Traveler - November 2022 - Travis Tritt, George Strait, Garth Brooks, Chris Stapleton, John Prine, Pink Floyd, Colter Wall & more

Thank you @Eddie_09!! Zakk Wylde is one of my favorite guitar players. This is really a piano song so it was interesting to transcribe.

Nice vocals. Deep and strong. Clean guitar. Definitely at gig standard. :clap::clap:

1 Like

Thank you @RonG !! I still have much to improve upon, but I’m getting more and more comfortable all of the time!

Sound realy great ! Solid rythm. Good sound. Good left hand. Sing with style. Good intonation.
Man ! Bravo Travis ! You say just over 2 years !!! WOW ! You’re a natural. You motivate me to practice and see the light. Thank you.

1 Like

That’s really nice of you to say @BigLuc !! I am technically at the 2 and a half year point as I started from scratch in May of 2020.

The truth is, I kind of feel like I’m just getting started. I have never wondered what I had to work on next or felt like I had a lack of options, for anything. I attribute a lot of that to Justin and how streamlined his course is.

However, I have also been intrinsically motivated since the beginning, and I was able to apply the drive that I have in other areas of my life to music, and I was lucky that happened at the very beginning of the journey.

I have hit many walls along the way—playing faster, strumming, making changes quick enough, the full F barre, sliding frets (was terrible at that tor a while), picking out the correct strings, etc. All of it really. But I kept my head down and was adamant about overcoming obstacles.

Also, I often play for 2 hours a day (hour of practice, mostly following Justin’s suggestions, and an hour of song work, because that’s the gravy and where it all comes together), and usually either Friday or Saturday night I play for 4-5 hours, almost always just song work. Those Friday and Saturday time slots have turned into gigs, and I’m actually often saying no to gigs because I don’t want to get completely wrapped up in that yet.

Keep working. Don’t stop playing. It’s going to be frustrating. I have been frustrated in practice tonight because I’m starting to work on bending, and I’m pretty bad at it. That’s probably my next hurdle. I say, bring it on!

This was a fun recording for me because it was the day I bought my Stratocaster. I was really neglecting playing electric up until this point.

Rivers Of Babylon—Sublime

Hi Travis ! First, thank you for your so nice and elaborate answer. Secondly, I must say I’m impress you gig around after two years and a half learning guitar. Bravo ! It tells me the amount of work and the constancy, the determination. Bravo ! Also, your answer confronted me to my own daily practice time. I just began last august with JG and couldn’t practice more than 20 minutes a day for a while because of finger pain (glad Justin is telling us to begin with 20 minutes a day… ;-). After this finger pain period, my practice time climed up to around one hour a day. After earing you play and reading your mail, it made me think about organising my daily scedule to enable me to practice 2 hours a day. So I began to do so yesterday and the very next day (today), I already found a difference in my playing, my fingers precision, etc. Thoughtful. I will see if I can keep this rythm up with my work, my day job. But ‘till now, man, I love it. I’m at a experimental stage. So, even if it was not your intention, you confronted me and I want to thank you for it, whatever happens in the futur. Take good care colleage and keep on playing and signing so good !

1 Like

Thanks @BigLuc !!

Life is crazy, and life is busy. I have a wife, 3 kids and a demanding job that are my priority, and consume a lot of my time. It can be very difficult to cram that two hours of musicianship in sometimes, but I do my best!

Often during the week, I chunk my practice. Sometimes it’s 3 separate 20 minute segments, sometimes it’s 2 30 minute blocks. Then I will pursue my song work after I get my kids to bed. My wife is very supportive (sometimes “tolerant” might be a better word, ha!), but generally if I have a guitar in front of me, or I’m putting pencil to paper in some fashion, she leaves me be.

She also often sings with me, which makes it fun. She has a good voice. Perhaps I will post one of our duet recordings in the near future!

I guess my point is, the 2 hour a day routine doesn’t always hold up, and that’s ok. I rarely go 2 days in a row without following it though.

1 Like

Lovely! This is one of the first pop tunes I have a memory of (from the release by Boney M in 1978), and your version is a great one, great strumming consistency all the way through.

I agree with some of the other comments, that a small tweak to the recording set-up to have you facing more square-on to the camera, and occupying a little more of the frame would be nice (more like the OM style). Far from essential though!

1 Like

Thank you! I’m working on improving my live recording gear to make higher quality videos. You can see some improvement from my earliest videos to now (I just recorded “Anywhere with you” a few days ago).

Thanks again for the feedback!

1 Like

I was hoping to find other people that have recordings of this song but I didn’t see any.

Let Her Cry—Hootie and the Blowfish

4 Likes

If anybody has any recordings of Hootie songs it would be great to discuss/take a look at some Hootie!

Hi there Travis. Yes, I’ve covered this song as well. I’ll share a recording soon. I have Kenny Chesney on deck first for my next song to post this week.

1 Like

Good job and your garage looks like mine lol

1 Like

Awesome! I’ll look forward to that.

Thank you! It’s got a little bit of everything going on. Ha! I have several outbuildings but this is my only one with electric right now.

Nice job playing this one. One thing I do on this song is suspend my middle finger on the C right after “Let her cry” kind of hammer on and off if you play a regular C chord ( not c add 9) . It adds a little flavor kind of a riff. Do the same after let her sing and let her go. Just my spin on it to spice it up.

Thanks for sharing

I’ll add a video of my version soon. This is a great song from years ago.

Jeff

1 Like

Thank you!!

I will definitely try that :+1:

I have somewhat recently started adding more flavor to songs that I have memorized/have played in the past. It’s seeming like I’m instinctively doing that more in rehearsal before gigs. It’s been helpful!

Hi Travis, you really have a great voice for this song in particular, really enjoyed the recording. My word of advice is to try to use some sort of a more complex yet simple strumming pattern for this, something like one below works out pretty well. I have this song on my list to learn and record one day but that’s for some other time :grinning: thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Great advice, thank you!

My strumming can get a little repetitious at times. It has improved steadily, but I probably need to focus on it a little more :+1:

I’m gonna take a look at that pattern you posted. Thanks again!