Tequila Sunrise - The Eagles

Hi Gordon, I thporoughly enjoyed that. Lovely song, wonderful groove, great singing. Hmm yes the sound balance between vox and the other stuff that you mention.

I guess the others have you covered there, but by putting repositioning the recording device might help. The Martin you have does provide a lot of volume, especially with strumming numbers. Remember dreadnoughts were invented by Martin to compete with Banjo’s as regards volume, way back when, and parlour guitars were there for the singers and selfaccompaniment strumming. Perhaps your new travel companion is a little less on the volume, and would improve on the mix without requiring additional gear.

1 Like

Thanks for the listen Silvia, glad you enjoyed the song. Yes Justin recently put out a lesson on that strum technique.

Haha yes JK. We all have the songs from our formative years. I try to listen to newer stuff as well but it’s easier to learn to play songs you’ve heard hundreds of times. Thanks for the listen and support.

Thanks Stephen, I appreciate the listen and support. As for the vocal/guitar mix levels, it’s all been said up above. :smiley:

Hi Tjeerd. Yes the Martin has plenty volume but it’s the Trio+ backing track that causes the problem. When I sing and play with just the guitar I can get a good balance. Anyway it’s all good fun messing around and trying to achieve a better result with no equipment. Thanks for taking time to listen and comment. Always appreciated.

2 Likes

Hi Gordon, how is that? Sorry to over elaborate a point. Not quite sure how you have the TRIO hooked up, as you are only recording with the iPhone, I presume you are playing into an Amp of sorts.

I also have a TRIO, and I can balance the backing track and the guitar and the voice part on the amp, or in the audio interface. If I use the iPhone to record video and audio, I would use the amp (some 3 meters behind me) and use a microphone for the vocals. If I would use the Audio Interface, I would still use the microphone for the vocals, but then straight into a DAW. If I would not have either, I would play the backing tape through a stereo set, at the appropriate volume, and then rely on the guitar and voice combo to be balanced.

1 Like

Thanks for your interest Tjeerd. My system is the most basic.
Recording video and audio with iPhone.
Vocal volume control - sing more loudly or more quietly into phone.
Guitar volume control - strum more loudly or more quietly into phone.
Trio volume control - turn amp volume up or down.

I think because phones are designed to pick up sounds close to them the phone doesn’t pick up the Trio unless I turn it up pretty loud and then it overpowers the vocal.
The other limiting factor is phone position. Once you’ve framed head, shoulders and guitar that effectively has determined the phone mic position.

All good fun. :smiley:

Hi Gordon,

perhaps it will work better, when you put the iPhone higher, e.g. further away from the sound hole of the Martin, using a small tripod, or even better to place the iphone some 3 meters away from yourself and the guitar, and the speakerbox - you’ll have to take the large room for that - you can still zoom in with the phone, so picture qualty will be there. Its how I record myself, as its mostly how an audience would experience me.

There are literally infinite possibilities to explore as regards placement and volume levels.

That said, 12 years ago I bought something which is a small mike for the iphone, its called the Mikey, and its snaps on directly onto the iphone. Its 3 by 2 inches large, and just has the lightning connector. It definitely improved on the sound quallity, and it allows for three recording sound sensitivity levels. I still use it for quick and easy recording.

Don’t feel please that I am overstressing a point. Its just, like many others here, I think you produce some excellent vocals, very expressive, and we would just like to hear them better!

1 Like

Another enjoyable listen. Similar to what @ChasetheDream was saying, I too enjoyed watching your strumming and your embellishments and being able to focus on them. But of course, your vocals are great too! And another fave from our younger years! I love the song and I love the Eagles.

1 Like

Havent posted on here before but i.m trying this at present and just wanted to say well done!@

1 Like

Thanks Pam, I’m glad you enjoyed my version of the song. Yes it’s up to us to keep the oldies but goodies alive!
Speaking of which it must be about time for a new AVoYP from you. Lots more in the Eagles catalogue. :grinning:

@Peter1
Thanks for the listen Peter. Lots of good stuff on AVoYP. Don’t be shy about posting. We all just want encouragement and support.

I’m digging it, Gordon. Love the strumming in this, and of course the iconic vox. You just have a natural vibe going on.

1 Like

So pleased you dug it Dave. Thanks for the listen and support. Always appreciated.