Travel guitar time again. But should I have followed Scotland to Germany?

Can it really be a year since I was posting about holidays and travel guitars? (Have guitar, will travel, but without Justinā€™s lessons. Edit : Now in France! :fr: Well Iā€™m here in Munich with my caravan and PRS parlour guitar. (loving wife too of course!) Terrific atmosphere for the past few days, but now itā€™s all starting to crumble. Half time and itā€™s all about damage limitation. What an fā€™n mess!

1 Like

Sorry to see whatā€™s happening. Looks great though over there.

2 Likes

Weā€™ve got to beat Hungary or Switzerland now.
Germany excellent, Scotland poor. Tournament football. Letā€™s dust ourselves down and go again.

How are Wales doing :wink:

1 Like

Scotland WON - Germany 5

Brian

2 Likes

Oh dear

1 Like

Uh Scotland your only supposed to be battered mars bar.

1 goal, 0 shots, I guess it could have gone betterā€¦

1 Like

Tough group, but the next games should be better for Scotland. They canā€™t be worse. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Gordon! I thought a lot about you (you are the only Scotsman i know :joy:) during the last days and I already wanted to write a post, but daily life got in the way. On top, I didnā€™t know, if you are interested in soccer, but then, I read in your post you made the way to Munich for the opening event. Did you see the game live in the stadium?
My hometown, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, 100 km south of Munich, is host town for the Scotish National Team during the European Championships 2024. My hometown was preparing for the Scots for months, and a week ago, they finally arrived here and have been welcomed with a biiiig Tschingdarassa Bum.
Theyā€™re doing their daily training sessions in our humble stadium, which was newly renovated for the team coming to Germany.
It is big deal for our small town and I only can say, the Scots are the team of our hearts :heart: and we wish a successful competition, even when the beginning was just devasting. Although it was the German Team who won, Iā€™d prefered a less devasting result!
I hope you recovered well from yesterdayā€™s defeat!
Maybe this is putting back a little smile on your face :blush::

If your trip takes you to the south and youā€™re planning to do some backslapping for your team while visiting the Zugspitze, Iā€™ll happily invite you for a drink or coffee!
Greetings :hibiscus:

4 Likes

Hi Gordon ,
Me too ,Every time I zapped back and forth I thought ouch, too bad for Gordon ā€¦ but I also really thought: Would Andrea like football and our other German friends from here, difficult but I have always had a great sympathy for the Scots and that is also the case. that in some places there were more Scottish kilts than German lederhosenā€¦

I havenā€™t started following football myself in recent years, but I will watch the Dutch if I donā€™t have another party or something and I will see a lot of the summaries from other country`s ā€¦ but this Andrea

:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: seems very cool to me with all the fun that it has to come with it, have a lot of fun and I hope that you can enjoy this despite the dip/daily crxp you are inā€¦ :sunflower:

Greetings

1 Like

Hello Nick and a warm welcome to our amazing Community. Itā€™s great to see you here. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the problem with us footie :soccer: fans - we live for the game, watch our hopes be dashed and our hearts broken, and keep coming back for more. Hey Gordon, maybe you can channel your grief into writing a song about football!
-Michael

2 Likes

Thanks
I thought it was about time I sorted myself out !!!

1 Like

Itā€™s good to be able to fly under the radar and let Gordon take all the flack :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes
3 Likes

Thanks for the link @Richard_close2u. I found the chords and strummed through it once, so now I have TWO football anthems! Iā€™ve been practicing Youā€™ll Never Walk Alone for several months and can play it passably. One quick set of chord changes is challenging: Dm - B flat - F - Dm - Gmā€¦
Iā€™m working on getting some fingerstyle into it.

2 Likes

The Del Amitri song describes Scotland as ā€˜long shotsā€™.
Gambling speak for a team (in this instance) with a slim chance of success.

It would be entirely remiss of me not to take this opportunity to share another song, titled The Longshot.
Its meaning is more literal in this lyric - the action of kicking the ball a great distance away from goal in the vain hope of it being on target and beating the goalkeeper.
Such a goal effort would also class as a slim-chance type of long shot.

This is more relevant to domestic league football but hey, it is a wonderful song and although Iā€™m not a football fan it often brings an emotional lump to my throat and tear to my eye.

Dedicated to @sairfingers

3 Likes

Hi Andrea. No, it was a bit of a last minute decision to travel East into Germany. We were in Luxembourg and thought ā€œletā€™s goā€. Iā€™ve havenā€™t been to a major football tournament since Spain ā€˜82 (nearly did Italia ā€˜90 and France ā€˜98). So we drove over to Munich for the atmosphere and watched the match in a huge fanzone area.
We are already back in France so canā€™t take you up on your kind offer of coffee or beer/wine. Thanks so much for the offer.
I hope the Scottish fans continue to make a good impression in your country. We are certainly extremely passionate, unfortunately our team often fails to perform and this is the first major tournament weā€™ve qualified for since France ā€˜98 when - again - we played in the opening match against Brazil in Paris!

1 Like

Hi James. Happy to take the flack. :smile:
I hope you can join with me and wish our English chums all the best for the game against Serbia tomorrow. :lying_face:

3 Likes

Hi Richard. Haha yes. Written if I remember correctly for Scotlandā€™s France ā€˜98 World Cup foray, but as ever, we did come home too soon. :slightly_frowning_face::smiley:
Must be one of the best football related songs though in terms of melody and vocal performance.
Remember this one? Argentina ā€˜78. Ally MacLeod was the Scotland manager and actually lived next door to my then soon to be in-laws!

Just listened to ā€™Longshotā€™. What a great song. Lovely guitar play (which is what we should be concentrating on here!) The lyrics and harmonies are beautiful and very emotional. Thanks for that one Richard.
Sounds like something @Eccleshall could have a go at.

3 Likes