Vintage Clubs - potential topics for future sessions in 2024

1. Pick manipulation and suggestions on holding onto it while strumming and playing.
  2. Suggestions on when to move on to the next lesson because some you can move through quickly others you need to work on longer.
  3. Tips on singing and learning songs without backtracking.
1 Like

@Richard_close2u thanks for the invite and all the work you put into these clubs. Looking forward to the next one.

Regards
Adrien

1 Like

For me rhythm is the most important!

1 Like

Agreed! I can’t strum for more than a couple of minutes before the pick starts moving/rotating. Resorted to Sellotape to help with this!

1 Like

An exercise I know of (I can’t remember if I saw it in one of Justin’s lessons or somewhere else now) is to develop your pick control by deliberately rotating the pick through 360 degrees (in both directions) while playing. Note that this means consciously moving the pick, not merely allowing it to rotate!

This means that you won’t always be strumming ‘perfectly’ during the drill, as some times the ‘picking end’ will be nowhere near the strings, meanwhile it will help you develop the skills needed to get the pick back into the correct position if it does wander.

3 Likes

I’ve not tried that as I’m consciously trying not to let the pick rotate! It’s not just the rotate though as the pick seems to slide between my fingers and I end up holding it at the very end.

1 Like

Hi all.

Next session Monday 15th 7-8pm UTC is going to be focused on ‘practice’.
By popular demand.

Beyond that, I would like to run a series of topics in a carousel style. I am thinking about bouncing between a few topics and at different levels of difficulty. This would make expectations a little clearer, remove some of the frustration evident in feedback that the material is either too easy or too difficult and give people time between sessions to work on the skills and techniques.
Example topics could be:
[1] Rhythm Part 1 Grades 1-2 (rhythm & strumming techniques & patterns)
[2] Triads Part 1 Grade 3 (finding and playing triad shapes)
[3] Fingerstyle Part 1 Grade 2-3 (first steps and simple picking patterns)
[4] Rhythm Part 2 Grade 2 (rhythm & strumming techniques & patterns)
[5] Triads Part 2 Grade 3-4 (using triads in a rhythm part)
[6] Fingerstyle Part 2 Grade 2-3 (4/4 and 6/8 patterns)

And so on.

I don’t have a finalised structure yet. Nevertheless, I want to put the idea out there.

8 Likes

Works for me Richard. Add another 4 and you’ll have your “starter for 10”.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

I think that sounds really good. Now, I suppose that people below a certain grade requirement are free to participate in more demanding session as long as they know that the content is not necessarily targeted at them? :slightly_smiling_face:

Perhaps redundant question since I wasn’t active in the community when these live clubs started: How can I participate? Should I register as an “old :dog2:” first?

1 Like

Nicole

Just click Join in the link below for any clubs you wish to attend. You will then get a follow up email. :sunglasses:

The carousel idea works for me. I will then know the ones that I should be able to understand and can watch the higher grade ones with interest, fully expecting to not fully understand what’s going on.

3 Likes

Check this Vintage Club #4 preview - and the downloadable resource

5 Likes

Sounds like just what I need. Having just updated my Learning Log, I find entries in most of your mindmap boxes. I would love to be able to be structured on a spreadsheet, and stick to it like @TheMadman_tobyjenner , but I know I lack the discipline. I have the goals which are achievable, some maybe not measurable enough. Now I just need a plan to keep them moving !!

Updating is the easy part. Sticking to it is another matter :rofl: and yes a good does of discipline. My motivation is high at the moment and the days are still long and dark, so plenty of practice time. :sunglasses:

8 posts were split to a new topic: When can I expect a confirmation email when I register for a JustinGuitar Club?

Looking forward to attending this Club for the 1st time too! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

ANNOUNCEMENT

| Vintage Club #5 | 22 January 2024 | Preview

Students will require acoustic or electric guitar and writing materials.

Activities prior to the session / session preview

We are going to be listening to and playing along with drum tracks to work on and improve our sense of rhythm and playing with a good time-feel.

Prior to the session, listen to this audio track.

It is a rhythm track at 100 beats per minute (bpm). You first hear a voice counting a consistent 1, 2, 3, 4 with percussion to match. They continue and are joined by bass guitar and drums. Listen to the drum hit on the first beat - it is a little different with an open hi-hat sound and this is an audio clue. The drum gives another audio clue on the fourth beat with a double hit on the snare.

• Your task is to listen and count.
  • Your task is to listen and count and tap and clap.
  • Your task is to listen and count and strum your strings (muted to start, on a chord when you’re ready).
  • Your task is to get a full sense of the rhythm and time feel of the track.

About half way through the voice stops counting. Thank goodness! It does become annoying.

• Your task is to continue keeping long after the recorded voice stops.

Counting out loud and moving your body and clapping and tapping and strumming will help to embed the rhythm and time.

6 Likes

Further …

Vintage Club #5 is about rhythm and will be aimed mostly at Grade 1 and early Grade 2 beginners, plus those who find keeping in time challenging.
More experienced players are, of course, welcome, and would hopefully benefit from and enjoy it. Hands-on guitar activities will be given where experienced players can apply more advanced skills iif the general content is too basic.

2 Likes

Great summation Richard. With such a range of topics and skill sets, I would favor a tier of lessons geared to advanced beginners or early intermediates. I sense many of us Oldsters have the basics in hand and want to be challenged by these sessions - which I’m sure you can do.

I’m hoping to sweep from some simple sessions on a few topics, and over time, extend and expand them to take them to more challenging places.
Fingers crossed.
:slight_smile:

1 Like