tRONd’s learning log

Congratulations @tRONd on your Open Mic. It will be the first of many I’m sure.

Happy new amp day also.
But hey - never mind the amp … is that really the view from your window? Oh my … that is some beautiful scenery. When are you inviting us all to visit? :wink:

Thanks @Richard_close2u
Yep. Its a view straight onto a mountain pass called Norefjell
That is the southern part, or the beggining on northern Europes biggest «high mountain platou» called Hardangervidda.
Hardangervidda is a popular area for tourism from all over the world. In wintertime though it can be a pretty fierce area to be in.
As a funfact.
When Amundsen won the race to the southpole against Scott. He used Hardangervidda as a training ground. Because that area is not very unlike what you can find on the southpole…
He later stated that it was far worse to train on Hardangervidda than going to the southpole. They hit a fierce storm and had to dig in. The whole crew almost lost their lives.
If so… Scott would win that race and history would be a little bit different :grin:

Every one of you are more than welcome whenever you guys/girls like. If you ever crossing by Norway for some reason, give me a shout and i can show you the «high mountains» remember warm clothes though :rofl:

3 Likes

Like so many things in guitar, and indeed in life, the first time is the toughest step to take. Now you know that you can do it, because you’ve done it. And as I’ve said before, I had no idea and have no memory of the flubs.

My memory is of your intro banter that made me smile, the way you slipped into a vamp over which you entranced us with the guided visualisation, and then into the song. You sold the story of the song, I felt engaged, exactly how ‘perfect’ the performance was is of no consequence once you are beyond the point of working towards being able to play with clean chords, smooth changes, and steady rhythm.

For many, maybe all of us, the live performance is to a greater or lesser degree, like the elegant swan gliding across the lake while the webbed feet thrash away wildly unseen. My first OM was live face-face … between each song my hands were literally shaking, my body felt taut, I struggled to breathe. That was 9 months before Covid brought its shutdown. Two years later after 7 Community live experiences, and maybe 8 face-face OMs, I’m far more relaxed. I still make flubs, most often people say they never noticed and given I don’t notice all there self-proclaimed flubs, I’ll take that as truth.

So look forward with confidence and belief for the next. If you can seek out a local face-face, the more you do the more confident and accomplished you’ll become as a performer and entertainer. And you are already well on your way!

3 Likes

I take all that youre saying to heart @DavidP
Hopefully it is as you say and it is a bit «easier» after a while. And maybe we are our own worst critics and faults you do dont appear so clear as i thought.
Anyway… more opportunities on OMs down the road :grin: had a blast before and after my performance :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Great achievement Trond and you have every reason to be proud of yourself.

Nerves are such strange creatures aren’t they ? Like you say with all your preparation, that suddenly goes out the window come showtime. Does it get better ? Yes it eases a little but having them there keeps you on your game. When we did the Livestream experiment with Justin last year, the question of nerves came up in a lot of the chats and he openly admitting to still “bricking it” on bigger occasions and the bigger the event the bigger the nerves. Apparently, its how you channel them - I’m still trying to figure that one out! So no surprising us mere mortals suffer. We’re only human after all (Don’t put the blame on me). :wink:

More opportunities to come this year, just watch and listen for the call.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

It was great seeing you flourishing yesterday Trond, I think for a debut you did exceptionally well and I really enjoyed a little mood setting in the beginning, it was something else comparing to all other performances so far (and we had Brian in a blue wig recently)! :joy:

I make mistakes all the time while live, either lyrics or loosing my voice or guitar stuff - my milestone yesterday was being able to win the battle against right hand shaking while fingerpicking so I take this little win with me :grin: and you take yours with you and carry on until the next one! :wink:

2 Likes

Hehehe… thanks Adrian :pray:

I have managed to see a few of the performances including yours. To me yours looks pretty flawless.
That was a fine tribute to Taylor Hawkins and FF!!

And looking on my own it was not so bad that my impression was. I had a wrong lyric, but that fitted in in some weird way.
And the chords were not that terrible either. So its very strange how the brain works when doing things like this.

But i am superhappy i did it :grin: i was so nervous that i did not remember the name of the song :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Haha it can be nerve wrecking but after doing all OMs excluding one I feel nerves are somehow dropping out a bit which is a great thing. You will see one day you will have the same :wink:

2 Likes

@tRONd
Thanks for the geographical / historical notes. Fascinating stuff. I paid a virtual visit to Norefjell through the wonders of modern technology. Stunning. You have a huge lake not far away too. :slight_smile:

Yes. That is very correct Richard. Its called «Krødern» its just a few hundred meters from were i live. I have that lake between me and the mountains.

You make it sound so appealing! :flushed:

Hahahahaha!!! Yeah. I can see your point :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nice read, Trond. After seeing one or two of your AVOYP videos, I wanted to see if you had a learning log, and saw this. A little late but finally got here. Your method of learning seems to be working well for you. Keep it up.

Thanks Pamela :pray: appreciate it :grin:

Hi Trond,

wow, that sounds super-impressive.

“closer to 3 hours. Some days even more.” – And that every day? Where do you find that much time? :hushed:

And sorry if the question is stupid: but what is an AVOYP? :thinking:

Hi Oliver.
Yeah. 2-3 hours a day is riddiculous. I know… i have a job were i am very much on and off. Means i am weeks in my home. So wife and kids are of too school and work, i play guitar on the day time :rofl:
And when i am at work i also have the opportunity to play a lot.
( i work in the oil industry in the north sea )Every oil rig is set up with a musicroom and a gym. Guess it is to prevent people from going crazy :rofl:

If i had a regular «9-4» job i would never had that opportunity. That would just not work out for me at all…

An AVOYP is « a video of yourself playing» evereyone is free to post a film of your self in this forum. Infact i would very much encourage you to do it… a lot of helpful people can then help you out… and its a lot of fun… just nice easy going people here, nothing to be afraid of. Even of it sounds a bit scary :grin:

@Klimperer42

Oliver, you can check it out here: #record-yourself-progress-performance:audio-video-of-you-playing

@tRONd
Interesting job, but definitely not my cup of tea :wink:
For me it‘s a more regular job, but rather “8:30-5”, or a bit more on most days.

I‘ve never filmed myself playing music. I did some recordings of myself playing piano and singing. But that was always audio only. Video doesn‘t really work with my approach, as I usually record several tracks and also do a bit of „post-processing“. So there‘s never the one recording that I could film.

@Klimperer42
It’s actually ‘Audio Video of You Playing’. Many people post audio only recordings.

1 Like

Ahhhh!! That makes sense :rofl: