hear the x in the strumming machine as a percussive hit but you could practice any way you like with it.

Same with all downs. Even though the machine plays the off beats as up strums, you could play all downs over it with or without muting.

2 Likes

This is brilliant thanks! I loved that the strumming pattern kept going so I could keep trying to learn a pattern - the only other strumming pattern example stop after a brief introduction. So thanks from a beginner who struggles with any form of strumming!

My only suggestion is that you INCLUDE a SESSION TIMER. This would help with a practice routine — playing non-stop is great but also good to set my self a target for the number of minutes I play.
I have started the " Strumming Foundations course but found it hard to progress as I needed so much practice - this tool is -(I hope) just what I need.

1 Like

This looks to be a great tool, especially since I’m working through the strumming SOS course, however I’m not getting any sound no matter what settings I select? Has anyone else had this issue? Probably user error but I’ve tried everything I can think of. Anyone have any suggestions? I’m on an iPhone

Fantastic tool, much better than trying to play along with a metronome, sound and visuals superb, and will be even better when the various other suggestions are implemented. Well done all, thank you so much to Justin and the team!

There isn’t an ability to delete a saved strumming pattern, which would be lovely to have.

I’ve noticed a peculiar bug where if I have a browser tab that restores itself on page load, it will reset the strumming pattern as indicated by the URL to 00-00-00-00 from lets say… 10-12-02-10. It may be related to the website trying to load a saved pre-set for me which is bugged, more about that below.

I had previously saved the ‘Old Faithful’ pattern to my account however it has glitched and wiped any pre-configured down/up strokes, it is a completely empty pattern that I’m unable to delete.

The settings being saved, whether that’s through a cookie or tied to your account in some way or the pattern itself would be great. I have to specify the BPM etc each time I use it.

Volume control would be something that is appreciated as well, I use the strumming machine in a different browser as it has a lower volume level than my day-to-day browser due to how loud the strumming machine (and on-site metronome) can be at 100% volume.

Overall it’s a great feature and brilliant work!

1 Like

Strumming machine is a great concept. But I get no sound at all. I’m trying to use it on an iPad running IOS 16.5

Terry @Terry10
Not sure what exactly to suggest as I use iPad running 16.5, and it works fine, is there some sound setting turned off.
By the way welcome to the community.
Michael :+1:

Terry, my idea is similar to Michael’s. Perhaps you accidentally forgot to turn e.g. the strumming sound back on after experimenting with other settings. That has happened to me before.

1 Like

Here’s a question about the strumming machine @larynejg

Is there a way I can change the direction of the strums on the beats?

Is there anyway I can make the ‘and’ strums in the same direction as the previous strum? Or doesn’t it actually matter? E.g. I’m looking at a song with a down down up down down down up down strum pattern and it’s hard to get the sound of it when the strums are all alternating. cheers

Could be I’m missing something. Be interested to know