Three Little Birds (Fingerstyle + First Vocals)

Ooooooh what velvety voice you have Mark and how well you use it. The combined effect of your luscious voice and your guitar tones is hypnotic. Your fingerstyle gives us a purity of sound and your voice adds a level of mystery and complexity. Absolutely delicious.

You have every reason to be pleased. :mage:

1 Like

Well done Mark that was great! A very different interpretation of the song. I enjoyed that.

1 Like

It feels really corny to keep on saying thank you but honestly I’m really pleased, and that’s a huge understatement, with all of your feeeback and comments, music is truly the universal way to bring people together.

@batwoman - Maggie all I can say is wow, I guess I’d better carry on then :wink:

2 Likes

Great job Mark, fingerstyle is really a weakness for me good on you to stay with it as your personal goal to finish module 11. Happy Birthday was my finger style goal to finish module 11 on March 5 and yes module 12 is a GAS!. Beautiful instrument and I have that Porsche GT3 Lego on my shelf too!….Rod

Yes velvet voice, I want more :yum:

1 Like

Very nice, sounded great and video quality was top notch. Can I ask what camera & video editing software you used?

Hi JK, thanks!
Sure thing, I’m using a Logitech C922 webcam and actually their own software “Logitech Capture” to record with, it reads the Scarlett as an input but without splitting the channels (ie combines the instrument and mic as a single input). Quite a powerful bit of software with embedded second screens possible but I’ve not really delved that deep into it.

I haven’t done any proper post-editing, the Logi Capture software doesn’t do that, it’s geared to recording / streaming. I’ve got OBS downloaded to try out at some point but haven’t really touched it yet.
Hope that helps! - Mark.

Hey Rod,
Yeah the mid-life lego resurgence is strong here :joy:

I just about got Happy Birthday sorted too but as fun as that was you can’t beat playing a real song! Thanks for the guitar comment, I’ve had it a week after upgrading from my “beginner” instrument, the difference in quality and playability is staggering, Mr PR Smith seems to know what he’s doing :wink:

I’ve seen your DM, I’ll come back to you and share what I can. Have a terrific day - Mark.

1 Like

Oh wow - I have the exact same webcam and only use it for work Zoom meetings, had no idea it was this good. I’ll have to try that!

Mark, it sounds like OBS would do similar to ‘Logitech Capture’ with perhaps more Features that can be used to create the recording eg you can setup to receive the two channels of the Scarlett separately and do some additional processing on those during recording, you can record with multiple cameras.

In the Community people are using a variety of video editing tools. I use Corel Ultimate Studio, some use Vegas Pro, others using Adobe tools. When I first started I used MS Movie Maker, which served me fine when all I wanted to do was some basic editing and adding of a title and credit screens. Can’t talk about what people may be using on Apple devices.

Thanks @DavidP , will need to spend some time with it and play around, I picked up on it from looking around some of the community chats. As always though when you open up these pieces of software you stare at it blankly for a while going uuuuuuurrrrmmmm…where do I start!!

If anyone has any suggestions on good tutorials or YouTube walkthroughs that’d be awesome, any editing I’ve done so far has just been using default MS photos app which is shockingly basic!!

Thanks for the input!

Mark, there are some Topics discussing OBS in this Community. Maybe those are what you were referring to vs just mentions of OBS. If the latter then have a look in #gear-tools-talk:hardware-software-recroding and #community-open-mic-events:tech-talk-audio-video-help-setup-help-for-oms

1 Like

@jkahn Definitely give it a go, it’s a good piece of kit. It’ll do 30fps at 1080p or 60fps at 720p. My recordings have been using 1080p, notwithstanding any messing around with YouTube conversion.

1 Like

Nicely done @Notter
Taking simple songs and doing something different, something other with them is great for developing your playing. One potential area to think on with this version is that you basically have two parts - verse / chorus over and over. Think about what you can do to mark the changes … a more prominent thumbed bass pattern perhaps, a slight alteration to the order of the fingers and the picking pattern, occasionally adding a short section of strumming to highlight the transition then back to finger picking again?
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @Richard_close2u great suggestions, I’ll certainly continue to explore with this, I like the idea of mixing in a short strumming section, guess we’ll be uploading a new version again in time! :slight_smile:

Ooooooo, is that a new guitar there Mark? :wink:

That was really good and boy that guitar looks and sounds schweeeet. Nice vocals, so congrats on your first sing along posting.

Thanks Stefan, for the song comments glad you enjoyed it!

Yes, rumbled on the new guitar, definitely a step up from the Eastcoast and alot nicer to play. More on the new one here NGWeek…

Have a good one!!

Wow, Mark- i’m blown away.
That’s my favourite take on the ‘boidies’ tune so far :smiley:
Eyes closed and rocking back and forth to keep the beat gave the impression you were fully immersed in the music (doesn’t matter if it was just concentration!). Similarities with Mr. @tRONd’s debut.
Oh yeah, congrats on your lovely PRS. Looks like you bought a keeper there :wink:

Wow right back at you Brian, thank you so much!!
Yeah the guitar’s getting more comfortable by the day / play, love it!!

1 Like

Absolutely sweet man, that’s the best Ive heard you! :ok_hand:

1 Like