The Madman’s Diaries - The Blues Chapters - Chapter Four (The calm before the storm) - Added Tracks : Mon 17062024 "Steady Thumb Blues" . Tues 18062024 - “Walking Easy Blues” Wed 19062024 "BLIM Unit 0 Impro Recording"

Good stuff sir!

1 Like

DING DING ROUND 3 - TUEDAY 18th JUNE 2024

Another day another dollar recording.

So its twenty take Tuesday and I managed to get another cranked out today. This is another from Justin’s Solo Blues Course called Walking Easy Blues and in my case its

The Tripin Stumblin 'arder Than It Looks Blues.

Used the Fender T-Bucket for this one but left the Reaper FX set up the same as above. Its a bit untidy in places and certainly tripped here and there and missed the odd note :scream:
But after a number of unsuccessful recording days earlier in the year, its finally captured, warts and all.

I will try and get my final Acoustic Blues piece recorded tomorrow but for now its back to the BLIM preparations tasks and tinker with another improv.

Hopefully all these tracks won’t get buried but hey ho such is life.

Madman out, for now.

:sunglasses:

9 Likes

Hi Toby,
No idea why I missed this because I worked from bottom to top of the list of topics and everything was marked as seen and I don’t often miss such a video in the thread??

Well, I think that’s a wonderful blues :sunglasses: :clap: and it reminds me that when I bought this series I ended up with this one…half way through… :speak_no_evil:

That second one is also well played :sunglasses: , but I don’t like it that much, that’s not your fault, because when Justin plays it I find the same :sweat_smile:, I sometimes play it myself for technical reasons, but never when the wife is at home because she thinks also it is constant bottom strings is way too much :grin:

Greetings You are on the rolllllllll :clap: :sunglasses:

1 Like

What a treat… another ‘arder’ than than the madman make it look blues. Sounded really good to me Toby, the only thing that was missing was the cowboy hat, for some reason I get a country vibe.

you made it your own :wink:

I’ve been thinking recently whether it’s time for the rules to be relaxed as the tsunami of AVoYPs has passed. Worth including a link to your topic in the challenge topic for Justin’s solo blues.

1 Like

Ooo ! Had not realised there was one. Yeah maybe but its more a mid year review thing.
Thanks for the comment. Like Roger, not my favourite so your Country feeling may be a cause of that. But its another to learn for establishing certain skill sets, so worth doing.
Maybe another Hamburger to more if I can solve one chord landing that tripping me up.
Thx for listening.

1 Like

Here it is

1 Like

Roger you are spot on I have missed so many recordings by folk since the one per month limit came in so good that you came back to find this one. Glad you liked the Steady Thumb, its similar to the David Hamburger pieces I’ve been doing. The 2nd ? As I said to James I am a bit like you but as you say its good for technical development, with those skills being transferable. So ay the end of the day worth investing some time in. Again thanks for listening. :+1:

1 Like

We all have enough of those days. Better that than letting it get to 712 take Wednesday though …

So you and @roger_holland aren’t too fond of the Walking Easy Blues, as a piece, eh? I actually find it to be a super fun one to play! And definitely easier than STB with that one particularly fiddly bit. Although there are a couple of songs out there with that walking bass kind of thing that I always think ‘too much’. I can’t think of one of them right now unfortunately. Anyway, my ‘take’ would be that you’re doing fine with this one, it just sounds to me like you’re ready to be done with it so you’ll just play it to get it over with. And nothing wrong with that IMHO!!

Looking forward to the next one, acoustic or electric. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi Mari, @Mari63
I’m glad you called me :sunglasses: because I now absolutely have to make a nuance after trying it again a few times this afternoon, because (phew, that took some time to start up again) I remembered the video a bit, which I haven’t seen for years. and I remembered Justin’s words about a Stevie Ray Vaughan style by smothering the bottom 2 strings every time ( I will need to try that with a lot of distortion later :grin:), this is still quite difficult for me now, but I can certainly hear the beauty of it now … I see new opportunities for me with this number …
Greetings ,

And ps: Toby
What a ridiculously long title for this topic :rofl: :joy: :rofl: ,but no one overlooks it now :joy: :rofl: ouch my back :joy:

2 Likes

@TheMadman_tobyjenner @roger_holland @Mari63 look what a guy named Stevie did with the Walking Easy Blue. We all have to start some where, it’s where you take it from here that counts.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s what was in my head and I was referring to :smile:

And that solo is easy…that rhythm guitar kills me :roll_eyes:

Greetings

1 Like

Yes that guy named Stevie could sure play!!!

1 Like

Closest I will ever come to SRV is my wearing my Van Zant hat !! :rofl:

3 Likes

Another session in the Studio this evening Yoda :wink:

2 Likes

Teasing us with a still, I just plugged in my headphones!

2 Likes

Haha, I need to drop this into the BLIM Record Yourself thread in the morning first, before Justin checks in. My weekend post got buried under a shed load of posts and he never back tracked to those two recordings. Ironic as 60% of those post were my comments on other Blimmer’s recordings. So you’ll get to see it twice Paul, as I will drop it in here, as part of my Blues Saga(Chapters) and try and get another acoustic session done in the morning.

The upside is I am finally getting over my severe RBS stumbles, so all is good at MMS at the moment.

1 Like

Hey Toby, I much enjoyed all the 4 recordings…those two voicings pieces look anything but easy! I don’t understand much about Blues but I can well say you seem to be more than ready to immerse with Justin and all this cheerful crew into the Blue seas of Blues :ocean::sailboat::diving_mask::ocean: Have fun! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Haha I was thinking that madman is trying to break the record of number of AVoYPs posted in 24 hours

Edit:

And before Rogier checks in

1 Like

Well played, Toby!
I watched all the videos.
Acoustic ones are especially good :clap:
I would have to spend a month learning fingerstyle :flushed:
Leo

1 Like

OK folks its time to bring this Chapter to a close with one last post.

It is not the Acoustic Blues I said I would post, as I had a mare of a morning with it. Could not get a clean run and ended up getting tense and very frustrated :angry: So I decided that, having been on a bit of a roll, it was time to quit while I was ahead. I’ll keep working on it and I plan to learn the next one from the Hamburger Essentials, so watch this space.

So, as always planned, I’m finishing off with the “this is where I am now” recording, that Justin asked all the BLIM course members to do. So this has been a trimmed & cut from the post in the suburbs. For some reason I was pretty tense when playing this, compared to the other two “electric” blues I shared.

Got this down after half a dozen takes. the lasts having less errors and one missed lick, clock the face. Felt a bit stiff compared with the two recorded earlier but it was good enough to say this is where I am right now.

As per AVOYP feedback welcome. RBS & nerves played a part, all felt a little wooden.

The next Blues Chapter will be in a couple months, as there will be some recording requirements throughout the course. So I will happily share with the folks here in the big city.

PMT Live calls at the top of the hour, so I’ll respond to folks who’ve replied recently later.

Take care folks.

TTFN

8 Likes