Trying out new MIC and AI! All the Pretty Girls - KALEO (Cover)

Hey folks, I’m back with a new cover.

It’s a simple acoustic folksy song, but I’m seeing this band tomorrow so have been learning it, also thought it could be a good try to get out of my comfort zone since I don’t usually sing that “gentle”, not too sure about it though.

I’m debuting my Focusrite Scarlett Studio, I’m very pleased with it although the gain control is very delicate. And I just noticed the MIC is covering my fretting hand in the video :sweat_smile:

Also tried out Ableton since it came with the AI, Cakewalk is what I had been using but can’t really fix the latency there, with Ableton is working pretty well in that area.

Try to enjoy and as always tips are appreciated, cheers!

13 Likes

That’s great, Kevin! Not familiar with the original, but you owned that in my opinion buddy! Vocals are brilliant, nothing to worry about there, in fact they are what really drew me into the performance, top stuff! :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Very nicely played and sung, you should be really proud of that. Your singing was excellent. Bravo

1 Like

Beautiful job in both the playing and singing. Has anyone ever told you your voice seems like it would fit well for a Pearl Jam song?..Maybe even the Jeff Healey band from the early 90s. Picturing the song “angel eyes”. Whatever you choose to perform I can tell it will be great.

Any advice for what type of microphone to buy for recording? I have been procrastinating on that for a while and need to pick one soon if I ever want quality sound.

Thanks for posting

Jeff

1 Like

That was delightful, Kevin. I think the ‘gentle’ singing allowed for more texture and nuance in the vocal and the tone of the guitar was so good. I’d say this is right up there with your finest performances.

Based on seeing a single input on the AI, I figure the mic was recording both guitar and vocal. Balance is a tricky thing with a single mic and I felt at times you could have sung a little softer, which may have allowed even more feeling to come through. Not saying there was anything wrong with the overall sound as you have it. This sense of balance and overall vibe becomes super subjective and very much opinion rather than fact-based feedback.

Bravo. I’d love more in this style and vibe.

1 Like

Perfect performance!

1 Like

Lovely song and really well played Kevin, that was a lovely vocal performance, you should sing “gentle” more often, it really suits your voice. Bravo :heart_hands:

A question if I may… is that recording both guitar and vocals through the mic? I’m messing with recording with my acoustic and just can’t get a good balance with taking the guitar through the mic. Looks like you’re a couple of feet or so from the mic? Where’s the gain on the scarlett for it?

1 Like

You must be pleased with the the Scarlet setup really sounds nice and you’ve got it well balanced. Didn’t know the song but really nice performance, got a nice vibe to it.

1 Like

Love it Kevin :star_struck:

Still plenty of tone and soul in your ‘gentle’ voice :+1:

1 Like

Nice man! What mic is that? I have thought about getting a focusrite and a mic! Are you using obs to record?

1 Like

That was lovely Kevin. I don’t know the song but I really enjoyed your performance. Guitar and vocal tones were excellent along with a solid strum and pick style. Well done.

1 Like

Done… I did. :grinning:

1 Like

Not familiar with the song but it was nicely played and sung, good job.

1 Like

Very enjoyable listen. Play and vox sound really good. I do agree with DavidP about the balance between vox and guitar, but all things considered, this is a very well done track.

1 Like

Great song Kevin and your playing and vocals were superb :clap:t2: :clap:t2: :clap:t2: just googled the band they’re definitely worth a listen.

1 Like

Hi,
Nicely done, sounds good. Your recording is -12.4dB low at YouTube. You might want to up you output considerably to get closer to the “0” limit.

Mic sounds pretty good, is that the one that comes in the bundle with the AI? What brand/model is it?

Good stuff all around and keep on working to improve!
LB

1 Like

Sounded good, sir! New gear can inspire. Well done!

1 Like

Wow, you really thrive in this kinf of setting and song.

I envy that timbre! :smiley:

Fine playing and sweet recording quality; you’re doing this right!

1 Like

Simply wonderful, Kevin. So enjoyable :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. Thanks a lot for sharing :grinning:.

1 Like

Very, very well done mate! Terrific performance, both playing and singing. Sounds you’ve got that Scarlett/ mic sorted already. Perfect balance.
Close your eyes, and thats a radio song right there. :+1:

PS. My wife just popped her head over my shoulder and said “Who’s that”. I said, “That’s my mate Kevin”. “Wow, he’s really good”. “Yes he is love, yes he is”.

Cheers, Shane

4 Likes