Traveler - November 2022 - Travis Tritt, George Strait, Garth Brooks, Chris Stapleton, John Prine, Pink Floyd, Colter Wall & more

RE: The Old Apartment—Barenaked Ladies
Love the energy and dynamics in this performance, Travis, the gusto and growl in the vocal.

I see you’ve been enthusiastic in posting up recordings in AVOYP. The Community is now so active that you may get more people watching and commenting if you spread the posting out a bit. And perhaps strike more balance in sharing your own recordings with the offering of feedback or just encouragement to other posters.

4 Likes

Hats off to you for sharing your tracks publicly. Well done!

I come here for the guitar, so I will begin my comments there. Your strumming and chording is steady and true. Not knowing where you are in your guitar journey, consider adding some dynamics to your playing. As a dyed in the wool open cowboy chord strummer, I know what a challenge that can be. Some ideas to ponder:

• We don’t have to strum every string on every chord. Doing so will drone on and cause ear fatigue in the listener over time. Accent the bass and/or treble strings at certain times. Single note picking and bass runs are always welcome to the ear.
  • Build up to the chorus. Play your verses with conviction as you have done, and then open it up and let 'er rip in the choruses. Justin has some lessons on this concept.

Your vocals really popped! Nice growl from those pipes. Consider doing a cover of this song: Temple Of The Dog - Hunger Strike - YouTube
Easy chords and with your vocal range (which I don’t have) you would slay it. Being a fatty makes me uncomfortable singing, “I’m going hungry” as well. LOL

3 Likes

I love that song! I have muddled around with it some but I will concentrate on Hunger Strike more the next couple weeks!

Thank you for your detailed, thoughtful post. A few months ago I was struggling with strumming, and I’m starting to get there, and I’m practicing changing patterns between bars, but what I’m really noticing now is the difference between strumming when I’m singing versus not singing.

Awesome feedback. Thanks again!

1 Like

Wow Travis, what an energetic performance. Really good playing and singing. Enjoyed listening a lot :smiley:.

1 Like

Thank you! That song really reminds me of my youth.

1 Like

This was my last recording in my garage. Winter is setting in now!

Grey—Cody Jinks

Hey man some nice collection you have here going! Really like how your voice sounds, I think you would do great singing Rag n Bone Man songs. I only knew Bare Naked Ladies song and I think you did it justice, well done!

1 Like

Thank you very much! I’m just trying to get better every day! I’m developing a pretty eclectic repertoire :metal:

This is one of my first recordings, from about 6 months ago, but I want to record this again soon after learning what I have since that time.

I have another thread with past recordings in it, but I haven’t figured out how to add links to the existing template. Please bear with me as I learn to navigate the site.

I kind of do my own thing with this song, but it’s one of my favorites to play!

The Sound of Silence

3 Likes

I was hoping to find other recordings that people have of this song, but I didn’t see any.

Hi Travis,
It’s good to see that you are so enthusiastic about posting videos, Justin also calls for that in his newsletter,…but you post so much in a row that it’s getting a bit too much to keep up with and that’s why many of your videos have already been bundled in their own topic,… it’s a good idea that you post all your older work in that thread for the time being ,…
If you stands on your own avatar and then clicks on topic’s you can find the collection thread there …
Wish you lots of fun,
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Yes, thank you Roger. I tried doing that but couldn’t figure it out.

I’ll give it another go!

1 Like

@roger_holland Roger, Thanks for the tip. I’ve been in the forum for 5 months and didn’t know that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I put this fingerstyle version up a while a go

I struggled to hear the version you posted, was very quiet.

1 Like

Hi

Interesting take on the song.
Vocal sounds a bit like the Disturbed version, but with a more country edge to it.

Nice one.

Digger

1 Like

I’m looking forward to listening to your version! I haven’t tried it finger style yet.

Overall, my recording quality was pretty bad in this video. All of my recordings have been on my lovely iPhone 8 so far. I need to improve that….

Thank you @Digger72!! That’s kind of what I was going for. I have a tendency to add a country vibe to a lot of what I play.

Have to agree with Digger, as soon as I heard the vocals, it cried Disturbed ! But hey that works for me as I love their version (and its more my range as well :wink: ). Well done Travis, enjoyed that.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank you! The disturbed version is definitely my favorite, specifically, the live version on Jimmy Kimmel in 2016.

1 Like

Hoping to find others that also play this song/band. Cheers all! It’s really a piano song with some awesome lead fills by Zakk Wylde, but I am liking my rendition more and more.

In This River—Black Label Society

1 Like